PDA

View Full Version : Stroller or Carrier?

Nosrac
01-21-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a fairly light weight stroller - Peg Perego Aria. My infant and I are both extremely happy with it. However, we live in an area where there is a lot of public transportation. I feel that I need something more compact/easier to carry getting on/off busses, trains and elevated trains. Would it be better to get an umbrella stroller - Mac Volo/Triumph or some form of carrier? I'll add that my infant is 6 1/2 months old and very active and quite large for my petite frame.

codex57
01-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm a stroller fan myself. DW is petite too and yeah, she can't really handle carrying the baby for that long.

AnnieW625
01-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I think I remember reading a couple of years ago when I was in the market for a lightweight stroller that the Aria was about 13 lbs, which is the same as the Triumph or Volo. I ended up going with a Triumph, but if you are happy with the Aria then I'd just stick with that, but I think it's wider than a Triumph. I'd try it on public transit and see how it goes first before buying a second stroller.

I didn't start babywearing until my daughter was almost 2, and I bought a Beco Carrier, which I love (and a year later still loves it!) and they also work for smaller infants as they have an infant insert. I'd try a few and see which one you like. I preferred the Beco to the Ergo and I am 5'6" and have an athletic frame. The Beco as a whole seems much more comfy to me than the Bjorn ever did (I only used it with her until I went back to work at 4 mos.).

ETA: the Volo has absolutely no recline, I'd spend the extra and get the Triumph.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I'd wear the baby for most things. I also love my Beco carrier. Ergos are good too. It's just so nice not to have to worry about a stroller and if you are taking the subway you won't have to look for an elevator.

Beth

kate2128
01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I think having a comfortable carrier is key, especially if you live in an urban area. If you try some different types, you should be able to find one that's comfortable. I'm a big wrap lover myself, but they take some getting used to. My dh prefers the Ergo or a Mei Tai.

jetrlw
01-22-2009, 02:37 AM
I am also a fan of the Ergo carrier. Very comfy. Used it when my DD was a few weeks old and still use at 18 months. I also have a Mac Volo which is extremely lightweight < 10 lbs. When I am going to be out and about on public transportation for extended period of time I prefer to use the Volo. It is nice to have both options as sometimes I end up carrying both (that way I can put baby in stroller if I get tired). When the baby is in the carrier, I end up using the stroller to carry my diaper bag/shopping bags :-) The Ergo carrier can roll up and fit in the basket under stroller.