PDA

View Full Version : Marble Floor Tiles for Kid Bathroom?

marchmommy
01-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, I'm two weeks away from my due date for baby #3, and my nesting instinct convinced me (crazily) to agree to have a contractor demolish the kids' bathroom with the promise it would be done in two weeks! I need to pick out everything ASAP!

I'm thinking of white subway tile for the walls, and need to decide what to put on the floors. Would big marble square tiles be too slippery for the kids' bath? I know penny (little round) tiles go with subway tile, but I'm wary of too much grout (having it look dirty), and just wondering about other pretty options with bigger tiles for the floor. It's a very small bathroom, if that means anything....

Also, which is easier to take care of for fixtures--polished chrome or satin nickel???

TIA!!!!

kcimato
01-21-2009, 10:39 PM
We have marble tiles in our basement bathroom and a hallway and it is slippery when wet. I also have polished chrome in our powder room and just installed satin nickle in the master bath. It is awesome and easier to keep clean than the polished chrome.

sste
01-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Slippery. Requires upkeep and can spot. I would hesitate . . .

marchmommy
01-21-2009, 11:16 PM
OK--so large marble tiles sound too slippery. What about tiny little marble squares--would all that grout prevent it from getting slippery??? Or, anyone do penny tiles and love it for the floor? Or any other suggestions for a nice look with white subway tile on the walls???

spanannie
01-22-2009, 12:20 AM
My son's bath has white subway tile on the wall and Bianca Carrara marble (medium size) brick laid on the floor. We've never had a problem with slipperiness or spotting and it's held up just fine to him for the past 3 years. We used polished chrome everywhere, and I'd most definitely use polished chrome with that look. I do love the look of the penny tiles, too. I'm planning on doing that in our next house. Good luck!

marchmommy
01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Do you know the dimensions of the brick size marble? What color grout did you use? So you think the chrome looks a lot better than the satin nickel? Thanks for your input--all these decisions are driving me crazy, esp having to decide quickly...