PDA

View Full Version : Someone hurt my baby :(

Wife_and_mommy
01-21-2009, 10:37 PM
This happened a couple of weeks ago but everytime I fix her a lunch it comes to mind and breaks my heart all over again. I wish I'd been left in ignorance. :(

The backstory is that I packed a hb egg in DD's lunch. When she opened it at lunch bunch, the kids didn't like the smell and were extremely rude to her. She told me about it that afternoon where my response was that the teacher should have told them not to be rude but in actuality I thought it was hilarious that these kids thought the egg smelled "funny".

When I told DH about the incident a week or so later, he immediately told me what a privilege I'd experienced that DD shared her experience with me. He went on to say how very hurt DD must have been blah, blah, blah.

I felt like a dunce for not realizing how hurtful this experience was for her and now am just sad every time I pack her a lunch. She won't be getting eggs anymore but I wish I could erase that her feelings were hurt. :cry:

happymomma
01-21-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm so sorry that your DD's feelings were hurt in school. It was great that she was able to share it with you. Which means that it wasn't bottled in. I don't think you should worry too much though. I think kids get over it pretty easily.

Piglet
01-21-2009, 11:42 PM
I think we all had experiences like that growing up (I know I did). You handled it well. I would probably have said the same thing and left it at that. I wouldn't make a big deal about it. I still laugh at my own incident... let's just say it involved chopped liver ;)

tmonroe
01-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I am sorry your DD's feeling were hurt. I think it's so special she came to share what happened.

Wife_and_mommy
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks, ladies. :)

Piglet, I'm glad you can now laugh at yours. Wish we could all be so lucky. ;)

DrSally
01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I think it all depends on how your DD took it. I'm glad she talked to you. What was her tone of voice? Did you ask her how she felt about it? I could see it going either way, DS would either think it was funny as well and laugh or else get hurt feelings.

Wife_and_mommy
01-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I think it all depends on how your DD took it. I'm glad she talked to you. What was her tone of voice? Did you ask her how she felt about it? I could see it going either way, DS would either think it was funny as well and laugh or else get hurt feelings.

Looking back on it, her tone seemed embarassed(why I didn't show my feeling it was funny). Obviously it was important enough to her to mention it to me and she said the kids were saying(loudly) "eww. that's stinky". So it wasn't a haha funny moment to her.

DH was really upset by it(he was made fun of at her age for his hair) so that had an impact on me too. DD is doing fine though. I've been telling her what I put in her lunch so she doesn't wonder about it. She doesn't seem to dwell on it which I'm glad of. I felt so bad that I hadn't picked up on what happened till DH clued me in.

Thanks for your thoughts, Dr. S. :)

DrSally
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Ah, I understand better now. It was unclear b/c of your 2 opposite reactions, I wasn't sure what her own reaction was. It's obvious she was a bit embarrassed, but a really good sign she came to you. You still have the power to make things better :)

Corie
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
The backstory is that I packed a hb egg in DD's lunch. When she opened it at lunch bunch, the kids didn't like the smell and were extremely rude to her. She told me about it that afternoon where my response was that the teacher should have told them not to be rude but in actuality I thought it was hilarious that these kids thought the egg smelled "funny".

I would have had the same reaction that you did! Honestly, my husband
would have laughed too.

To me, the situation doesn't really sound hurtful. It just sounds like kids
being honest. (And kids are very honest!)

My daughter probably wouldn't have told your DD that her egg was stinky
but she may have plugged her nose and gagged. My daughter is very
sensitive to smells and has a horrendous gag reflex which can go right
into a vomit.

I think it's great that your daughter told you what happened but I would
have just laughed it off too. Laughter helps to diffuse the situation.

I think your husband's reaction could almost make your daughter feel worse.

Just a thought.

(And FYI, I was bullied every day all through middle school so I do understand
the misery. This situation just feels different to me.)

P.S. I would stay away from hb eggs from now on!! :)

lorinick
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I think you handle it the right way. I'm sure very dd has long forgotten about it by now. Nice she talked to you about it. Kids are very honest like pp said. Kids will be kids. I think at her age it was kids being silly not hurtful.