PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect at an estate sale?

zephyr
01-22-2009, 12:11 AM
I've never been to an estate sale but I see them advertised all the time on craigslist. It sounds interesting and since I love yard sales I think this might be fun. So any tips, btdt, etc. that I should know about? What kind of things are typically sold there? TIA!

MamaMolly
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Usually it is a situation where someone has passed away (often elderly) and the family has hired a company to do an estate sale. IME the family has gone through the house and taken what they wanted, and the rest is sold down to the bare walls. It is kind of like a yard sale inside.

Expect things like: they will open the kitchen cabinets, drawers, etc. for you to rummage in. If something is marked NFS it means not for sale. Don't open doors or closets marked with a sign saying not to, otherwise feel free to have a poke around.

I've found some great stuff, vintage designer clothes, costume jewelry, hankies, good furniture, etc. It is a great place to get Pyrex for cheap! If the sellers have any clue at all they have gone through the house carefully and have a good idea of what something is worth, but don't be afraid to offer less. I've even left my name and number, and said that if item X is still there at the end of the sale to ask the family if they'd take (what ever price I'd offer that was in reason). I wouldn't do this unless I had cash in hand, and I wouldn't make an insultingly low offer (because they won't bother to ask!) but it has worked sometimes.

Good luck!

AngelaS
01-22-2009, 07:54 AM
I have found GORGEOUS antique linens at estate sales and nice, older kitchen stuff that's better than the stuff you can buy now.

I've found that there are often a LOT of dealers at estate sales---the ones who snatch stuff up to eBay or put in the local antique mall--but if you go you can still find treasures.

mdb78
01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
DH goes to estate sales and resells on Ebay. Let me just say he's done very well!

Happy 2B mommy
01-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Much of my house is furnished with estate sale finds! Overall, the items are nicer/better quality than a typical yard sale - as pp said, the items belonged to an elderly person who has either died or can no longer stay in their own home. Sometimes you can bid on items (like a silent auction) Prices usually go down over the sale.

scrooks
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
My DHs family got me into estate sales. Before DD was born we would go every weekend. They vary greatly. Some of the homes are the homes of elderly people that have died. Others are of families relocating to a new home. We have gotten many nice things at great prices. I love to look for books for DD at sales. My MIL has purchased beautiful rugs at a fraction of the cost. My FIL gets great deals on tools. We got DDs entire bedroom set for $300 at a sale. LOTS OF FUN!

kransden
01-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Bring lots of cash! I used to love going to estate sales. I like them a lot better than yard sales because "dead people aren't done with their stuff" kwim? I have gotten lots of nice furniture (wood) from them.

Typically you can find dishes, silverware, kitchen stuff, tools, garden items, Xmas decor, furniture, craft items, linens and jewelry.

Cash talks, don't bring kids - it hinders you from finding good bargains.

The early bird gets the best stuff! The later you go the more likely they are to bargain with you.
Have fun!