PDA

View Full Version : Help me be excited.. fancy new washer arriving today...UPDATE in post 8

kayte
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
SO my very expensive (outrageously so) Maytag Neptune that is only 7 years old is dead.... Actually they changed the parts so to replace one small part that is broken you have to replace of bunch --which is cost prohibitive. SOOO.... a new LG washer is arriving within hours...

But if you keeping score in our house, since Thanksgiving we have needed a new tv and a new oven and now a new washer... Sigh...

I am really trying to be excited about this new fan-dangly HUGE capacity washer --especially since here is a WHOLE WEEK's worth of laundry ready to be washed--- but I just keep seeing dollar signs.

I certainly know there are MUCHHHH worth problems to have.. I just need a little help seeing some silver lining to this situation.

happymomma
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I totally know what you mean. Since we have moved into our new house, we've also had a lot of repairs and appliances. But think of it this way, at least you won't need to replace it for a very very long time. Plus with new washers, it's more efficient and wastes less water. So double yeah!

Melaine
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
I think that is very exciting! If you have to spend $$$ at least it's something you will use each and every week, ya know? HUGE capacity is awesome!

amldaley
01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Oooohh...I love me a fancy washer!

I know it's hard to swallow those appliance bills especially when they hit back to back to back. But I firmly believe a good washer is worth the money. It saves on the eoectric bill, the water bill and allows you to wash clothes specifically totheir instructions, saving on clothing replacement costs.

Just think how exciting that maiden load will be!!!!

lovin2shop
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
You will love the LG! But, I certainly understand your frustration. When I was researching washer/dryers not too long ago, I ran across an article that pointed out that manufacturers now have "planned obsolesence" periods of 5 to 7 years for major appliances as opposed to 15 to 20 years in the past. Nice. Great for the landfills.

misshollygolightly
01-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Hooray for a new washer! Yep--you'll use it practically every single day...it's probably more energy- and water-efficient than your old one...and it sure beats dragging your duds to a laundromat :wink2: Oh, and sometimes new washing machines come with a little sample pack of detergent! I am a total sucker for little sample packs of anything! So teeny and cute :loveeyes: I have a drawer in the bathroom filled with sample sized stuff. And sample size laundry detergent is *perfect* for taking on vacations! Here's hoping your new washer comes with a few fun samples to boot!

niccig
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I know the feeling. I always get buyers remorse on a big purchase. But you NEED a washing machine. You're old one was broken. It's not like you just decided to replace it because you felt like it.
Stop feeling guilty over the money and enjoy getting the washing done, and getting rid of you're old broken machine.

kayte
01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies. I was already feeling somewhat better about the whole thing and then they arrived to install the new machine. AND they found a bulge in the hotwater intake hose on my old machine. The installer said it was very close to breaking!!!! Had it broken it would have been a HUGE mess--- water everywhere and a crazy electric (hot water heater) and water bills to boot!!! So I guess the universe is showing me the silver lining after all!!!

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. My first load is spinning away!

Oh, and no tiny soap samples... but several soap coupons!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/3218742380_111df564da.jpg?v=0

ETA Picture

Lindymagoo
01-22-2009, 07:08 PM
We had our Maytag Neptune washer (also about 7 years old) die a few months ago. Luckily, we got it at BB, with the extended warranty. They ended up switching it out for us, and we got a nice Samsung steam washer, very similar to the LG models. While my Neptune was cutting edge at the time we bought it, this new one is SOOOOO much nicer. Enjoy yours. A new washer ALMOST makes doing laundry fun.

SO my very expensive (outrageously so) Maytag Neptune that is only 7 years old is dead.... Actually they changed the parts so to replace one small part that is broken you have to replace of bunch --which is cost prohibitive. SOOO.... a new LG washer is arriving within hours...

But if you keeping score in our house, since Thanksgiving we have needed a new tv and a new oven and now a new washer... Sigh...

I am really trying to be excited about this new fan-dangly HUGE capacity washer --especially since here is a WHOLE WEEK's worth of laundry ready to be washed--- but I just keep seeing dollar signs.

I certainly know there are MUCHHHH worth problems to have.. I just need a little help seeing some silver lining to this situation.

ThreeofUs
01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Oh my gosh - that's some bulge!

I feel your pain. When we moved into this house, it seemed we were buying a new appliance every month or so. And each one had to be a special, non-standard size because the architect who owned this house before us had special, non-standard tastes - and built the kitchen that way.

So a new stovetop, a new microwave, a new exhaust fan, new ovens, a new water heater came one after another. We felt like we were ripping up $100 bills and throwing them to the winds.

Have great washing, though!

MommyAllison
01-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Wow that is a crazy bulge! We are in the market for a new washer too, and were looking at the LGs. Which one did you get, and how was the maiden voyage? :)

Sweetum
01-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Here's something more: The city I live in offered a $75 rebate for a water-conserving machine which is what my LG is. Additionally, PG&E offered a $150 rebate since it's energy efficient - so there you go - some $$ coming back! So, do definitely check with your city water dept as well as with your energy provider.

HTH
-Sunshine&Me

lil_acorn
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
that is quite a bulge - have you considered changing those over to the metal pipes?

kayte
01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Wow that is a crazy bulge! We are in the market for a new washer too, and were looking at the LGs. Which one did you get, and how was the maiden voyage? :)

We got WM2487

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/home%20appliances_laundry_washers_WM2487HWMA.jhtml

And I LOVE it. Based solely on the crazy article that circulated here a while ago abut how bacteria-laden your wet laundry is--I have been using the sanitize feature for all our undergarments!!!

kayte
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
that is quite a bulge - have you considered changing those over to the metal pipes?

We got some mesh wire enclosed pipes this time!

kayte
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Here's something more: The city I live in offered a $75 rebate for a water-conserving machine which is what my LG is. Additionally, PG&E offered a $150 rebate since it's energy efficient - so there you go - some $$ coming back! So, do definitely check with your city water dept as well as with your energy provider.

HTH
-Sunshine&Me

Wow that's great. I checked with our city--they do offer cash incentives for rain gauges and rain sensor sprinkler systems and radiant barriers but not energy or water efficient appliances (yet)... They really should though because we have been under a watering ban for almost 2 years.