PDA

View Full Version : Soft, cozy crib mattresses

elektra
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
My plan is to pass our rock-hard Colgate Classica I on to the new baby and get DD a cozier crib mattress.
I have been looking at the organic ones like Naturepedic and L.A.Baby Organic, based on some of the reviews here. The IKEA ones seem like they have mixed reviews although I would consider that too.
I like the idea of the organic ones but it's my understanding that it's the inside that is organic and the top/cover isn't? And I am NOT spending $300+ for the full organic one.
Oh, and I feel guilty about 1 child having something not as nice as the other (ex. one organic mattress, one not); I'm sure I'm not the only one!

I was thinking of doing an organic cover though.

I should have just grabbed the L.A. Baby Organic one from Costco when it was there at the $120 price.

That $120 amount is what I am looking to spend, although I may bite the bullet and get the $220 Naturepedic one.
Any other suggestions on a softer mattress for an older baby?

WatchingThemGrow
01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
We have a Simmons formerly Maxipedic, now Slumber Time. Actually, we had one from DD, then had a friend's Colgate. We actually let our friends keep the Colgate and purchased another Simmons 160 coil from BRU last week on sale with an extra coupon. It was about $100.
eta: http://www.target.com/Simmons-Kids-Slumber-Nighttime-Mattress/dp/B000UXSVSU

elektra
01-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks! So is it softer than the Colgate Classica? Coils feel nice and all that? I mean who really knows if DD thinks the Colgate is hard, but since she is older I wanted to get something softer but still appropriate for babies of course. I will then move the new baby into this softer mattress once DD is out of her crib.

WatchingThemGrow
01-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Oh, oops. Forgot to answer that part. Distracted, not me, LOL!

Yes, it is softer, but not flimsy. If you go to BRU and feel the cheaper 104 coil ones and compare it to them, they really seem like they'll bend in 1/2. The 160 coil one (available at BRU also) doesn't, but it isn't as expensive as the 250something one. Anyway, I thought it was a good middle ground, something I would want to sleep on. DD has been on our Colgate the past two nights here at our friend's condo, and I'm just perplexed by the "bounce a quarter off it" feel. The Slumber Time/Super Maxipedic (changing the name right now???) has a touch of give, but not any scary.

kekane
02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
i wouldn't get any of the natural ones that have cotton batting. never used, but seems like a recipe for mold.