PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy my kids are playing nicely...

LarsMal
01-22-2009, 06:51 PM
but I DO NOT like the "game" they are playing. I think every bin and container is empty on the floor right now. DS thinks it is so much fun to take a bin and dump it, then take random items from other bins and "mix it all together". NOT COOL (especially when they have a mother who has worked hard to make sure every single toy they have has a place)!!!! If they cleaned it up I'd have no problem, but somehow the game is over when Mommy says it's time to put everything back where it belongs. I can't even deal with it tonight. I can't wait 'til DH comes home and gets a look at it- will he take the initiative to pick it up (with or w/o the kids- highly doubt it!).

Rock on, kiddos!

ha98ed14
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
You CAN say no. No dumping out everything at the same time. You may *feel* like you are stiffleing their creativity, but if it preserves your sanity, it is worth it. Personally, my rule is 2 bins out at any one time. So if we are done playing with little people and blocks and she wants to get out books and puzzles, we put the first two away. Its the Rule. I can handle the screaming, but I cannot handle the mess.

Twoboos
01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Mmmm, I hear ya. DDs game today was "Move all dollhouse furniture (150 pieces) from dollhouse onto kitchen floor."

As they were doing it I reminded them repeatedly that this would later involve cleaning it all up. When this time came, DD2 put away 2 things and then collapsed b/c she was "so tired" and couldn't "do ALL that stuff!" yah, but you were able to get it ALL out...

saschalicks
01-22-2009, 08:06 PM
This is the bain of my existence. The words "clean up" are not computing to my English speaking children. Right now this is a mass pile of books on the floor from the latest let's-pull-every-book-from-the-shelves (notice plural) game.

hellokitty
01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Oh gosh, our kids shouldn't get together then. Because mine do the same thing and they get such a kick out of it. I get so aggravated and nothing throws me into a bad mood faster than discovering that they dumped every single bin in their playroom. What is the most irritating thing of all is that they suck at picking up toys at home, but at preschool and playdates they are always the most helpful ones when it's time to clean up.

lizajane
01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
You CAN say no. No dumping out everything at the same time. You may *feel* like you are stiffleing their creativity, but if it preserves your sanity, it is worth it. Personally, my rule is 2 bins out at any one time. So if we are done playing with little people and blocks and she wants to get out books and puzzles, we put the first two away. Its the Rule. I can handle the screaming, but I cannot handle the mess.

ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

um, i have said no.

a HUNDRED TIMES.

i have taken the toys away. they don't care.

let's see if it works now that DS1 is on meds... but he has been dumping since he was about 9 months old and i have not managed to stop him yet...i just went and put MYSELF on meds so i could deal with the mess.

ett
01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I totally understand how you feel. I have to stop DS1 every time he says that he's going to "rearrange the toys". All of our toys belong in certain bins/places and I'm really annal about them being stored correctly.