PDA

View Full Version : Best kneeler or stool for bathing baby in tub?

Ladybug47
01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for a good product that protects a mom's knees and back from getting too strained when bathing a baby in the bathtub? If you use a stool, do you kneel on it or sit on it (where do you put your legs -- both on one side)?

infomama
01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Never bought a special stool for bath time. I either kneel on a folded towel or plop down on a small step stool. Works for me.

MarisaSF
01-23-2009, 12:15 AM
First of all -- Congratulations! :yay:

Is this for you and your first baby?

In my experience, little babies are in and out of the tub pretty quickly. By the time kiddo wants to spend any amount of time playing in the bathtub, mama won't need to kneel next to them. :)

In smaller bathrooms, I've sat on the (closed ;)) toilet seat. In larger, pull up a stepstool, towel, or bath mat. Or get in the bathtub with kiddo. Bottom line: save your money for something more fun than a bath kneeler. :)

alien_host
01-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I had a foam mat that is used for gardening (to kneel on) lying around and I used that to cushion my knees. Now that DD is older 3.5 yrs), I just sit on a step stool while keeping her company in the bathroom and then just kneel on the towel to help her wash and rinse.

I also used to sit on the closed toilet, but that has a potty ring on it now and it's easier to sit on the stool and not remove the ring each time.

Ladybug47
02-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I have a foam gardening mat already, so maybe I'll try that out at first and see if it works okay. I do want to get a little step stool at some point, so I guess once I choose one of those I could use it for bathtime as well.

Thank you for all the answers to my question!

hellokitty
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I had a foam mat that is used for gardening (to kneel on) lying around and I used that to cushion my knees.

That's what we have always done too. I have tried sitting on a stool while trying to bath the kids and it is very uncomfortable. Luckily, I never had to buy one of these, my DH got one as a freebie at work and my dad gave us a freebie one too with some pharmaceutical stuff on it.

MontrealMum
02-04-2009, 01:43 PM
I just use a Rubbermaid step stool that we already had. I can't kneel, so while this isn't the most comfortable position to be bathing baby in, it's better than nothing. DH just kneels on the bath mat. When DS was super tiny though we bathed him on the counter next to the kitchen sink in his little portable tub. Much easier on the back.

congrats on your pregnancy :)

MmeSunny
02-06-2009, 11:23 PM
My favorite for this is a Rocker Stool. It's made for gardening and has a seat similar to a riding lawn mower with a thick post leading to a bowl shaped bottom. The idea being that you can "rock" a couple of inches in any direction and still be comfortably seated.

I find myself using this stool all of the time around the house--cleaning out the fridge, playing with kids on the floor (sort of, I guess), at the train table, etc.

My father got one for his nature photography and is practically addicted to the thing--it's super comfy and easy on the knees.

I got mine at Tuesday morning a couple of years ago. He got his online.