PDA

View Full Version : How do I handle this sit w/ my BF -- possible lead toy??

Babywhite
01-23-2009, 05:13 PM
My DD is 4. My best friend's daughter is 5. Needless to say, our DDs are together all of the time. We are both very cautious about things -- while our husbands often think we take things to the extreme.

My friend's DH collects antiques. He was so excited to tell us that he had found his DD an 1968 (i think) Barbie clothing holder. I assume that it is metal and painted.-- ???

I have never allowed DD to play with any old toys b/c of possible lead issues.

I'm not sure how to handle this with my friend -- for my child or hers.

I'll get to see the item tomorrow, so here are my questions.

What should I look for....

Does it only matter if the paint is chipping?
Is it ok for them to play with it if the paint isn't chipping --- I mean, can some kind of residue get on their hands then on other toys, in their mouth, etc. even if it doesn't have chipped (chipping) paint?

I need some help here, so I have "my ducks in a row" b/f I discuss it with her --- since her DH bought it --- it's more touchy than if she had bought it.

TIA for your help!!
Babywhite

MamaMolly
01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Hmmm, when you said a Barbie clothing holder I pictured one of those vinyl covered/cardboard suitcase things.

Either way, I think lead is more of an issue when the DCs are of that age where they are always putting their hands in their mouths. If it were me I'd likely just have my DD wash her hands after playing with it or before eating.

HTH

gatorsmom
01-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Hmmm, when you said a Barbie clothing holder I pictured one of those vinyl covered/cardboard suitcase things.

HTH

That is exactly what I was thinking about- the pink one that had hanger poles on both sides with 2 compartments for Barbies in the middle. I loved mine! Did they have lead in them?

I would let DD play with it and emphasize handwashing. And not putting anything in her mouth. Once you see it, you could probably do a search and check to make sure it's safe/doesn't contain lead. I wouldn't worry about it.

brittone2
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I think it is hard to find info about vintage toys, even if you search.

Vinyl can have lead. If your DC isn't mouthing her hands, I'd just have her wash her hands when she's done, and definitely before eating (lead can be ingested that way). It isn't something she'd be exposed to everyday, so I'd just have her wash hands afterward and let it go. (eta: I'd have very different thoughts about my own DC playing w/ it every single day, or with a young child who may still mouth hands, put toys in her mouth etc)

egoldber
01-23-2009, 07:37 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking about- the pink one that had hanger poles on both sides with 2 compartments for Barbies in the middle. I loved mine! Did they have lead in them?

Oh gosh I had that too! I :love5: that thing!! LOL!

trentsmom
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh gosh I had that too! I :love5: that thing!! LOL!

I still have mine, stuffed full of Barbies and clothes!

stillplayswithbarbies
01-24-2009, 08:03 PM
I hope he has checked the value of it on eBay before letting the kids play with it. :)