PDA

View Full Version : lightweight stroller - can we discuss ALL options?

lmh2402
01-23-2009, 06:37 PM
there have been so many posts lately about lightweight strollers, my head is spinning

was wondering/hoping there already was...or could be created...a "comprehensive" list of lightweight options

we will be needing one in the next couple of months, so i'm doing my research now.

for me, i'm defining lightweight as no more than 15 pounds...ideally, less

primary use for this stroller for us will be going in and out of subway stations, so really want something portable, but sturdy enough to withstand NYC streets since we'll be using it when we run errands in the city

i've started gathering info on a few based on things i've been reading on here...at this point, trying to compare by recommended age for beginning use, price (just quick google searches to get a rough idea), weight and capacity:

Maclaren Volo $100 (only appropriate for 6+ months; unit 9lbs; hold up to 55lbs)

Maclaren Triumph $150 (only appropriate for 3+ months; unit 11.5lbs; hold up to 55lbs)

Maclaren Quest $200 (only appropriate for 3+ months; unit 12lbs; hold up to 55lbs)

UPPABaby G-Lite $130 (only appropriate for 6+ months; unit 8.3lbs; hold up to 40lbs)

UPPABaby G-Luxe $160 (only appropriate for 3+ months; unit 11lbs; hold up to 40lbs)

Silver Cross Pop $150 (only appropriate for 3+ months; unit 15.5lbs; hold up to ??lbs)

Silver Cross Dazzle $230 (appropriate from birth; unit 15.5lbs; hold up to ??bs)

Peg Perego Aria OH $200 (appropriate from ??; unit 10lbs; hold up to ??bs)

Peg Perego Si $280 (appropriate from ??; unit 12lbs [true?]; hold up to ??bs)

Inglesina Trip $170 (only appropriate for 6+ months; unit 14.5lbs; hold up to 45lbs)

Inglesina Swift $110 (only appropriate for 6+ months; unit 13.5lbs; hold up to 45lbs)

Rockstar Baby Candy $140 (only appropriate for 6+ months; unit 14lbs; holds up to ??lbs)

Esprit Speed Sun $100 (only appropriate for ??age; unit 14.5lbs; holds up to ??lbs)

Chicco C6 $70 (only appropriate for ??age; unit 11lbs; holds up to ??lbs)

Zooper Twist $170 (only appropriate for 6+ months; unit 14lbs; holds up to 55lbs)

so my questions are:

1. what other lightweight options are there? (again, no more than 15 lbs)

2. what are your thoughts on pros and cons of the above listed and/or other options you might suggest

3. i keep reading about macs being "tippy" what does this mean? this is our first child, so i'm totally clueless...

4. what are some other factors that absolutely should be considered when picking this type of stroller (recline?, do umbrella strollers come with bars or trays?...do you need/want them to?, under-seat basket size & access, etc)

i have to say...the PP and the macs...being on the lighter weight side...seem most appealing...

thanks for the feedback!

KBecks
01-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Mac volo - about $100, 6 months plus, I think. Very basic and great for toddlers. I like ours a lot.

I'll add that with our latest child born in the winter, we are not going out much, and now he's 3 months old! I really like our carseat adapter stroller (just the frame/wheels, ours is the Kolcraft, I think) for the first few months.

bubbaray
01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Esprit Speed Sun. Or Rockstar Baby Candy. They are lighter, have a decent (though not full) recline. Nice canopies.

I really like the Volo. But it totally depends on the age of the child.

jgenie
01-23-2009, 08:16 PM
:popc1: Thanks for starting this - so much easier than following numerous threads. :popc1:

jenny
01-23-2009, 08:37 PM
You can definitely find the Triumph cheaper than $200. Did you check ebay? I got my Mac Quest 2008 off of ebay for around $150.

How old is your kid? The main difference between the Triump and the Quest is the different recline options (the Quest has a steeper recline) and the foot rest option on the Quest. I think the padding on the seat on the Quest is nicer too.

My DD is 6 months and so the foot rest option on the Quest has been very convenient. If your DC is older and you don't need a deeper recline or the foot rest, then the Triumph might be a better option for you.

Some parents complain that the Mac is tippy, meaning if you put a heavy diaper bag on the handles when your child is not in the seat, it tends to tip over. I have not had that problem. I have a skip hop duo deluxe and whenever I put my diaper bag on the handles when DD is not in the seat, it hasn't tipped over...and I put 5 diapers, a wipes case, change of clothes, 2 cloth diapers, bibs and binkies and 2 bottles of milk in my bag. The only time it's almost tipped over is when I was holding DD in my arms b/c she'd fallen asleep and I was swinging the stroller from left to right to get it to recline. [an annoying feature on the maclaren is that you need two hands to recline the seat]

The 2008 Macs come with a carry strap attached so when it is folded, you can just put the strap on your shoulder and carry it that way if you need to.

codex57
01-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Of the ones you listed, they're all tippy. In my experience, also with a Skip Hop bag, my SIL's Mac falls over without much weight (IMO). Course, I'm used to a Zippy which could carry an elephant on one handle.

I consider recline important. DS will fall asleep in his if tired enough, but only if reclined.

The Mac carry strap is really handy in places like the airport. My fav is the Quest cuz of the extra recline and the better seat fabrics. If you go to the Triumph, the Inglesina Trip is a better deal IMO. I like the Swift better than the Mac Volo cuz the Volo is just too cheap in materials for me.

If the Silver Cross strollers weigh over 15 pounds, then you're getting too close in weight to full feature strollers like the Techno, or P3, or Zippy. For the "lightweight" strollers, my line is around the 14 lb or so.

lmh2402
01-23-2009, 09:59 PM
ok, so i added the volo and the rock star into the original list. didn't add the esprit one b/c when i looked it up, the weight was 17.5 lbs

no one has mentioned the PPs...any perspective on the aria? i know the Si is brand new, so difficult to have an opinion on. but how's the brand in general?

i like the idea of the carrying strap for the mac - would make subway steps easier...

as for all the options being tippy... is this a function of them being lighter weight? i would guess?... but since that's what i'm going for...i would be willing to just have to deal with not being able to hang lots of stuff...

but if you think some are "tippier" than others, please say so!

and of course, any additional suggestions of strollers to add to the 15lbs or less list?

(i agree the silver cross options might be trending toward weightier than i want)

thanks!

meme9300
01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Macs steer so fabulously due to their low center of gravity. As a consequence of this...they are a bit tippy.

Others to add..
Chicco C6
Uppababy G lite and G luxe

bubbaray
01-23-2009, 11:17 PM
the Esprit is lighter than the RSB by 1lb. I weighed mine the other night and it is 14.5lbs.

cndnveggie
01-24-2009, 01:18 AM
What about the Zooper Twist? They're releasing the 2009 model in March. I'm leaning towards it because it has a napper canopy - being in Southern California, I find that most umbrella strollers have inadequate canopies, so the Zooper Twist stands out for me. Also, it's got many of the other features...

lmh2402
01-24-2009, 09:47 AM
thanks for the additional suggestions - added them into the list

so, if you took price out of the equation - what would be your top 3 picks and why?

i'm looking for a stroller that can be used from as young an age (3 months...) as possible, to facilitate travel into the city on my own with the baby

(our day-to-day stroller is the vista...not lugging that on the subway)

so with solid construction (want it to last) and hopefully good to great features...or at least if there are weak features, they are easily overcome (like adding a ray shade or something)

do umbrella strollers have suspension? meaning, is the smoothness of their ride going to be different stroller to stroller? definitely planning to test drive, but honestly...on the linoleum of the stores...they all seem smooth enough

also, i saw someone mention having to shake the mac to get the back down b/c of sleeping child in arms... that is definitely kind of a pain... are any of these one handed reclines?

still looking for any feedback on the pegs, and what about the uppababy options?

and of course - any others to add to the list for consideration?

jgenie
01-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Macs steer so fabulously due to their low center of gravity. As a consequence of this...they are a bit tippy.

Are the Macs only tippy when empty or are they tippy w/ baby in them too?

amandabea
01-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I have the Inglesina Trip and overall I really like it. I got it for $125 shipped which made it a great deal - I think it's a 2006 or 07.

The only downside I can think of is that it is hard (almost impossible) to steer with one hand. Maybe most lightweight strollers are though. Oh, and the canopy isn't great. Otherwise it's a great stroller - easy fold, lightweight, good recline, decent basket, not tippy. Oh, and it's pink which was a major consideration!

jenny
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
The only downside I can think of is that it is hard (almost impossible) to steer with one hand. Maybe most lightweight strollers are though.

My Maclaren Quest is super easy to steer with one hand. DD at 6 months weighs almost 20 pounds and I've had no problem with one-handed steering.

I think the Inglesina has a one-hand recline lever...not sure though.

Serendipitee
01-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I am about to purchase a Quest myself, I think. (a cheap 2007 model). My biggest hesitation is the small cargo storage, that combined with the tippy handles... is using this stroller for shopping trips a pain?

It seems everyone loves their Maclarens and its hard to argue with that...

meme9300
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
The macs are NOT tippy with the kid in them! Yikes that would be scary....

jgenie
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
The macs are NOT tippy with the kid in them! Yikes that would be scary....

I didn't think they would be so popular if they were but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

jetrlw
01-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a MAc Volo as my umbrella stroller and it is super lightweight. I bought it to get around on NYC subways. Have not had a chance to try it out as of yet, but am looking forward to it. Great one handed 9 or rather 1 finger) steering! My DD is 18 months and 25lbs. The canopy could be larger but that is easily fixed with purchsing a new one. The basket is small but holds enough when shopping, a few small bags. I am a backpack diaper bag wearer so I don't have to worry about tipping with a diaper bag on the handles. Although, I do have a Sunshine Kids drink holder attached to the handles to have easy access to her bottle/sippy cup and small toys as well as my wallet and cell phone.

lmh2402
01-24-2009, 06:29 PM
ok, trying to narrow this down - can anyone tell me what they think the pros/cons are when specifically comparing:

Mac Quest

Peg Perego Aria

(Peg Perego Si if you know anything about this, since it's not out yet)

Inglesina Swift

Zooper Twist

thanks!

Allisonsmommy
02-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I have the PP aria. Got it about 2 weeks ago. I LOVE IT. It is SO light and easy to fold and unfold. My daughter is really comfortable in it and i love that the harness is a freedom harness. It allows them to not be totally stuck to the back of the seat. I also have a mac triumph and hate it. I just don't like umbrella strollers. my daughter likes to sit straight up and the umbrella strollers kind of keep you at a small tilt backwards. Also, I like having the snack tray and cup holders for her. The new aria's have improved from the previous models. The parent cup holder is a lot more sturdy and the overall ride is way smoother. A friend has the 2007 model and the comparison is really noticeable.

salsah
02-22-2009, 12:51 AM
i actually prefer the older aria to the newer. i loved my old one so much that when the "oh" model w/ the larger canopy came out, i just had to upgrade. while i love the one hand fold and the canopy on the newer models, there is a noticeable difference in the quality. even dh noticed the difference comparing the new one out of the box to the old one that had been used heavily for several years w/ two dc. i still think that is a great lightweight stroller but the quality isn't as good as it used to be (unless the 2008 or 2009 has improved).

strollerqueen
02-22-2009, 01:24 AM
thanks for the additional suggestions - added them into the list

so, if you took price out of the equation - what would be your top 3 picks and why?

i'm looking for a stroller that can be used from as young an age (3 months...) as possible, to facilitate travel into the city on my own with the baby

(our day-to-day stroller is the vista...not lugging that on the subway)

so with solid construction (want it to last) and hopefully good to great features...or at least if there are weak features, they are easily overcome (like adding a ray shade or something)

do umbrella strollers have suspension? meaning, is the smoothness of their ride going to be different stroller to stroller? definitely planning to test drive, but honestly...on the linoleum of the stores...they all seem smooth enough

also, i saw someone mention having to shake the mac to get the back down b/c of sleeping child in arms... that is definitely kind of a pain... are any of these one handed reclines?

still looking for any feedback on the pegs, and what about the uppababy options?

and of course - any others to add to the list for consideration?

Honestly, I don't feel ANY lightweight umbrella stroller is supportive enough for a 3-month-old baby. That's still pretty young. For that age, I would still prefer a P3, Zippy, or maybe a Techno. At least the Techno has bigger wheels with suspension, a bigger canopy, and a flat recline. In Europe, none of these strollers would be recommended for younger than 6 months. I would agree with that. This is what I mean. From the Maclaren site, re: the Quest:

"Appropriate From US/UK: 3 months EU: 6 months"

lmh2402
02-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Honestly, I don't feel ANY lightweight umbrella stroller is supportive enough for a 3-month-old baby. That's still pretty young. For that age, I would still prefer a P3, Zippy, or maybe a Techno. At least the Techno has bigger wheels with suspension, a bigger canopy, and a flat recline. In Europe, none of these strollers would be recommended for younger than 6 months. I would agree with that. This is what I mean. From the Maclaren site, re: the Quest:

"Appropriate From US/UK: 3 months EU: 6 months"

ok, so if i agree with this and shift to say looking for the best lightweight option for 6+ months... what are your thoughts on the above list? i have a larger stroller - don't need/want a p3, zippy or techno...i really want something light for easy use on public transportation

strollerqueen
02-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I really like Maclaren Quests. I have had one incarnation or another in my car for years. It is very pretty small and light, has excellent steering, has a legrest and enough recline for naps. The next model down, the Triumph, is only a couple of pounds lighter, has no legrest, and not enough recline for a young baby.

strollerqueen
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
P.S. I have an Aria, too, which I like. But I think the Quest would be easier to handle on the subway. I am also very excited about the Si'. I liked the ones I saw very much. Great steering, flat recline. They just aren't out yet.

cmdnewton
02-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Don't have time for a long post, but wanted to add the Mia Moda Cielo to the list.

AnnieW625
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
I regret not buying the Quest or the Techno XT for DD when I bought her Triumph when she was 3 mos old. She was never much of a napper in the thing, but I do wish it would've had a better recline. At almost 3 she does sleep in it now and doesn't complain much, but again would've rather spent the $100 exta bucks and got either the Quest or the Techno.

staceannd
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Does anyone have the Zooper Twist? I've been doing the same comparisons and just can't decide!!! I'd like to spend less than $200 but don't have the patience for Ebay.

Any other sites?

What is up with Strollers.com? I just noticed that some of their original prices didn't seem right. For instance the Uppa Baby Gluxe is $159 regulary (I believe) and their site had it for over $200!

nawoodard
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Definitely go for the Mac. The one handed steer is amazing, very necessary for NYC. Of the ones you mentioned the Quest is best for a young baby, but I would check out the Techno. It has larger wheels which would definitely be better on the sidewalks and it reclines more for an infant. It is only 3 pounds heavier than the Quest and is soooo full featured. I love mine and have no problem lugging it around. But if you don't get that, then the Quest for sure, IMO.

staceannd
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Did you end up buying a new stroller?

MichelleM
03-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I thought I had decided on the Maclaren Quest (just not the year) but now I saw the Joovy Kooper. Which would be better??? My son is 5 months and it will used to fly.

nonamestill
04-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I would also like to know more about the Joovy Kooper. I'm choosing between this and the Quinny Zapp. My misgiving with the Zapp is that it has no recline. Is the Kooper a good choice for indoor use (malls, grocery and the like) and for airplane travel? Thanks!

nonamestill
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
bumping, just in case...

conniez
06-26-2009, 08:53 PM
bumping

Would love to hear thoughts on some of the new strollers that came out since the last post on this thread was back in April! :)

WatchingThemGrow
06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
new strollers come out after the ABC show in September, as far as i can tell.