PDA

View Full Version : BJC owners - what combo of strollers do you use or is this your only stroller?

01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
The BJCM seems pretty great - easy to fold, steers w/ one hand, fairly lightweight, good canopy, seems good both indoor and outdoor. But I'm wondering, could this be my only stroller or will I need something else (we're doing a Snap n' Go for <3months)? Am I missing something? Are there drawbacks? Advantages to the BJCE?

Or should we go a completely different route and do a more rugged stroller for walking/outdoor (like a Vista) and a lightweight for mall stuff (like a Mac)?

Thanks-- this is our first and strollers are confusing to me!

maydaymommy
01-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I had a BJCM as my quickie stroller. It was impressive. However, ds was never comfortable in it. He is small, but particularly long-torsoed and has shorter legs. He just slid too far down in the seat.

I gave the BJCM to a friend with a humongo DS and they love it.

I also have a BJCE and he is much more comfortable in that because of the leg rest.

WatchingThemGrow
01-24-2009, 11:33 PM
We have a BJCED as our only double, but we've found our Triumph useful for some situations where our Bugaboo was just too much. We definitely use the air tired strollers way more than the Mac, but we've really needed it several times.

edurnemk
01-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't consider the Vista a very rugged stroller. The Vista is more rugged than the BJCM, but the BJCE is definetely more rugged than the Vista. I think our Vista is a good hybrid between an all-terrain and an "everyday" full size stroller. It's great in the snow, grass and bumpy sidewalks, but I'm sure the BJCE performs even better in these terrains (air tires, lots of suspension).

pastrygirl
01-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I'd say that it depends what your walks outside look like. Where I live, I need air tires. There are no sidewalks in most areas, and even the paved trails are very bumpy and gravel-y. I wouldn't use my BJCM outside around here.

However, it's great as a mall and errand stroller! I haven't used it too much because I also have a G-Lite that's even smaller and lighter. But I do hope to use it more for a future baby, when he/she is too young for the G-Lite. It's great for car travel because it folds flat and we can stack stuff on top of it. It definitely gets in the way much less than other strollers.

I will always need a stroller with air tires, though. Even the Vista wouldn't work well outdoors around here.

I've never owned a snap-n-go because my stroller had a car seat adapter. You can get one for the BJCM, to save you from getting a snap-n-go. That way you have the option to put the baby directly in the stroller, too, since long-term car seat use in a stroller isn't too good for the baby. Flat is best! (I didn't do that last time around because I didn't know any better. But next time, I'm getting a bassinet for my stroller.)

Melbel
01-25-2009, 09:22 AM
We have a BJCM as our main stroller, a BJ Q series for jogging and a Mac Volo from DD1 that we will use for travel or quick trips when recline is not so important. If my DH was not into running, we could make due with just the BJCM b/c we have paved roads and sidewalks in the neighborhood. At 16 pounds, I have no problem with the weight due in part to the very easy fold, and I have a terrible back. I can fold the stroller 1 handed and load into our SUV while holding the baby which is more than I can say for any other stroller I have owned/tried. I would definitely start with 1 stroller and then fill in with something else only if necessary. You will be able to better gage what you need/want after using it for a while.

edurnemk
01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
But I'm wondering, could this be my only stroller or will I need something else (we're doing a Snap n' Go for <3months)? !

I think the snap n' go is an option if you haven't chosen a stroller yet, but if you have, I think it's a waste of money. Just get the car seat adaptor for the stroller you pick. You'll only use the SNG for a few months and not that much. Although it's practical to be able to transport a sleeping baby from car to house / store / etc. using the infant car seat, I always transfered my DS to the stroller when awake, it's better for them. So if you get a good stroller you can snap your car seat unto it when necessary, without having to acquire one more piece of baby gear.

I have the Vista, which could very well be our only stroller. We also have an umbrella for airplane travel, which I've used only for one trip that I made alone with DS (it's been stored in the back of the hallway closet since then)

bw52
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Please help me understand what BJC, BJCM, and BJCE stand for. Sorry, I'm a new first time mom-to-be and have just started looking at strollers. I'm trying to find out what's good, but I don't understand what these abbreviations mean. Is there a list somewhere that says?

Thanks!

edurnemk
01-25-2009, 10:33 PM
BJC = Baby Jogger City Series
BJCM = BAby Jogger City Mini (the lightweight more compact member of the City Series, good for malls and smooth sidewalks)
BJCE = Baby Jogger City Elite (this and the Classic are the all-terrains of the family)

Baby Joggers have a great folding mechanism: one handed, one step. Also a very good canopy, suspension and air tires (only the Elite and Classic)

vonfirmath
01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
We had a BJCM as our only stroller for quite a while -- inside, outside walks. Everything. Even over grass, sand, etc. But when it came time for an airplane ride, I didn't want to risk the $200 stroller at the check-in line so I bought a $10 Chicco C6-like stroller at a baby mega-sale type event and I used that on the airplane.

I discovered that my baby liked how upright it was better so the BJCM has become our around the house/walking stroller and the C6 is our mall stroller.

nellonello
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
So we did the same thing you are talking about and couldn't be happier. We used our SNG until about 4 months and now use our BJCM for everything. We aren't planning on getting another stroller (unless of course we need a double then we'll get the BJCMD). HTH