PDA

View Full Version : Family Auctioning EVERYTHING on Ebay

jenny
01-24-2009, 09:07 PM
This family, who has a son with autism and a daughter with STILLs disease, is auctioning off everything they own on Ebay for $20,000 to make sure their son gets daily therapy.

It just breaks my heart!

http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=125999

Here's their website: http://everythingweown.org/

MamaMolly
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
I dunno, this just seems weird to me. I'm from Ga and while we are odd in many ways ;) children there DO get free education/therapy/early intervention/etc by law. I'm not doubting their issues, just scratching my head at the way they are choosing to handle it.

Twin Mom
01-25-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm also from GA and although I do think this is strange, I totally understand how medical costs can bankrupt a family and make them desperate enough to do this. EI through the state (Babies Can't Wait is the name of the program) is only offered until age 3 and is not free for everyone. The cost is based on a sliding scale depending on your income.

mytwosons
01-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm not familiar with GA offerings, but as a mom to a child with an ASD, I'd be shocked if the state offers nearly as much therapy as what is recommended. Plus, at least in states that don't have insurance parity, health insurance doesn't cover therapy related to autism. In our case, my son could get 1 hr of group OT and 1 hr of group ST per week. He also qualified for the ECDD classroom, but the actual services provided in the room were the 1 hr of ST and OT. Many experts recommend at least 20 hrs per week of therapy. Around here, the local children's hospital charges $240/hr and private centers/providers charge $120/hr. Many families take advantage of programs that train the parents to work with the kids as most people can't afford 20 hrs per week of therapy.

So far, I think we have spent about $60k out of pocket in just over two years. I'm afraid the families $20k won't go very far.

KBecks
01-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I looked at it and agree, the message $20k, but that money will run out.... it looks like a message crafted to get donations, more than actually sell anything. And, who would really take their stuff, knowing the circumstances. I wish them the best.

Melaine
01-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't get it either. As much as therapy will help their DC, are they going to sleep on the floor? I agree with pp, maybe they are hoping for flat out donations....

Sugar Magnolia
01-25-2009, 11:05 AM
I am a former GA resident and ds1 received therapies from CHOA at a very large discount.
They are a non-profit and will help anyone that needs it. Or at least that was what I was told.

randomkid
01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't get it either. As much as therapy will help their DC, are they going to sleep on the floor? I agree with pp, maybe they are hoping for flat out donations....

:yeahthat: I was also wondering about the bedroom furniture and the washing machine as well. Where are they going to keep all their clothes? I guess a mattress on the floor is sufficient for sleeping, but you NEED to wash your clothes. With all those issues with their kids, I can't see going to the laundromat. It just wouldn't be practical.

I'm guessing the $20K is to cover bills that they owe, but as PPs have said, that doesn't provide anything for future use. If it is a way to get donations, it will probably be effective. However, if someone buys all their "stuff" on eBay and wants it, they will have to sell it. That's a big risk if they really don't intend on selling everything. Hope something works out for this family.

AngelaS
01-25-2009, 12:36 PM
And um, wouldn't they get more money selling things individually?? Seems odd to me.