PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your large baby gear items if you're not done having kids?

Tammy
01-24-2009, 10:32 PM
We need to store away the swing, bouncy seat, exersaucer... things like that. Our attic has mice (of course) and I'm assuming we'll get them in our building/garage outside too. So how do you store things safely and keep dirt off them and the mice away?

LarsMal
01-24-2009, 10:41 PM
I bought the large plastic bins and put things like covers and pads in them (the cloth cover for the swing, exersaucer, car seat cover, etc). If I could fit the item in the bin (I think the bouncy seat fit) I put the whole thing in.

I know mice and critters can get into bags, but I still put stuff into those heavy duty black trash bags. If I had to cut the bag I used duct tape at the seams to hold it together- and then labeled the duct tape with a Sharpee. I figured even if something did get into the bag, I could wipe down the plastic or wood with Clorox wipes to disinfect it. Then I just prayed that nothing got in!!!

Right now all of my baby gear is in a POD, and not all of it is covered or in a bin so I am really hoping it's all safe in there!

maestramommy
01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
When we were living in an apt, we kept those items in the storage space in our garage. It was just a large "shed" like hold behind plywood doors. The items were covered in large plastic bags.

Now we keep these items in the basement, but covered the same way. We don't have mice down there, only crickets:) And only in the summer. We do have a nice sized cedar closet so if there's anything we really worry about, we keep it in there.

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Vacuum sealed storage bags? I don't know if they make them that big. I was able to fit a lot of them in one gigantic Rubbermaid container.

Beth

avd3875
01-24-2009, 11:24 PM
We bought something like this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/322036/Office-Depot-Brand-Blown-Stretch-Wrap/ and wrapped it around all the big stuff - car seats, crib, high chair, crib mattress, etc. Then we put everything in the garage. We'll find out in a few weeks how it held up, but from a visual inspection it seems fine.

newbiemom
01-24-2009, 11:44 PM
We were lucky in that we were able to lend our big stuff swing, baby carseat, etc to some friends, and just as they finished, we needed the stuff back!

Melaine
01-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I will put one of the cribs in the attic, but, to be honest, I've sold pretty much every other large item we had. We just don't have the room for storage and I'd rather find stuff on sale, then sell it, then buy it on sale again. With the bargains to be had, I don't really lose money this way!

That's assuming we do indeed have another baby one day....I hope!

WatchingThemGrow
01-24-2009, 11:48 PM
We were lucky in that we were able to lend our big stuff swing, baby carseat, etc to some friends, and just as they finished, we needed the stuff back!
:yeahthat:
Our friends think we're really generous. They don't realize we're just letting them store our stuff for us!

katydid1971
01-25-2009, 12:01 AM
this didn't work for us. SIL wasn't great about returning stuff :32:

s7714
01-25-2009, 01:02 AM
We disassembled our crib put it under a bed. The baby swing was kept in a extra closet between DDs 1 and 2, but I got rid of it after DD2 because the motor was almost shot after so much usage. The high chair, jumperoo and baby gates are out in the garage, along with a few boxes of baby toys. Things like our bouncy seat and bassinet were disassembled and put back into their boxes for storage. Our two pack-n-plays are kept in our coat closet because at least one frequently comes out for my niece to sleep in, otherwise they'd probably be in the garage too.

lmwbasye
01-25-2009, 08:43 AM
So far, we've been storing our items in the attic or garage. We have loaned it out in the past, but my SIL also returned them. :(

KrisM
01-25-2009, 08:53 AM
If you can't store it, sell it at a mom2mom or consignment sale and just buy another for the next baby. I did that on a couple of harder to store items and the net cost to me was zero.

sste
01-25-2009, 05:07 PM
We have a gross smelling basement so I have been using sweater bag with cedar ball and then putting that inside a space saver bag (thing that looks like a giant ziploc and you vacuum shut, I have read mixed reviews but they have worked OK for me, I am careful not to overstuff) THEN I put the entire thing in a plastic tote. For larger items, I get the extra-large or jumbo space saver bags and use the cedar balls.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dh's system for long term storage works great. We wrap EVERYTHING baby that we're storing in saran wrap. He learned this trick when he was working in the salmon canneries in alaska. The workers move up the river to differant canneries to keep up with the fish, when they change factories the equipment is cleaned and wrapped in saran wrap to keep it clean until the next time it's needed. Works wonders.

You can even buy the cheap store brand stuff and it'll work just as well. I used about 2 rolls when I wrapped the bassinet last time but I'm picky. Keeps off all the dirt,dust and everything in our almost 90 year old unfinished basement.

Not sure if the mice would want to eat through it. Good luck.