PDA

View Full Version : Amoxicillin side effect?

sidmand
01-25-2009, 09:47 AM
DD just started a course of antibiotics (amoxicillin and Floxin) for a double ear infection. The past two days she has had the nastiest, smelliest (sorry for TMI!) blowouts she's ever had. I seem to recall something about it's very possible for the medicine to cause this. But when I searched online it told me dire things about diarrhea and medicine and then I started to worry more!

Is this pretty normal or something she needs to stop (and I will call the doctor, but she seemed A-OK in general, so I didn't want to panic if not necessary!).

egoldber
01-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Oh, very normal. Abx can play havoc with the digestive tract.

GoBlue
01-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Antibiotics certainly CAN give kids diarrhea, but if it's really the nastiest, most foul smelling stuff you've seen (and this is your second kid), I'd get her seen by her pediatrician. She could have C. difficile colitis, which means that the ABx killed off the good bacteria in her gut and let C. diff take over. C. diff needs to be treated with, yes, another antibiotic, usually Flagyl (also called metronidazole).

Good luck......

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Very normal. Lots of yogurt, probiotics an fluids!

Beth

brittone2
01-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Yep, can totally happen. Definitely get some probiotics into her if you can (Udo and Jarrow are two good brands). Sorry you are going through this.

alien_host
01-25-2009, 01:00 PM
We had the same issue for DD who was on two antibiotics. Our ped recommended Culturelle for Kids probiotic www.culturelle.com/your_health/for_parents

I was told by the ped that the probiotics in yogurt isn't concentrated enough to help with the diarrhea (i.e. they can't consume enough yogurt to make a difference) but your ped may feel differently. They have a kids version that comes in a capsule that you can open and put in juice/water/sprinkle on applesauce or yogurt.

I was told by the ped to not give the probiotic with the antibiotic (so I gave it at lunch since she took the antibiotic in the AM and before bed).

I'd ask your ped or nurse if it is OK for your DD. It helped my DD a little, she still had very nasty poops, and it didn't cure the diarrhea completely but by the end of the course it was slightly better and not as nasty.

Good luck and I hope your little one feels better soon.

AngelaS
01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Just an FYI--the one and only time my dd had Amoxicillan, she had diarrhea. Then she got red cheekds, a fever and vomiting as well. We stopped the meds and then she broke out in "an impressive case" (her ped's words) of hives. She was allergic and reacted the first time she ever had it.

So, yes, diarrhea can be perfectly normal w/antibiotics but if she starts having a bunch of other symptoms, make note. :)

sidmand
01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone.

I don't see any other side effects (thank you for the warning though!) and I had a feeling it was pretty normal. I'll just make sure to keep her in dark clothes for the time being: :)

carolinamama
01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
DS1 always had nasty blowouts when he was on antibiotics. Push yogurt and probiotics like others have said. I just wanted to add that he oftentimes got a bad yeasty diaper rash from these as well a few days into the course of antibiotics. It always cleared up quickly with Lotrimin AF and Desitin. You may want to smear lots of thick diaper cream (think Desitin or Triple Paste) now to help avoid this REALLY painful side effect.

Hope your DD is feeling better.

crayonblue
01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Antibiotics certainly CAN give kids diarrhea, but if it's really the nastiest, most foul smelling stuff you've seen (and this is your second kid), I'd get her seen by her pediatrician. She could have C. difficile colitis, which means that the ABx killed off the good bacteria in her gut and let C. diff take over. C. diff needs to be treated with, yes, another antibiotic, usually Flagyl (also called metronidazole).

Good luck......

If the diarrhea continues, yes, take her to ped and they will check for C-diff. If by some rare chance it is C-diff, pm me as I have lots of experience with this vile condition!