PDA

View Full Version : what to feed 11 month old with diarrhea

TraciG
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM
he started with throwing up the other night, threw up his whole bottle all over me, then threw up 2 more time's, next day the diarrhea started, no fever now , he had it at the beginning of the virus. Thought he was getting better but still has STINKY loose poop/ diarrhea ( you can not believe the smell !!! ) yesterday he was so tired & wanted to held all day, today he's playing but still tired aftera pretty good night of sleep.

I feel like he shouldn't be having formula, but he does want it, much less then usual though, not eating food, no dinner last night just 4 oz of formula.

Going backwards, the day after he threw up he had Pedialyte mixed with white grape juice, called the doc then but haven't called again so not sure what to offer, I tried some banana, he ate 3 tiny piece's. He just had a bottle so I am expecting the diarrhea soon !

JTsMom
01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Here's some good info:
http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t081500.asp

Hope he feels better soon.

egoldber
01-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Is he still vomiting? If so, only small amounts of formula, but offered frequently.

If no vomiting, what is often recommended is the "BRATY" diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and yogurt. My ped says that really they can maintain a normal diet, just make it bland and avoid highly acidic foods and juices.

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
My ped says that really they can maintain a normal diet, just make it bland and avoid highly acidic foods and juices.

That's how I handle upset stomachs. If they want to eat something more unusual than the light fare of the bRAT diet I let them. Just don't go with anything too messy like pasta and sauce because if it comes back up it will be a pain to clean.

I nursed a lot more when ds had his stomach bug in Dec..

Beth

TraciG
01-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Had no idea it was ok to give yogurt !