PDA

View Full Version : Memory Foam Mattress Topper

scoop22
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
any suggestions?
good or bad idea?

we have a mattress that we are just not happy with right now. we thought maybe this topper might work for us. there are so many types.
the thickness? places to buy? we have a queen bed.

also. what type of sheets would we use?
thanks for your help.

egoldber
01-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I bought one at Costco for our guest bed. The bed was old and had crappy mattresses to begin with. I didn't want to replace the bed so I thought I would try the topper. It works very well and guests now claim the bed is very comfy. :)

I don't have any issue with sheets, but the original mattress was not super tall or pillowtop or anything fancy like that. If it was thicker, then adding the foam topper adds about 5" to the mattress height so you may need deeper sheets.

Beckylove
01-25-2009, 01:33 PM
We bought a mattress set this summer and were very disappointed because it is a lot harder than it was in the store. So we bought the 3'' memory foam topper. And have now returned it. I thought it felt like sleeping in mud because you sank down deep into it. I found it very awkward to change positions because if you move, your old impression is still there. Then we got a fiber-bed topper. We were unhappy with this because after a few nights, all the filling moved to the edges and it felt lumpy.

We are now considering a partial gel-top thing because we think it will feel less lumpy then the fiber-bed. We are also considering a less thick memory-foam so maybe we won't sink as far and it will be easier to move around on it.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative. Those were our experiences and we are pretty picky. Just a few things to consider as you shop.

Also-- we bought both toppers at JC Penney (when they were having a big sale) and if you keep your receipt, they are willing to take them back. So I definitely recommend getting it from some where that you can return it if you are unhappy.

caleymama
01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to mention that if you are sensitive to smells, you might not like it. I am admittedly very scent sensitive and didn't even think about this issue. I bought one a couple of years ago and had to take it off within 36 hours. I couldn't deal with the off-gassing. Gave it to my sister & her fiance and they were fine with it. I saw a fancier one at BJs a few weeks ago that is encased in several layers of fabric (thought that might be better) and I could detect the same smell just by putting my nose to the little area visible through the box.

new_mommy25
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
We have the 3" topper from Costco and love it!! It dramatically changed my bed and it is so much more comfortable now. I do agree that the off gassing is noticable. I had to let ours lay out for several days and sometimes I swear I can still smell it.

eta: We just use our regular sheets with it. They are fairly deep and just manage to cover it all. I would definitely buy a deep pocket flat.