PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa hotels?

SASM
01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi ladies,

I am probably going to wear out my welcome in your forum...soooo sorry!!! I am going through info-overload right now. I have been trying to book a hotel and it hasn't been an easy task. :( I am slightly familiar with the city but have never been to Winterlude ~ not famliar with the layout despite TRYING to look at the website maps (laptop hasn't been cooperating)...UGH!!! We are going with our 3 kids (6, 3, and 1) so I'd LOVE a hotel that is within walking distance to Byward Market & the major Winterlude attractions that would interest my kids (skating, sculptures, and possibly ice fishing). I think CLOSE walking distance would be best as I am certain that parking will be quite challenging, and my kids will be cranky despite being suited up for sub-zero temps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Suites or spacious rooms would be great. We have looked at Minto but are uncertain if that is too far from Byward and Winterlude.

Thank you so much (AGAIN!!).

Signed ~ CLUELESS Sharyn

Capitalchick
01-27-2009, 04:43 PM
How about "Les Suites" in downtown Ottawa? It's literally a minute walk away from the market. Don't think you can get much closer than this!

I live in Ottawa so I've never stayed at one of the hotels...So i can't comment on what it's like. But I recommend checking out tripadvisor.com and reading reviews of hotels there.

NewfieNat
01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
We went to Winterlude in 2000, I think. We stayed at the Albert Inn and really liked it. It was a short walk to most winterlude activites. However, we didn't have kids then and iirc the rooms are on the small side and probably wouldn't work with kids.

In 2002 during the tulip festival we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott by the Byward Market. It was a great place to stay except for something to do with parking (the location? the price? I don't remember) and I can see it being a good choice for families.

mom2binsd
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd try either the Les Suites, it's right in the Market (on the edge) or the hotel that's a part of the Congress Center/Mall complex, can't recall the name, it's changed since I was home last. Yes, parking during Winterlude is a royal pain, so walking from your hotel would be the best! You'll be surprised how well your kids do in the cold, my two who are 2 and 5 spent 5 hours on a pond on MLK day here, it was only 12 Farenheit, DH had to pull them off the rink!

Not sure if you checked into the Chateau Laurier, it's like a castle and very historic, right near everything, but not sure about the room sizes etc. It's part of the Fairmont chain of hotels.

The ice scuptures are usually at Dow's Lake, at the far end of the canal, some folks like to make a separate trip there if they don't think they can skate the whole length, parking is nearby and there's a few restaurants there, but be prepared for huge waits everywhere.

Have fun, my brother took his kids down yesterday for a skate, I sure do miss it, I used to love to go for night skates with my boyfriend when the canal was deserted...ah the days!!!!!!!!!

MamaBear
02-02-2009, 01:55 PM
The Minto is nice (although it has been more than a decade since I stayed there), but it is on the far-ish end of downtown Ottawa and downtown is a bit of a ghost-town in the evening. I personally really like ARC, which is also downtown but close to the canal area and a reasonable walk to the market, etc. Love their restaurant, too! The rooms are a bit small, but we were ok when we stayed there last winter (two adults and a toddler).

There's a chain hotel (Hilton? Westin? Can't remember) attached to the Rideau Centre (shopping centre) which would be very convenient, as would the Chateau Laurier (which would also be an experience). I've never stayed at either (since I've found ARC, that's the only hotel I've stayed in). The Lord Elgin is also very central. I've stayed there once, and they were going through renos at the time so I was put off by that, but it does have a good reputation and the location is excellent.

SASM
02-26-2009, 02:19 PM
OMG...I missed these responses!! :( I kept checking and didn't see anything so I boolked elsewhere...wish I'd seen these. THANK YOU!!