PDA

View Full Version : What does the one year well visit entail?

tmonroe
01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
The receptionist at the doctors office mentioned the one year old well visit is a biggie. What exactly does it entail that's different from the usual examination? TIA.

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
There was nothing different at mine. With ds1 there was a blood test (iron levels and possibly lead) but this practice doesn't do routine tests. We discussed possible risk factors that might indicate a need for the lead test but we didn't meet the criteria (plus ds1 grew up here and passed his test). They might take more time to discuss issues like food, carseat safety, and general growth (physical, emotional and cognitive) development.

Beth

tmonroe
01-25-2009, 04:13 PM
There was nothing different at mine. With ds1 there was a blood test (iron levels and possibly lead) but this practice doesn't do routine tests. We discussed possible risk factors that might indicate a need for the lead test but we didn't meet the criteria (plus ds1 grew up here and passed his test). They might take more time to discuss issues like food, carseat safety, and general growth (physical, emotional and cognitive) development.

Beth

Thanks Beth!

mommyp
01-25-2009, 06:39 PM
It also depends if you do your vaccinations at the well visits. We typically do, so our 1 year appt also included the MMR vaccine. We decided to wait on chicken pox and a couple others that she already has had some in the series of until the 15 month visit. The difference at our ped is that the shots are no longer in the legs, they did it in her arm while I was holding her in my lap. So that was different, but other than that, yeah it was a regular well visit. We discussed eating more in depth and were given the all clear to introduce anything we hadn't already (nuts etc.). She was perfectly fine a couple minutes after the shot, and just a little drowsy that afternoon.