PDA

View Full Version : Best Kid's Sunblock? What is your favorite?

Happy Mommy
01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi all,

I just read a post on rashguards and it got me thinking...in our below freezing weather :)...what is your favorite sunblock?

Last year I used a spray on Banana Boat, California Babies stick, and Coppertone Lotion. While they worked well enough for my kids to never get a burn, my kids still looked tan by summer's end. And we know that a tan=sun damage.

I've read some good things about Blue Lizard online, but have never spoken to anyone directly about their use of it.

I would prefer to use the most natural sunblock that I can in order to avoid massive amounts of chemicals to be spread all over my kids' bodies (although you couldn't tell it from my choices last summer :)). And of course, I'm looking for something that is not ridiculously overpriced.

So...any thoughts???

BabyMine
01-25-2009, 04:55 PM
When my children are young I used/use California Baby.
When I went scuba diving I used bull frog spray and never had a problem.
Now I am looking into products that have helioplex or mexoryl in them. From what I have been reading about them they are supposed to be more effective than other chemicals in sunscreen.

sste
01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Trukids is my favorite. Sometimes I use a less expensive one for body and use that for his face and hands. For extreme sun conditions I like the Badger Balm - - the downside is that its very thick and gets all over his clothes and his hard to get out, so I save that for strong sun.

carolinamama
01-25-2009, 05:09 PM
We use the Blue Lizard for babies on DS1. DS2 will use it too this summer when he needs it. DS1 has terribly sensitive skin and it doesn't cause him to get rashes like the more main-stream sunscreens. You do have to reapply very frequently since it is only a barrier one, not chemical. We use rashguards and the Blue Lizard and DS doesn't seem to get too much sun.

Tondi G
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
We used UV Naturals last year after all our area stores were out of California Baby. It feels a little greasy but it really does work... we spent time at the beach and water park.... long days and no one got a sun burn! I like the CA Baby too but it gave my kids a white cast ... looked kinda pasty and ghostly.... it is think. My kids seemed to prefer the UV Natural to the CA Baby so we stuck with it!

UH OH! I just found this page... better buy my sunscreen for the summer now!

http://www.uvnaturalusa.com/

this is what it looks like

http://www.uvnaturalsunscreenstore.com/displayProducts.asp?criteria=19038

jenny
01-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I just ordered Dr. T's supergoop from www.greenbabybargains.com (a deal a day site). It's an organic sunblock. I've never tried it, but I read good reviews. We'll see!

MommytoEliana
01-25-2009, 06:43 PM
I've been happiest with the Blue Lizard unscented stuff I got last summer. The Blue Lizard Sport was okay but had one of the ingredients that was on the not-as-good list, so I preferred to use that for just myself. The CA Baby unscented is fine but it definitely does a whitish cast and you have to use a lot (at least I did). So I'll be looking for Blue Lizard again this summer. All of them seemed to work well. My DD and I turn a little brown no matter how intensively I apply sunscreen, but DS stayed nice and ghostly. ;-)

MontrealMum
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Last summer I did a bit of a trial of various sunscreens based on the EWG databases list of effectiveness AND safer ingredients. My favorites were CA Baby for DS and Blue Lizard Baby for myself. Neither of us got a tan at all, and neither of us broke out in a rash - we both have extremely sensitive skin. On me I also tried Vanicream which was OK, and Solbar which made me break out. Previously I've used Vichy Kids, La Roche-Posay, ROC and Avene [these have various types of Mexoryl or other proprietary filters, though I believe Mexoryl is the trade name for ROC]. The first three don't score too well in the database and sometimes made me break out, but I had used them for years since they were better than brands like Coppertone etc.. Avene is "safer" but is almost impossible to rub in - and that's compared to Blue Lizard.

brittone2
01-25-2009, 09:59 PM
We use CA Baby or UV Naturals. UV Naturals is a little greasy feeling as the PP said, and it contains macademia nut oil which obviously would be an issue for those w/ nut allergies in their family. CA Baby is very white and thick, but is less greasy.

EWG has good info on their site about ingredients.

hillview
01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
California Baby.
/hillary

DrSally
01-26-2009, 10:56 AM
I had that same problem. Last summer I used sunscreen religiously on both me and DS and we both were really, really brown by the end of the summer. I used a lotion on his face and spray on his body. Maybe I should switch to a physical sunblock all over for him.

neeleymartin
01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
california baby and/or blue lizard sensitive. both worked well, as i recall they needed (recommended) reapplication after 45 minutes or so. both are very thick, gooey and left a bluish tint to our already purple toned skin, lol. imagine applying elmer's white glue, it's very similar in consistency.

AnnieW625
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
In an effort to be more in tune with safer sunscreens and having a toddler I bought some Blue Lizard Sensitive (identical to Baby) for my DD and it's okay. I have sensitive skin and it made my skin itch. The other favorite is the Aveeno SPF 55. I like the way that one feels too. We didn't get sunburns from either. Another favorite of mine is Cellex C SPF 30 (I think it had a rating of 3 from EWG). I have very burn prone skin and this stuff is great for prolonged sun exposure.