PDA

View Full Version : What's your budget look like?

MacMacMoo
01-25-2009, 10:49 PM
So DH and I have sort of slack off in creating a budget, mostly because we are in financial limbo. DH is currently deployed, I'm living with DS in my parents basement till he gets back. When he gets back our finances turn upside down: we'll either buy/rent a house, we'll start paying insurance for two cars (my dad is paying for my car till dh gets back and dh car is in storage so its on a act of god coverage), all the bills relating to owning/renting come into play, etc.

Want to give us a reality check of how far our military salary wont go? What's your monthly budget look like and how do you stretch your dollars?

deannanb
01-25-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm sure there are other boards for Military families -
(I'm not military) -
but the Military board on diaperswappers looks active -
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105

(and look under the thrifty board too)

Good luck!

purpleeyes
01-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I have a monthly budget for the bills, savings, and a credit card bill (netflix, smarttag) I Pay off the credit card every month.
Then, I have a weekly budget-this makes it easier to manage. I give myself about $200-250.
$125:groceries
$30: gas
$50-75: Target (!!) Baby stuff, mostly, household stuff, etc.
$20-25: Activities (museums, play places, starbucks, etc.)

Also, when I'm shopping, I use a calculator. Honestly! I walk around typing in each price as we go along. It really stops me from getting something extra that we don't really need or something extravegant if I can't afford it. Plus, sometimes DS helps me and keeps him from getting crazy in the store! ;)

HTH and good luck!!

niccig
01-26-2009, 03:33 AM
I have a monthly budget for the bills, savings, and a credit card bill (netflix, smarttag) I Pay off the credit card every month.
Then, I have a weekly budget-this makes it easier to manage. I give myself about $200-250.
$125:groceries
$30: gas
$50-75: Target (!!) Baby stuff, mostly, household stuff, etc.
$20-25: Activities (museums, play places, starbucks, etc.)

Also, when I'm shopping, I use a calculator. Honestly! I walk around typing in each price as we go along. It really stops me from getting something extra that we don't really need or something extravegant if I can't afford it. Plus, sometimes DS helps me and keeps him from getting crazy in the store! ;)

HTH and good luck!!

This is a good suggestion about a weekly budget for your own spending.

To the OP, do you know what DH's income will be once he's back? If you do, start with that. We're doing this now. DH's salary is a certain amount, I take what is Net in the bank, and subtracting bills like mortgage, insurance etc. Make sure you subtract savings first, you need to pay yourself first or you never will.

If you don't know what your expenses will be, can you ask around friends for ball park on rent for house/apartment, electricity etc

egoldber
01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I would definitely start by tracking your own spending for 2 weeks. Write down everything that you buy. Then take what you earn and compare to see how things are stacking up.

Unfortunately things like rent/mortgage, utilities, even car insurance, are very regional, so it's hard to extrapolate that from others expenses.