PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Preemie (3 lbs) -- carrier suggestion?

MarisaSF
01-26-2009, 12:52 AM
A sweet little local baby is home with her parents. She's not expected to live for long; it's a "hospice" situation. :( A friend would like to get her a carrier. I was thinking something like a Moby Wrap to keep the baby upright and warm. She has a feeding tube. Or would something like a pouch be better?
TIA.

vludmilla
01-26-2009, 08:49 AM
DD was a preemie, she was 3.75 lbs at birth and under 5 when we brought her home. I didn't find any of our carriers to fit her well. I had a Maya sling wrap and no matter which way I put it on, it seemed DD was being held in an awkward way. I never tried a Moby wrap so that may work, I don't know. I will say that I held DD ALL THE TIME, because it was therapeutic for her but it was also very easy. When they're that small you really can do other things and still hold them. If she wants to try a wrap/sling, she should do it in a store or at least buy from a place that has a good return policy because it may not work for her.
GL

kate2128
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I would say a Moby wrap might be your best bed. I would be afraid she might get lost in a pouch. A Moby seems like it would be so snuggly for a baby that little.

npace19147
01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
My DD1 was a preemie as well, started at 3lbs 3oz and came home at 4lbs 11oz. I would definitely recommend the Moby Wrap. We tried a pouch and I was constantly terrified that the position was restricting her airway. The Moby eliminates that issue and is super snuggly as well. How sad for that family.

SASM
01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I was going to suggest a Moby, too. Pretty easy to use ~ great instruction booklet with pictures. Maybe the Mody D in fleece or a regular one. They really are great.

Never give up hope. Jera's (JeraW) DD was born at 25w and 1#2oz. LOTS of touch and go moments. She is now THRIVING at 3.5y!! Truly a miracle baby. :) Good luck to baby and family.

tmonroe
01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Off topic but I hope the baby has a turn around and makes it.

mamababa
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Not sure whether it's relevant at this point, but I agree with recommendations for a stretchy wrap (like Moby or Bali Baby Stretch). I do think a fleece pouch like the Kangaroo Korner Ajdustable Pouch can also work, but it needs to be pulled up to create a very small pouch, and many people don't feel as secure with that.

Swimfreak78
01-31-2009, 09:37 PM
A sweet little local baby is home with her parents. She's not expected to live for long; it's a "hospice" situation. :( A friend would like to get her a carrier. I was thinking something like a Moby Wrap to keep the baby upright and warm. She has a feeding tube. Or would something like a pouch be better?
TIA.

What about the New Native Baby Carrier - it's a sling which holds the baby close. Not sure how to manage the feeding tube, can the caregiver put it in a backpack or put it in the carrier with baby? Best wishes for the little one.

Also -- the hospital might have suggestions.