PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jack

mommylamb
01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Does anyone have magic jack for their phone? Does it actually work? How does it work for phones other than the one connected to the magic jack (like you upstairs phone for example)? Can you make international calls? Seems too cheap to be true, but I hope it is true because I'd like to pay $30 for the whole year!

JTsMom
01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
What a timely question! DH just told me about this service over the weekend- one of his coworkers has it, and she swears by it. We're going to try it soon, and I'll report back. It seems perfectly reputable, so I'm betting it will be fine.

We currently have Vonage, and I highly recommend it. We've never once had a problem with it. Magic Jack seems similar, just less expensive.

I'm guessing the upstairs phone issue is the same as it is with Vonage- you have to buy a phone system that has multiple handsets, but only one main one.... hmm, I'm not sure what to call it.... one receiver maybe? We have 3 phones, but only one is actually connected to the phone line, if that makes sense. The rest just plug into the wall.

One downside to these services is the 911 issue, so make sure you read up on that.

HTH :)

staramama
01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
My good friend has had the Magic Jack for over a year, and loves it. I have held off signing up for it myself, since we don't keep our computer on all the time-- I believe you would have to do that. If someone tries to break into my house at night, I would hate to have to wait until my computer boots up, before calling 911! I think this type of phone service would be ideal if i kept my cell phone nearby as well--mine is usually left in the car or a coat pocket.

Does anyone know if you can port your existing number? That's also an issue for me. We've had our house number forever, and the kids both know it.

Karen
DS 10-03
DD 10-05

nfowife
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
We live overseas so we know people with both. We know people with both MJ and Vonage. We have vonage and love it. I think the main drawback with MJ is that your computer has to be actually on for it to work. With vonage it doesn't. However, I know a lot of people who travel for their jobs (and many military deployed servicemembers) who use magicjack because it's small and you can take it with you places and have a US number.

JTsMom
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the computer being on thing. Ours is almost always on now, so it's not too big of an issue here. We have our cells as backup too.

mommylamb
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
So with Vonage, you don't need the computer to be on? Interesting...

And, JTsMom... I totally understand what you meant about the handsets.

JTsMom
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
LOL, oh good! Yes, with Vonage, the computer doesn't need to be on. I *think* it's b/c of the bigger, exterior modem Vonage uses, which plugs in on it's own. The MJ would (I'm guessing) draw it's power from the computer, so if the computer is turned off, it can't work.

m448
01-26-2009, 01:10 PM
we have Viatalk for our main personal line and hubby just bought a magic jack to use for work since he works from home 3 days a week. He's been very pleased with it and the clarity is great. Viatalk has been pretty good as well. We prepaid and it comes out to be about $12 a month.

DebbieJ
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Two of my sisters have MJ and I think it sounds like crap. Plus, your computer needs to be on.