PDA

View Full Version : Went to look at strollers over the weekend.. Now more confused..

blondflava
01-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm a first time mom-to-be. The baby is due in May, and I've started doing stroller research already. Here is the situation: I'll stay home with the baby so I'm planning to take a lot of walks from the beginning. We live in the suburban area of a big city, have a car though, during the day I'll mostly walk on sidewalks (a little bumpy), paved park paths etc. Occasionally, mall trips on the weekends (I can walk to a couple department stores where I live, so travel system is not that important). We live in a house, first floor, I don't mind carrying a heavier stroller upstairs if it has most the features I want (or we can leave it in the hallway, folded). About the stroller: bassinet feature would be great, or flat recline, I'd love the reversible seat (but I know it narrows the options). Do I need air tires? or foam tires are OK for longer walks too? I have mixed feelings after reading the forum.. I won't go cross-country hiking with the stroller, but the bumpy sidewalks and occasional grassy areas? I like the I'Coo Targo, (but the foam wheels?), but in the store it felt kind of flimsy? We looked at Britax Vigour but it doesn't recline flat for a newborn. Other strollers: Easy Walker Sky (if I can catch it on mamabargains, otherwise it's too pricey :( - with the additional carrycot.. What happens if I get a flat tire away from home, walking with the baby and a dog Wheeeew.. Anything else I should look into? I don't want to spend more than 450 or so.. Please help.. The trip to the store was supposed to help, but now I'm more confused than ever...:wavey:

Cherrypi79
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm a first time mom-to-be. The baby is due in May, and I've started doing stroller research already. Here is the situation: I'll stay home with the baby so I'm planning to take a lot of walks from the beginning. We live in the suburban area of a big city, have a car though, during the day I'll mostly walk on sidewalks (a little bumpy), paved park paths etc. Occasionally, mall trips on the weekends (I can walk to a couple department stores where I live, so travel system is not that important). We live in a house, first floor, I don't mind carrying a heavier stroller upstairs if it has most the features I want (or we can leave it in the hallway, folded). About the stroller: bassinet feature would be great, or flat recline, I'd love the reversible seat (but I know it narrows the options). Do I need air tires? or foam tires are OK for longer walks too? I have mixed feelings after reading the forum.. I won't go cross-country hiking with the stroller, but the bumpy sidewalks and occasional grassy areas? I like the I'Coo Targo, (but the foam wheels?), but in the store it felt kind of flimsy? We looked at Britax Vigour but it doesn't recline flat for a newborn. Other strollers: Easy Walker Sky (if I can catch it on mamabargains, otherwise it's too pricey :( - with the additional carrycot.. What happens if I get a flat tire away from home, walking with the baby and a dog Wheeeew.. Anything else I should look into? I don't want to spend more than 450 or so.. Please help.. The trip to the store was supposed to help, but now I'm more confused than ever...:wavey:

Just read your post and went to check out what mamabargains was....the stroller (easy walker sky) is there! Hope you are here to get it!

AnnieW625
01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
I am sort of in the same boat as you do, except I am having #2, and live in suburban Los Angeles. For the under $450 and under you aren't going to find much. Both DH and I went into shock when we went looking (we had a hand me down Pliko when DD was a newborn, and our main stroller since she was 3 mos. old is a Mac Triumph) for a nicer new stroller for #2.

I have been very impressed with all of the postitive reviews the Uppababy Vista has been getting on this site so you might want to check that one out; however the 2009 model is over $600 including the bassinet, and will have the ability to carry a rumble seat which comes out in a couple of months (if you plan on having kids). I am actually looking at a used model (2008 model, I think) tonight for $399. The 2008 models are still available for around $550. Hopefully you'll be able to find a store that keeps them locally so you can at least try it out.

Valco Trimode stroller is also priced lower than the Vista, but you have to buy the bassinet separately.

There is always the Bugaboo Cameleon, and Frog strollers which I've seen on Craigslist, and on Ebay in the past if you aren't super picky about colors or that it be brand new.

I feel your pain when shopping for a new stroller. One other thing is that air tires might be nice, but many companies including Uppababy (and maybe even Bugaboo) sell their strollers with hybrid rubber tires. DH says he wants the larger tires, but doesn't want the air filed ones; he hates filling them up!

ETA: If you do a fair amount of jogging some friends have the Bob Revolution stroller and love it so much they use it as much as possible for their main stroller. There is a standard infant carseat adaptor that is available for the stroller so you don't have to worry about the recline.

edurnemk
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Do I need air tires? or foam tires are OK for longer walks too? I have mixed feelings after reading the forum.. I won't go cross-country hiking with the stroller, but the bumpy sidewalks and occasional grassy areas? I like the I'Coo Targo, (but the foam wheels?),

For bumpy sidewalks, foam wheels are OK. I have the Vista and it does great on grass and snow, too. The plus side, is you never get flats. The ride is only slighlty bumpier than with air tires.

blondflava
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
LOL, I went for a plunge and ordered the LAST Easy Walker in green.. I can't wait to get it, now, if only mamabargains had the bassinets too, but anyway, planning to get one as well..

As for the tires, I gave it a long thought... I used to ride my bike a lot, back in Europe, and really don't remember getting a flat, both city and country, so I shouldn't be chickening out now about it.. I guess I'll need to be prepared for an eventual flat, I had a look at the online manuals and it's not that bad. If we figure out, we might need an umbrella stroller later on, for the mall and air trips and such, we might get a cheap one.. Buying a stroller is as tough as buying a car, isn't it??

~ Bella

edurnemk
01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Buying a stroller is as tough as buying a car, isn't it??

I think it's harder than buying a car! LOL I don't think I did so much research or thought so much about my car.

strollerqueen
01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
LOL, I hear that all the time! It is odd that it is something that stresses us all out so badly.

blondflava
01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Strollerqueen, big kudos for you for keeping that awesome website... I think i spent a decent amount of day browsing all the links and reading your stories :bighand:

gatorsmom
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I guess I'll need to be prepared for an eventual flat, I had a look at the online manuals and it's not that bad.
~ Bella

To prepare for a flat, you'll need the same things you need for a bike. A package of levers to raise the tire, a small tire pump, and some extra inner tubes. You can get all that stuff at a bike store. To get the right size of tubes just talk to someone who does repairs. I have a Mountain Buggy which is our all-purpose stroller. We keep all that stuff stashed "on board" the stroller because though rare, we've had a flat tire in the airport once and once on vacation. When you are prepared for it, it's not a big deal.

Enjoy your Easy Walker!

blondflava
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
To prepare for a flat, you'll need the same things you need for a bike. A package of levers to raise the tire, a small tire pump, and some extra inner tubes. You can get all that stuff at a bike store. To get the right size of tubes just talk to someone who does repairs. I have a Mountain Buggy which is our all-purpose stroller. We keep all that stuff stashed "on board" the stroller because though rare, we've had a flat tire in the airport once and once on vacation. When you are prepared for it, it's not a big deal.

Enjoy your Easy Walker!

Thanks, gatorsmom! I guess nothing is a big deal when you are prepared right :D. Now, thinking about it, I am amazed I didn't get a flat on a bike tire on one of those week-long biking escapades we used to do with my Grandpa... LOL. I also hope that Easy Walker can be my all-purpose stroller..