PDA

View Full Version : Temp Job Short Notice and Childcare

amldaley
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Times are tough and money is uber tight. Got a call from my old boss, just up the street from my house, that she needs some help this week. I need to go there today for a couple of hours to work with her then I can work the rest of the week in the evenings or whenever I have child care.

I NEED A SITTER, TODAY, FOR FREE.

I have exhausted all the easy options. No friends nearby who don't work or aren't busy. No family here at all. Husband is major swamped.

Do I knock on the neighbors door across the street whom I would trust with dd but I feel odd asking her and I can't pay her, or do I take dd with me, set her up on the floor to play and hope she isn't a major distraction while my boss goes over the project details for a couple of hours. dd is 6 months old and does not play well on her own. And we nurse.

ARGH!!!

egoldber
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, if you really think it would only be for a couple hours, it can't hurt to ask right?

shawnandangel
01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Depends on how close you are with your neighbor. I would explain my situation and see what she says. If she agrees I would bake her something later as a thank you, along with a thank you card.

WatchingThemGrow
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Take an exersaucer, go around a naptime and let her sleep in the stroller if she will.

Better yet, ask the boss if she'd mind coming to your house so DD can play in all her equipment while you go over everything.

ha98ed14
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Neither of those sound like good options. It's not an emergency (as in DH in the hospital) so your neighbors could take it the wrong way if you know on their door and ask for free child care. And taking DD with you is unprofessional unless that is the culture of your workplace, which it does not sound like it is.

If I were in your situation, I would call boss back and explain that you are very excited to have the opportunity to pick up this work for her, but you weren't able to arrange daycare for today. (Exactly how short was the notice?) Tell her you can either bring DD with you or meet with her later in the evening (when DH/ friend/ will be home from work and will watch DD.) And which would she prefer you to do. Depending on how short the notice was, she may be understanding. Is she also a working mom? If she says "Nevermind. I'll find someone else." then you know that it is not a long term source of work for you.

amldaley
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Take an exersaucer, go around a naptime and let her sleep in the stroller if she will.

Better yet, ask the boss if she'd mind coming to your house so DD can play in all her equipment while you go over everything.

Have to use the system in the office, but I hadn't thought of the exersaucer...

amldaley
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Neither of those sound like good options. It's not an emergency (as in DH in the hospital) so your neighbors could take it the wrong way if you know on their door and ask for free child care. And taking DD with you is unprofessional unless that is the culture of your workplace, which it does not sound like it is.

If I were in your situation, I would call boss back and explain that you are very excited to have the opportunity to pick up this work for her, but you weren't able to arrange daycare for today. (Exactly how short was the notice?) Tell her you can either bring DD with you or meet with her later in the evening (when DH/ friend/ will be home from work and will watch DD.) And which would she prefer you to do. Depending on how short the notice was, she may be understanding. Is she also a working mom? If she says "Nevermind. I'll find someone else." then you know that it is not a long term source of work for you.

She's already approved of dd coming, but reluctantly. She has no one else to do this and it was VERY short notice and it HAS to be today.

I think I am going to try a different neighbor down the street who has a toddler and is PG and owes me a fave...I am not keen on her parenting style, but she is a licensed childcare provider. If not, it's jumperoo, activity gym and baby at the office! There will just be me and the boss. I can even through dd into a carrier and wear her there....

ha98ed14
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
She's already approved of dd coming, but reluctantly. She has no one else to do this and it was VERY short notice and it HAS to be today.

I think I am going to try a different neighbor down the street who has a toddler and is PG and owes me a fave...I am not keen on her parenting style, but she is a licensed childcare provider. If not, it's jumperoo, activity gym and baby at the office! There will just be me and the boss. I can even through dd into a carrier and wear her there....

Well, if she already said yes, then you know you can do that. If your neighbor gives you a weird vibe, you have a back-up. I know all to well the troubles of not having childcare you feel good about. Good luck. I hope it all goes well.

kedss
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
heya-
I take my dd(now 7.5 months) to work aftercare at my ds's school, I wear her for most of the 2 hours I'm there- your boss called last minute, so I think she should be able to deal with it. :)