PDA

View Full Version : When to up a diaper size?

byek
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
I have a silly question, but when do you know to up a size in your child's diaper? Do you go by weight limits? It seems like the diaper is okay during the daytime, but it doesn't hold up overnight.

Thank you!

justincase
01-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I always found I had to do it well before DS reached whatever the weight limit was on the smaller size. I think there is a pretty big overlap in the weight ranges, too, so you can be on the upper end of the range for one size and already be into the lower end of the range for the next. For me, it was like you said: when he started consistently wetting through at night. And/or when I felt like I was just squeezing him in too much -- too tight around the middle. I would say just get the next size up and try them and if they seem too huge, try again in a couple of weeks.

o_mom
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
When it stops fitting or working. :) If they are still OK during the day, try sizing up at night. We did this with DS3 for a bit - he was/is in size 4 and that is fine during the day, but needs a 5 at night or he leaks about half the time. Since disposables get more expensive as you go up a size, this will save you a little bit of money.

byek
01-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Thank you. I am going to go up a size at night and see how that works.

carolinamama
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Also try Huggies overnights if you are only having leaks then. Both my boys are/were heavy night wetters and they are the only thing that works - we even size up on them!

HIU8
01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I never went by the weight limits. Both DS and DD grew out of diapers way before they reached the weight limit. I could tell b/c they were harder to close around their belly, or they leaked (DD has a big rear and I have to size way up just to cover her--DD is 19 months and only a size 6 works right now).

Both DS and DD went through the regular diapers at night. I used huggies overnights with DS and huggies overnights plus a diaper doubler with DD.

HTH

byek
01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Do the Huggies Overnights leave any crystal beads behind? I noticed that with some other Huggies when we first tried them out when my DC was first born.

pastrygirl
01-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I always gave it three blowouts. It translated to about 7 pounds before the next size's lower limit.

carolinamama
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
We've never really had a problem with the beads but I know others have in all types of diapers. We are Huggies people after the newborn stage (and now loving our cloth dipes :D ) and I've never had problems.

byek
01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I always gave it three blowouts. It translated to about 7 pounds before the next size's lower limit.

Oh that helps a lot. I'll try the larger size at night and see how that works. Thanks!

HIU8
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I have never had that issue with the overnights before.