PDA

View Full Version : Mac Quest, Peg Perego Aria or Pliko, or keep Graco?

sariana
01-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I am that (apparently rare) person who is perfectly happy with our 4 1/2-year-old Graco Metrolite. But when DD was born a year ago, DH's grandma gave us a hefty chunk of change, and DH said we should get a Maclaren to replace the Graco. I said, "Why?" but started to do research on Macs. At first I was convinced I wanted the Volo, but then I saw a Quest in black and green. I like that it comes with a rainshield because I walk DS to school, and though it rarely rains here, when it does I would like to cover DD. I like the colors of the stroller because it is neutral enough that DS could sit in it (still weighs only 37 lbs. at 4 1/2) or we could sell it more easily later.

Anyway, we went to buy it, and suddenly DH is having second thoughts. He saw the PP Aria and wondered if it would be better. The Pliko was there, as well.

As I said, I am perfectly fine keeping the Graco, but I do like the smoothness of the Quest (and that rain shield, though I could buy one for the Volo, too). DD does sometimes sleep in the stroller but she falls asleep even if it is not reclined at all. So a recline is not necessary, just a nice feature.

The one qualm I have about the Quest is that it does not have a tray. Sometimes I do put food for DD on the tray of the Graco, which is convenient. The parent cupholders are nice but not a necessity; I use them for water bottles for the kids, which could just as easily go underneath.

DH mentioned how convenient the Graco was at SeaWorld because he is cheap and always wants to take in lunch. The large basket was good for carting around the diaper bag and lunch bags. We do plan to go to Disneyland soon, but I don't want to buy a stroller based on one trip.

We also have a BOB, which is great on the trails near our house. But something smaller for errands would be nice.

So, any suggestions? We bought the Quest, but we could return it (still in the box). Should we consider the Aria instead since it has a child tray? Should we just keep the Graco since it is just fine?

TIA, and sorry so long.

alirebco
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
My SIL has the Aria and I have the Quest and she really wants to return her stroller and get a Mac! The steering is so much better and it folds up so much smaller that she is really considering it. From all of the research I have done, online and in person, I would say the Quest is better than the Peg strollers. The only downside for some people is the basket but we have never had an issue with it.

AnnieW625
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I heart the stroller fold on my Triumph (bought when DD was three mos. old) so much that I never even bought a carriage stroller to replace the Pliko hand me down I had when DD was first born. It steers like a dream, is light, great for travel, and has many plusses. Neither DD nor I missed the snack holder option. We never really fed her in her stroller much until she was around 2 and couldn't make a huge mess (now we give her fruit snacks, or trail mix. If you felt like you really wanted to save some money I'd return the Quest for a Triumph, but as much as I love my Triumph I wish I would've gotten the Quest over the Triumph because of the recline. For times when you really feel like you need a snack tray then just keep the Metrolite. If it's not broke why fix it?

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2009, 02:08 PM
I have a Metrolite and am also happy with it. I considered buying a Quest simply b/c the Metrolite takes up so much trunk space. I researched and tried all the ones you listed and I liked the Quest the best.

I hear you on the snack tray but there are so many add ons that that shouldn't be a factor. Buy the Snack Trap and accessory kit and just clip it on to the stroller:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534512&cmSource=Search

I'd personally keep the Graco and just bank the money. They'll be something else you want to buy later. :)

Beth

meme9300
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
If you like the Graco...keep it and use it until the wheels fall of and bank the money!! :)

However, if you are set on getting another stroller don't get the Aria. Might as well keep the Graco in that case since the Aria is no better. A lot of people here love the P3 but I think it is plasticy and heavier than your Metrolite (I think) so no big plus there.

I am biased since I have a Quest and love it but if you like your Graco I say spend that money on something else down the line!

Good luck!

left210
01-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I have heard that you can buy the babytrend snack tray and it fits on the Triumph. Not sure if it fits on the quest or not. I went to BRU and took the tray off the stroller and it did snap on the Triumph. You might try doing that to the quest to see if it works. If it does you can buy it here. http://www.babytrend.com/products_detail.php?products_detail.php?ID=&LampID=8&pages=2

AnnieW625
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
"A lot of people here love the P3 but I think it is plasticy and heavier than your Metrolite (I think) so no big plus there."

I felt the same way with the Pliko I had three years ago. I love how it steered, but it was nothing special IMHO. Had I wanted another everyday stroller after buying my Mac I probably would've bought a Graco Quattro or Metrolite too.

sariana
01-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I should have mentioned that we TOLD Grandma we were planning to use some of the money to buy a stroller. Also, we are not planning to have 3 strollers around. If we keep the Quest, the Graco goes bye-bye. I'm hoping to sell or donate the stroller, the car seat and 2 bases, and the swing as a set. (We also have a matching Portacrib, but NO WAY are we getting rid of that.) The car seat (SnugRide) expires in December 2010, so I'm thinking someone who really has nothing else could still use it.

meme9300
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
You know I just reread your original post. Grandma told you to get a maclaren? That is one hip grandma if she knows that much about strollers!

I am positive that if you did decide to keep your metrolite and not buy a new stroller with the money (or bought a cheaper umbrella and used the difference for something else) that Grandma would totally understand.

For instance, you could find a silver cross POP (very similar to the Quest) for $100 and use the difference for other things.

It is honestly up to you but I don't think you need to buy a new stroller if you really like the one you have...

lorinick
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I have a Metro Lite and love it, but also have a Mac Quest and love it a little more since it's lighter and the harness straps are easier to use and the fabric comes off easy on the Quest and washes likes it's brand new. But I do still use my Metro for those large shopping trips to the mall. Like your dh said the basket really comes in handy. I think you can still use the metro and have a Quest I do and still use both strollers. The snap tray is not a big deal for us. I miss the parent tray. But I did get the Mac org. bag for the back of the stroller and I can put water's or the juice cup in there.

About the Peg Aria I would do that stroller. The reviews are not great. I have a friend that has problems opening the stroller. It sticks and is hard to open. The sun shade is the best thing about the Aria. It doesn't steer as nice and the fold isn't as great as the Quest imo. If you have the Metro already the Quest is a great choice I would keep both strollers.

sariana
02-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded. We decided to keep the Quest, and I love it. It is so much easier to maneuver than the Graco. I didn't even know about the extendable footrest when we bought it, but I think it is my favorite feature. DD is 12 months but is rather small. I can extend the bars to keep her feet from just hanging over the edge. She seems so comfortable.

I have to admit that one reason I wanted this stroller was that I liked the color scheme. Not a great reason to choose a stroller, but it has worked out well. A Volo probably would have been just fine, but I like the extra cushioning, the recline, and the rain shield (which I really hope to get to use--we are parched here in SoCal).