PDA

View Full Version : Should I try harder to have DH stay home

KBecks
01-26-2009, 05:41 PM
We are all puking and pooping all over the place. DH has a conference in Chicago tomorrow and he says he is going. John was sick Friday, he's better, DH and I were sick last night, I feel weak yet, Alek was sick today and Mark so far is OK.

I don't really want to be left at home with 3 kids all day. He says he needs me to be stronger. I told him I think he's still contagious (vomit and stool) but he seems to want to go. He will leave in the AM and be home by 6. I think he should stay home but he wants to go and this conference seems to be a big deal for him.

DH is very independent and he has decided, so I don't know if it's worth it to ask him / push him about staying home, or if it will just cause bad feelings. We had a little heated talk today because Alek vomited all over the floor and we disagreed about cleaning technique. He's easily pissy / uncompassionate when we're sick and isn't very supportive or caring. It sucks, because it' when I want a little nurturing,he gets angry that I'm sick and does not want to help, and he lets me know that he's unhappy.

elephantmeg
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
huge hugs! Do you have other support?

Ceepa
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
We just went through this last week. It seemed to be a 24-36 bug with the last half mostly being weakness and lingering headache.

DH went to work the next day and felt weak but made it through.

Sorry you're all sick. :(

ThreeofUs
01-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh, hugs, Karen!! Sounds awful all around. Hope everyone gets better soon.

When you all are, why don't you feed DH a glass of wine and have a talk with him about where you feel unsupported, and why you need him?

wellyes
01-26-2009, 06:58 PM
That sucks, I'm so sorry. My DH was bedridden last week with a bug like that --- it really does make you a useless exhausted lump who needs to be taken care of!

If I were you, I think I would not put my foot down for this one day he will be away since your argument about it has escalated to include way too much baggage. But definitely do sit down together to address your overall frustration.

Hope all in your family feel much better soon.

elektra
01-26-2009, 07:06 PM
That sucks. Such a difficult situation. You deserve the help, and depending on the job, many DH's would stay.
FWIW, my DH would have still gone on the trip too, so I can definitely relate. He was gone for a week to Korea right before Christmas. DD and I were both sick, DD's nanny came during the day while I was working, and I still I thought I wouldn't survive! Can't imagine it with 3 kids and just me.

pinkmomagain
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry you're all sick and you have to deal with the brunt of it. If it were my DH, he would definitely be outta there and at the conference....and I would not push him to stay home. If it's work-related it may be best for him to go...especially in this economy.

KBecks
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Update - I think he is staying home. I think he is still feeling worse than he has been letting on, and I'm much happier, I think. Sometimes I'm not sure I should want what I want. I think it will be OK. Thank you!

KpbS
01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
:hug: We had this last week and the baby still has it poor dear. Hope everyone's much better soon!

hillview
01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
My DH would go. So sorry!! Good luck!
/hillary