PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not have a birthday party for DC?

elektra
01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
So I am considering not having any kind of party for DD for her 2nd birthday. Am I crazy for considering it?
Reasoning:
-DH is turning 40 this year and I wanted to do something bigger than the usual party we have for every birthday where his whole family comes over (usually just family). His birthday is also only 2 weeks before DD's. So I kind of figure this is the last year the focus will be anything close to on him. Plus it's the big 4-0.

-DH's family is out of control with birthdays and parties IMO. We are now combining several occasions into one event, which in my mind just makes each individual occasion less meaningful.
Ex. Last weekend was SIL's sister's baby shower, combined with birthday parties for 3 of my IL's.
Next weekend will be a party for my niece and nephew combined with a shower for me and SIL.
2 weeks after that would be DH's birthday, 2 weeks after that DD's.
Then Easter, and so an and so on.
We LITERALLY have at least one party per month and now it's about every two weeks! DH's has a large family too- our headcount is 32 of immediate family for each of these events.

-All of DH's family (and mine) will still get DD a gift but I don't have to open them all at the party or host an additional event at my house after many consecutive weeks of parties (did I mention DH wants to have a SuperBowl party here?)

m448
01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
we borrowed a wonderful idea from a friend and have been doing it for years. One year we have a birthday party the following year a family outing which the birthday child chooses. Since they're young the outings have been to fire stations, the zoo, etc. but once they are older and since we're homeschoolers we're willing to consider a trip somewhere too.

This last year was a "party" year and it's been exhausting. I'm so glad we only do it every other year.

Ceepa
01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Around here a 2 yo birthday party is a small, at-home, immediate-family affair. We really enjoy it and focus on the birthday babe more easily.

salsah
01-26-2009, 07:06 PM
we didn't do a party for dd's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd birthday party because she didn't care / know enough to want one. we did get together w/ family, go out for dinner and have cake with candles of course.

maestramommy
01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
We haven't had any parties for Dora since her 1st. We had a family birthday moment but that's it. I don't know when we'll have parties again. Maybe when she starts asking? Maybe when she turns 4 this fall? By then she might have school friends she'll want to invite.

ged
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think you are crazy at all. A 2 year, IMO doesn't *need* a birthday party. For my DD's 2nd, we had my DH, my sister and my mom (not even the whole extended family) over and we pulled a table out to the backyard, and took photos of her with her cake, and we were wearing little birthday hats. That was it. 20 minutes tops. *I* wanted to do it for the photo-op, it's not b/c my DD needed it.

My my DD's 3rd birthday, we had a dinner with some friends that come over on a weekly basis (so nothing special), but we had a cake with a candle, again, for the photo-op. I served more child-friendly food, like homemade jello, and I think I bought some paper plats/napkins/tablecloth with a birthday theme. I think one of the friends brought a balloon over for her, but no gifts, etc. ,and no goody bags for the friends.

My DD is turning 4 this year, and since she is not asking for a party, I don't think we will do one.

I just want to commemorate each year with some nice photos, etc. I think that is most imp. for me, at least for now. When DD starts really asking for more, and if we can do it, then we might. But I think I will always lean towards simple.

ETA: I am not in any way opposed to b-day parties, etc. Please don't misunderstand me. I thinks moms who do parties every year have very lucky kids!

hellokitty
01-26-2009, 07:53 PM
I only do a big party for my kids every few yrs. First big party is the 1st bday party and we pretty much just invite close family and friends. Next big party is the 5th bday party. My son will be having his in a couple of wks and we're doing it at the carrousel, b/c I don't want to host a bunch of ppl at my house in the middle of winter. In btwn, we just do small family bday parties, but I still let my kids pick out what, "theme" they want and get the plates and hats, etc., but we don't really do games and stuff.

Zansu
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
We don't do BD parties until the boys are 5. We do a big party for the 5th at a "destination (gym, pump it up, etc). After that, it's at-home parties for the class. When they're 10, we may do another "destination" party.

hellokitty
01-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Oh and I wanted to add that, after his big 5 yr old party, we'll probably do a couple yrs of just home family parties again and then when he is 7-8, he can invite one or two friends to come over for dinner and a sleep over or something. Maybe I am just a lazy mom, but I HATE throwing parties. I know that as a kid I had a big party when I was about 6-7 and then after that I really didn't want to have another big party again. However, if my parents would have let me invite one or two friends to come over for dinner, cake and a sleepover, I would have totally loved it.

jgenie
01-26-2009, 08:29 PM
DS just turned one and we celebrated just the three of us - DH, DS & myself. I made his cake and we sang Happy Birthday and opened presents. I didn't want an adult celebration. We feel very blessed, especially in these economic times, that DS has all that he needs. We made a donation to a local children's charity with the money we would have spent on a party. We'll continue that tradition until DS is old enough to ask for a party. (I'm pretty sure I got the idea from someone here.)

AngelaS
01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I've never thrown big parties for any of my girls. We celebrate just among our little family and make it special among us. It's not like we need more gifts or chaos around here!

vludmilla
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
It is definitely okay to not have a party for DD at the age of 2. She won't know the difference and you will still see family and she will get presents. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. There will be plenty of years to come when she will care.

kransden
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
If you don't have a party, what will happen? I bet nothing! So stay at home, get a cake and some candles and call it good. You'll be having bigger parties soon enough. :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Around here a 2 yo birthday party is a small, at-home, immediate-family affair. We really enjoy it and focus on the birthday babe more easily.

That's what we did except the g'parents and near by aunts and uncles came. We get together a lot so it wasn't really a big party.

Beth

carolinamama
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
For DS's 2nd birthday, we just had a brunch at our house with DH, DS, me, my parents (who live in town) and my mil. I made a cake, we sang Happy Birthday and DS opened his gifts from our parents. He was thrilled with it - just getting a celebration all for him with the people who mattered most in his life.

No need to do a big elaborate affair. Save it for your DH who is having a big one this year.

amandabea
01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
We've decided on party every other year - we'll see how that goes, but that's the plan anyway.

Last Friday was DD's 2nd birthday and I just took rice krispie treats and balloons to her daycare class (the balloons would have been sufficient). Then she, DH and I went to dinner. It was really nice and relaxing for all of us and she had a great time.

JustMe
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I think it is totally fine not to have a party for a 2 yr old, especially given your circumstances...I agree that you could do a little extra something on his birthday with your immediate family...or have a special little cake/big card for everyone to sign at your dh's party.

MartiesMom2B
01-26-2009, 11:31 PM
DD2's birthday is next week. We aren't doing a party for her. Instead I got floor seats to Playhouse Disney Live. She's not going to remember her party and she doesn't really have friends aside from her pals at preschool. So I'm just going to bring in cupcakes next week and be done with it.

elektra
01-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the advice. DH was suprisingly open to the idea of not having a party for DD. There has seriously NEVER not been a party or some type of recognition of someone's birthday including opening of gifts for any of his 5 siblings, spouses or parents. SO when we do "immediate family" it literally equals 27+ people. So not so "immediate" if you ask me!
I am looking forward to a birthday with just DH, myself and DD. It may be the last time this happens as we will probably do a DH, DD combo from now on, and invite the whole "immediate" group. :)
DH's family is going to have a very hard time grasping this concept of no party.;)

Corie
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
My son didn't get a birthday party until this year when he turned 4 yrs. old.

I don't think it's a big deal at all.

bethie_73
01-27-2009, 09:26 AM
We do Birthday parties because DH and I want to, not because DS would be devastated without one ;) We don't have many get togethers at our house, and this allows us to have one.

My friend's daughter turns 5 this year and it is the first year of the Birthday party for them, because she was asking why her other friends got a party and she didn't :hysterical: I guess she has me and our other friends to thank for this, oops.

nfowife
01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
My DS just turned 2 yesterday :). We had a "party" but really, we just had the families of my 2 closest friends over for a brunch playdate. And I made cupcakes and we sang happy birthday. DS didn't really know or understand that it was his birthday, and didn't care to blow out the candles! Without the dads, this same group of people have been over at least twice before for playdates so all that was different was the dads and the cupcakes, and it was a party! Oh, and we did not do gifts either.

alexsmommy
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I haven't read all of the responses, but I think 2 is the perfect age to "skip" a party. At one you want the pics (it's so not for them) at 2 they have no clue what's up. At 3, if they go to preschool they will most likely get invited to other parties and "get it" and may want at least a family party. So two is the year to skip IMO. Not that kids "have" to have a party any year.

egoldber
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Around here a 2 yo birthday party is a small, at-home, immediate-family affair. We really enjoy it and focus on the birthday babe more easily

This is what we did for Amy's second birthday. We did do a decorated cake, but we make those ourselves and we enjoy doing it. I do think it's important to have some kind of celebration, especially if you did one for your other child(ren) at that age. But it does not have to be a big party.

brittone2
01-27-2009, 12:20 PM
So I am considering not having any kind of party for DD for her 2nd birthday. Am I crazy for considering it?
Reasoning:
-DH is turning 40 this year and I wanted to do something bigger than the usual party we have for every birthday where his whole family comes over (usually just family). His birthday is also only 2 weeks before DD's. So I kind of figure this is the last year the focus will be anything close to on him. Plus it's the big 4-0.

-DH's family is out of control with birthdays and parties IMO. We are now combining several occasions into one event, which in my mind just makes each individual occasion less meaningful.
Ex. Last weekend was SIL's sister's baby shower, combined with birthday parties for 3 of my IL's.
Next weekend will be a party for my niece and nephew combined with a shower for me and SIL.
2 weeks after that would be DH's birthday, 2 weeks after that DD's.
Then Easter, and so an and so on.
We LITERALLY have at least one party per month and now it's about every two weeks! DH's has a large family too- our headcount is 32 of immediate family for each of these events.

-All of DH's family (and mine) will still get DD a gift but I don't have to open them all at the party or host an additional event at my house after many consecutive weeks of parties (did I mention DH wants to have a SuperBowl party here?)

DS had a 1st bday party. He hasn't wanted one since. When I've asked him if he wants one, most years he says "just have mom mom and pop pop over". He's about to turn 5 and has expressed an interest in having one this year, so we are going to. He never missed it the other years and even when I offered he didn't seem to care.

(eta: of course we still had a *family* party with the grandparents. Just not a friend party)

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I couldn't decide what to do for my son's 2nd birthday so to skip the dilemma, we just decided on a family trip to Hawaii. My parents came as well and it was great. :D

We rented a house on the beach and has his cake right there on the deck overlooking the ocean.

I want to do the same for my 2nd, but when he turns 2, my older son will be in school and we probably won't be able to take a trip.

It sounds a bit over the top, but we usually do one beach vacation each year anyways.

HIU8
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
DS didn't have a "real" birthday party until he was 4. We usually just had immediate family over for dinner and a cake (if that). For DD we celebrated her first bday with my father and sister and BIL and DN. That's it. We had them over and played in the water in the backyard and then ate takeout and a cake. DD won't get a "real" party until 4 or 5 either.