PDA

View Full Version : Need funny/light hearted book club recommendations

s7714
01-26-2009, 07:16 PM
My book club needs something fun...lighthearted...comedic even! Anyone have any ideas? It's o.k. if it's a little fluffy. TIA!

elektra
01-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Any David Sedaris book I've read has been pretty funny. And I'm trying to think of other funny books I've read but the humor is always seeming to mask the other horrible things going on in the author's or protaganist's life!

Pennylane
01-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I love the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella or Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner.

Ann

tylersmama
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I second the Shopaholic books. Love 'em, and they sound like exactly what you're looking for.

ohiomom1121
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
I just saw someone in People magazine recommend, "Are you there Vodka? It's me Chelsea" by Chelsea Handler. She's really funny, so I bet the book would be too! It gets great reviews on Amazon.

Asianmommy
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I second David Sedaris--I just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day and When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Both are hilarious!

tarabenet
01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
All of Laurie Notaro's "Idiot Girl" books have made me laugh until I cried. Sarah Bird has some great ones, too.

fauve01
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
My book club all LOVED "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. this was lighter than our usual choices, and had a touch of magic in it. we all really loved it.
http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Spells-Bantam-Discovery-Addison/dp/0553590324/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233017366&sr=1-1

We recently read and discussed "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons" by Lorna Landvik and we all really really liked that. it had funny and light parts, as well as heavier stuff. the few other books by landvik I've read would also be great choices.
http://www.amazon.com/Angry-Housewives-Eating-Bon-Bons/dp/0345475690/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233017167&sr=8-1

Have you done "Marley and ME"? it has a lot of funny parts (some really sad ones too).

You might also try: Dorthea Benton Frank (especially Plantation), Fannie Flagg (especially "Welcome to the world Baby Girl"), Claire Cook.

I'm totally blanking on more--I'll edit if i remember.

HTH~
Anne

fivi2
01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Love David Sedaris.

I have read part of the Chelsea Handler book mentioned above - looked pretty funny.

My sister loves Jen Lancaster's books (I haven't read, but did read some of her blog and it was funny): Bitter is the New Black; Bright Lights, Big @ss; Such a Pretty Fat. (I think those are right).

The Know It All (one man's quest to read the encyclopedia, I forget the author) is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I can look up the exact title and author if you are interested. He goes through the encyclopedia, so it is kind of hard to read in one sitting. Better to pick up and put down, but hysterical.

Terry Pratchett is funny. If you don't want to get into Discworld, Good Omens (co-authored with Neil Gaiman) is a good non-discworld book.

Fairy
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Jemimah J, by Jane Green. Fat girl tries to find love in thinness. Hysterical and fun and light.

Pennylane
01-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Jemimah J, by Jane Green. Fat girl tries to find love in thinness. Hysterical and fun and light.

I forgot about her, I love Jane Green books!

Ann

DietCokeLover
01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I was going to suggest Sophie Kinsella, but I see it's already been mentioned. Also, you might look at Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. They are "numbers", i.e. the most recent book is Lean Mean Thirteen.

jacksmomtobe
01-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I second Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. Reading the description I didn't think I would be interested in her books but a little old lady convinced me to buy one at Target and it was laugh out loud funny (&I'm not an easy laugher). Since then I've read all her books in that series and actually look forward to new ones. A great light read!

BabyMine
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
I just got done reading Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay by Stefanie Wilder-Taylor (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Stefanie%20Wilder-Taylor) . It was hilarious. I could not stop laughing. If you are easlily offended don't read it. She is a friend of Chelsea Handler so you can imagine the content.

zag95
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I second many of the recommendations:

David Sedaris was good-

But I really like Janet Evanovich- hillarious! Start with the first one!

And Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay was also very funny- but if all of the book club aren't mothers, then it might be a little exclusionary!

My vote would be Evanovich!

brigeet
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Austenland is a fun and fairly quick read. I heard about it on a Disney message board actually. It's about a single 30-something woman with a Jane Austen obsession who goes to a regency manor house for a vacation. The house is filled with actors and other vacationers trying to escape reality. Will she find love?

Austenland by Shannon Hale
http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=austenland

wifecat
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
You might check out Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own. My book club put this on our list and it sounds hilarious.

MichelleRC
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Love Walked in by Marisa de la Santos
Odd Mom Out (am blanking on the author)
I also love books by Jennifer Weiner and Dorothea Benton Frank (mentioned already).

graciebellesmomma
01-27-2009, 01:56 AM
I read Queen of the Road and it's pretty funny!
It's a super fast, easy read and her writing is
light.

If You Could See Me Now by Cecilia Ahearn

Paris to the Moon

The Wedding Officer

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Anything by Diane Mott Davidson... culinary whodunits!

Eat Pray Love

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-27-2009, 02:06 AM
I second Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. Reading the description I didn't think I would be interested in her books but a little old lady convinced me to buy one at Target and it was laugh out loud funny (&I'm not an easy laugher). Since then I've read all her books in that series and actually look forward to new ones. A great light read!

:yeahthat:

I :heartbeat: Stephanie Plum, and the 2 hotties she is "involved with!"