PDA

View Full Version : IKEA mattress sale $399 set -- Is it worth it?

vludmilla
01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
IKEA is having a sale on the Sultan/Hasselback/Tuvebo 3 piece set. It is regularly $799 but only $399 on Saturday. I have been intending to get a Queen mattress set when we move in about a year and I was thinking I would get it at IKEA because of their avoidance of PBDE's and other chemicals.

So, my question to all of you is...is it worth it? Are these nice mattresses? I know they aren't luxury mattresses but I do want something nice that will hold up. They say they have a 25 year warranty which seems pretty amazing but I haven't read the fineprint.

If we buy the mattress set it will be a bit of a problem for us but I don't want to miss out on a sale since they seem so infrequent at IKEA.

Thanks for reading all of this and any feedback you can give me!

Victoria

doberbrat
01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I LOVE my IKEA mattress we have forestad I think - I HATE leaving home b/c there's no mattress nearly as comfy as my IKEA mattress.

vludmilla
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I LOVE my IKEA mattress we have forestad I think - I HATE leaving home b/c there's no mattress nearly as comfy as my IKEA mattress.

OOh, thanks for replying Doberbrat. I think I might have to get it this Saturday.

Dancerella
01-27-2009, 01:28 AM
I don't remember which exact type of mattress I bought from Ikea 3 years ago, but I LOVE it! Just like Doberbrat said, I hate sleeping anywhere else. I spent a good hour trying out all the various Ikea mattresses and picked the one most comfy for me. I topped it with a memory foam topper from Costco and it is like sleeping on a cloud. Mine is on the slatted base, no box springs which I like better (less to cover with allergy protectors). It has held up very well and I anticipate keeping it for a long time. Test the one on sale out and if it's comfy for you, go for it! That is a fantastic price for sure.

vludmilla
01-27-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't remember which exact type of mattress I bought from Ikea 3 years ago, but I LOVE it! Just like Doberbrat said, I hate sleeping anywhere else. I spent a good hour trying out all the various Ikea mattresses and picked the one most comfy for me. I topped it with a memory foam topper from Costco and it is like sleeping on a cloud. Mine is on the slatted base, no box springs which I like better (less to cover with allergy protectors). It has held up very well and I anticipate keeping it for a long time. Test the one on sale out and if it's comfy for you, go for it! That is a fantastic price for sure.

Thank you, Dancerella. I'm getting excited now. I'm going to the library today to do some research and I'll be near the Ikea. I think I'm going to have to try them out. I hope I like the one that is on sale and not some other full price set!

JTsMom
01-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Wow, thanks for posting this! That is the exact mattress we were planning to buy for DS! I'm wondering though- I thought you didn't use the box springs with most Ikea beds b/c of their slatted base? We're thinking about a couple different ones- the Hemnes, Aspelund or Leksvik.

Also, if we do need the whole set, I'd love to get this sale price, BUT, we're moving in a couple of weeks, and I had planned to wait until then. Will they hold stuff if we pay for it now?

Piglet
01-27-2009, 09:50 AM
WTF??? I just looked at the ad for the mattress and in tiny letters it says that is it not valid at IKEA Houston!? I am very glad I bothered reading the fine print. Oh well...

doberbrat
01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
bummer I wonder why Houston is excluded?

ftr, I dont have the slatted base or a box- I have a platform bed w/drawers underneath it so I just put the mattress on that directly.

Best thing about my mattress is when one of us moves, the mattress doesnt move. so dh's tossing & turning doesnt wake me. My sneaking out of bed doesnt wake dd and my doberman pretending to be a kangaroo in the am doesnt wake any of us! ;)

in fairness, dh doesnt like the mattress, he thinks its too hard. and, the sizing is a tad off. doesnt fit my bed perfectly but Who cares? I love it!

thanksf or the heads up on the sale- dd will be ready for a big girl bed in the spring, might get it now.

schums
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
. . . and, the sizing is a tad off. doesnt fit my bed perfectly but Who cares? I love it!

How off is the sizing? Do normal sheets fit it, or are you stuck using IKEA sheets only? We're thinking about getting the sale set for our guest room, but I really don't want to have to buy new sheets, etc.

3blackcats
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Keep your receipt for your warranty. We bought our mattress three years ago and one side of it has completely caved in. Of course I don't have ours because we bought it three years ago and I'm not really that organized of a person. So now we have to haul the mattress back to Ikea so they can verify that the damage is legit (it is, we didn't do anything to it). which means we have to rent a pickup truck, and fight it down there. And I'm 30 weeks pregnant. Ugh.

But other then that, it's been a good mattress. I just hope we get a new one while this is under warranty.

FYI - not all mattresses have a warranty. They have about 5 that are excluded from the warranty policy.

blastomom
01-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Get there EARLY on Saturday!

JTsMom
01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Do you guys think we can use this offer with the sale?

http://info.ikea-usa.com/offers/

Basically, you'd get a gift card based on the amnt you spend.

JTsMom
01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Well- I called and spoke with someone who said that you CAN get the g.c., as long as the mattress is a pillowtop, which she said that one is, BUT, isn't the pillow top thing seperate? I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about.

schums
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Nope, the $399 sale mattress is specifically excluded in the fine print. Too bad, cause that would be an awesome deal!

"The IKEA gift card offer is not valid with the "Seize the Day" offer shown on the back cover" (which is the cheap mattress)

http://ikeaus.ecweb.is/09/fsitcb2usg/

JTsMom
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Aww man! Oh well. Good catch- I didn't see anything on the home page about it. I knew that lady on the phone was kinda nutty! LOL

doberbrat
01-27-2009, 03:31 PM
How off is the sizing? Do normal sheets fit it, or are you stuck using IKEA sheets only? We're thinking about getting the sale set for our guest room, but I really don't want to have to buy new sheets, etc.

the sheets fit fine. there was a gap where it was too narrow on 1 side and too long/wide on the other.

hard to explain. it was only obvious b/c of the kind of bed I have where you stick the mattress into the box onto the platform so to speak.

JTsMom
01-31-2009, 03:25 PM
So how was everyone's luck today? I managed to score the set, but I got one of the very last ones! I got there a few minutes before they opened, and it was already a mob scene. Then I had to stand in the line for home delivery, which took over an hour. Totally exhausting, but worth it. :bighand:Thank you so much for posting this, and for the get there early warning! I never thought it would be as crowded as it was.

kijip
01-31-2009, 11:11 PM
bummer I wonder why Houston is excluded?

Some ikeas are franchises so if the owner declines to participate, then it's an excluded location. Seattle is a franchise and prices are often different here.