PDA

View Full Version : What kind of math in Kindergarten?

KrisM
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
DS1 likes math. He likes to do math. I want to encourage it, of course, but I know the schools are pretty specific with how they learn math and I don't want to cause problems down the road. What math do they do in kindergarten or first grade?

Right now, he can add and subtract double digit numbers in his head. We haven't worked on writing out math problems yet. But, he can do 22 + 11 + 8, for example. He can only easily do 2 numbers for subraction, such as 54 - 9.

I'm not sure what we should do next for him wanting to learn more math. Suggestions?

egoldber
01-27-2009, 10:34 AM
If he can do double digit addition with carrying and double digit subtraction with borrowing, that's second grade level math.

Does your district have a website with their curriculum for each grade level?

o_mom
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Sounds like he has addition and subtraction covered. I might try to expand into different topics -looking at our K curriculm standards, here are some that would be easy to do at home:

Greater than, less than, equal to
Sets - grouping by different properties, overlapping sets, etc.
Patterns - where you have to complete a series.
Measurement and time also fall under "math"
Counting and changing money

First Grade:
Counting by 2, 3, 5, 10
Place values - how many 10's, how many 1's
Dividing shapes in to parts and describing a subset of those
Even/Odd numbers
Writing simple number sentences based on a word problem
Extending number patterns

egoldber
01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Ah yes, time and money are actually the two areas where Sarah has "struggled" with "math". I guess I never thought about it, but we have all digital clocks and use credit cards so she didn't have a lot of practice with either one LOL!!!

brittone2
01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
nak-
try googling Noble Knights of Knowledge. Interesting board game that I've read about and considered for DS.

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
My ds just did a lot of simple addition, working with manipulatives and playing games (usually board games). They spent probably even more time though learning about patterns vs practicing addition.

Beth

KrisM
01-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks. Our district's website is lacking for a lot of things, this included.

I don't know that he's doing carrying with addition or borrowing with subtraction, as I don't really know how he gets the answer, he just does. He thinks for a minute and tells me the answer.

He can mostly tell time. He can do hours, half hours, and quarter hours, but is still working on the 5, 10, etc part of it.

Money is a good one. He likes it, but has no clue!

He is good with patterns, and I think he'd really enjoy working with those and harder patterns. I like that idea.

He can count by 10s and is working on 2 and 5s. A lot of the 1st grade stuff o_mom said is good for him, I think. I'll try to work some of it in as games and see how he likes it.

I'm happy he likes math. I am very good at math myself and was worried I would have kids who struggled with it because I worry about being able to help them when it is so easy to me. One down and 2 to go!

brittone2
01-27-2009, 08:43 PM
DS1 likes math. He likes to do math. I want to encourage it, of course, but I know the schools are pretty specific with how they learn math and I don't want to cause problems down the road. What math do they do in kindergarten or first grade?

Right now, he can add and subtract double digit numbers in his head. We haven't worked on writing out math problems yet. But, he can do 22 + 11 + 8, for example. He can only easily do 2 numbers for subraction, such as 54 - 9.

I'm not sure what we should do next for him wanting to learn more math. Suggestions?

There are also some great books like Family Math Night, etc. that you might want to look into. I just got some books out of DH's university library on making your own math games, etc. (which is also in Family Math Night) and haven't gotten to look through all of them, but another good one so far is:
Teaching Primary Maths (Ruth Merttens)

There's also a book series...I think it is geared toward 3rd grade and up, so it might be worth looking into for the future (which probably isn't far away if he's doing that type of math already). In any case, I know one book in the series is Sir Cumference (there are others too)

I'd also play with manipulatives, grouping, Cuisinaire rods, etc.

lisams
01-27-2009, 09:06 PM
How about collecting data and making graphs/charts? That could be really fun! Would he enjoy working on a geoboard to create different shapes? You could discuss the sides (equal in length, parallel, etc,) and angles.

Sounds like he's a mathematical kind of kid. That's awesome that he loves it so much!

kransden
01-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Some boys are like that -good for him! Get the math workbooks from the dollar store and let him have fun. Beth is correct, what your ds is doing is 2nd grade math. His teacher should be able to give him more challenging stuff.

MamaKath
01-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Math is much more than addition and subtraction. In our school that would be 1st grade math level (private school). Here are many other things that we cover in K that lots of parents don't think of as math, but are also important components to developing mathematical skills.

Greater than, less than, equal to
Sets - grouping by different properties, overlapping sets, grouping by multiple components
Patterns - where you have to complete a series (ab; abb; aab; abc patterns etc)
Measurement of objects (inches, centimeters, millimeters, etc)
Identifying, counting (and changing- this is covered in 1st much more) money
Counting by 2, 3, 5, 10
Place values - how many 10's, how many 1's
Dividing shapes in to parts and describing a subset of those
Even/Odd numbers
Time- Telling time on an analog clock
Graphing- Organizing information visually into bar and column graphs
Simple fractions (equal parts, 1/2, 1/4 etc)
Calendar- Week, months, years, etc

If he loves doing math, try some math games also like Math War (adding or subtracting two cards, higher value wins round) and Nim (21 pieces, you take 1, 2 or 3 each round, last one taking a piece loses, there is a mathematical trick to it and a few versions around). You can also teach him easily to use an abacus.

KrisM
01-27-2009, 10:37 PM
How about collecting data and making graphs/charts? That could be really fun! Would he enjoy working on a geoboard to create different shapes? You could discuss the sides (equal in length, parallel, etc,) and angles.

Sounds like he's a mathematical kind of kid. That's awesome that he loves it so much!

I think he'd love collecting data. Great idea!

I am just not good at thinking of ideas like that. I love this place!

KrisM
01-27-2009, 10:41 PM
There are also some great books like Family Math Night, etc. that you might want to look into. I just got some books out of DH's university library on making your own math games, etc. (which is also in Family Math Night) and haven't gotten to look through all of them, but another good one so far is:
Teaching Primary Maths (Ruth Merttens)

There's also a book series...I think it is geared toward 3rd grade and up, so it might be worth looking into for the future (which probably isn't far away if he's doing that type of math already). In any case, I know one book in the series is Sir Cumference (there are others too)

I'd also play with manipulatives, grouping, Cuisinaire rods, etc.

Thanks for the book ideas. I'll look into those. Most of our math is done in the car. It's easy to give him problems to do and he enjoys it. I wish DD still napped so we could do more hands-on games, etc. But, I'll have to figure out how to get those in, too.

He's from a long line of engineers, so the math is in him. I have 3 engineering degrees, DH has 2, my dad and DH's dad are engineers, my grandpa was an engineer. DH's sister is a PhD from MIT in engineering, etc. I'm really trying not to assume my kids will be engineers, but who knows!

brittone2
02-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Bumping this up as I'm going through my stash from DH's university library.

I picked up a few books in this one series that I thought some of the parents here looking for math resources here might find interesting.

They are from the Cuisinaire Company of America, and they are called

the Super Source.

They have ones subtitled:
Snap Cubes
Geoboards
Tangrams
Pattern Blocks
Cuisinaire Rods

Lots of interesting ideas and great inspiration.

The ones I have currently are geared for k-2, but they have ones for older grades as well

eta: the books I have in hand are copyrighted 1996. I assume they are still available but haven't verified.

MamaKath
02-01-2009, 03:13 PM
http://www.mathusee.com/

Great materials (like a mix between Cuisinaire rods and Unifix cubes) and also some online drills. For the online drills look on the left hand side where it says online drills and then click on the one you want.