PDA

View Full Version : shampoo/bubble bath

calv
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
talk to me. yes i know i can look @ the skin deep database but I want to know/hear what you use. I want to hear about the good paraben/chemical free stuff.

I know about california baby and I really want to buy the gallon jug of shampoo and another of bath bubbles but DH would freak if I spent over $200 of the stuff, LOL

Let's chat

brittone2
01-27-2009, 02:01 PM
We use CA Baby. I find one container (the regular sized one) lasts a long time...it is super concentrated. When I only had one child, it really lasted a long time. With two, it still takes a long time to use up (but I'm one of those people who bathes children like 2x a week...maybe a little less, maybe a little more depending on how crusty they are ;) ).

With DS, I never found CA baby to be an issue w/ his hair. With DD, as her hair has gotten longer (she's now over two) I switched to using my Giovanni 50/50 shampoo and conditioner on her (w/ much improvement in her hair). The Giovanni isn't specifically marketed to kids, but gets good reviews for ingredients on the EWG site. You just would need to watch their eyes, obviously.

We don't really do bubble baths often, but I usually have a pack or two of the Aura Cacia kids foaming bath stuff (a powder you put under the water as it runs, agitate w/ your hands and it will get a little bubbly). It runs about $2-3 locally. I buy through Frontier when I order through our buying club and it is cheaper. In any case, I can easily make 1 packet last 3 baths or so. I use the orange, and I keep a packet of Eucalyptus around for when they are sick. Whole Foods used to carry the single packs...they probably still do, if you want to try it out. I've actually never tried the CA Baby bubble bath, but the Aura Cacia works for the 1-2 bubble baths a month my kids probably take. It isn't *super* bubbly but they don't really complain.

AnnieW625
01-27-2009, 02:38 PM
For shampoo we use basic Johnson & Johnson's No More Tangles, and their cream rinse (it comes in an orange tube; can't remember the exact name though!), but for baby wash we use CA Baby. For an occaisional bubble bath we use Avon's Sensitive Bubble bath with no issues.

neeleymartin
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
we use ca baby too. if you share the chemical info with your dh, i can't imagine him wanting to use the other stuff. my dh felt the same way until he studied up on the chemicals in most products. pretty scary that these things are allowed in products, esp. for our most delicate beings.

we also use just a touch and it goes a long way. good luck in your search.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Little Twig or Nature's Baby (similar to CB) from luckyvitamin.com or vitacost.com Those seem to be the cheapest site, and LV wraps the stuff so it doesn't leak. Living at 7,000 ft, I appreciate that!

MamaMolly
01-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I also can't take the $$$ of CA Baby. We use the Burt's Bees shampoo on DD. The EWG site gives the 'baby' scent a high (bad) rating because the scent is just listed as 'fragrance' and who knows what that is. Anyway, I also like the Burt's Bees pomegranate shampoo, which gets a good (low) rating on EWG IIRC. I'll use a squirt in the tub for bubbles. Not marketed to just kiddos, so you have to be careful about getting it in their eyes.

I've also tried Aubrey organics but IIRC they have almond oil in it, so it is a no-go for DD. I liked the Method brand, but I can't remember if they are just SLS/SLES free or also paraben free.

So much to think about!

gatorsmom
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
We go through one of those CA baby bottles in about 6 months on 3 kids (SiSi doesnt' get soap because of her eczema). That's not too bad, imo. I'll put alittle in the water for bubble baths, although recently I realized that DH was giving them bubble baths with Johnson and Johnson. I'm not sure where he found a bottle of that, but now that that bottle is empty, we won't buying anymore. Espcially considering Cha Cha has a history of eczema too.

IDcam
01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
We use CA Baby Tea Tree & Lavender Wash and Diaper Cream. I just didn't tell DH how much it was until after we used it and he liked the scent and results. DH's sister (known to be picky about products) told him that she also used CA Baby for her kids so he knows I did my homework. =)

I noticed beginning this year Target is carrying more CA Baby products and all at $9.99/ea (better than BRU which is also starting to carry them at the stores). Just buy the regular size bottle and if you like it then spring for the half gallon/gallon size later.

I also cringe at the prices of their half gallon/gallon sizes. However, I do really like their products and feel better knowing they are safe for DD.

jgenie
01-27-2009, 09:54 PM
a foaming bottle with the CA Baby products to make them last longer? I'm good about watching the amount I use when I bathe DS, but DH uses it like it's water even though it's concentrated.

brittone2
01-27-2009, 10:22 PM
a foaming bottle with the CA Baby products to make them last longer? I'm good about watching the amount I use when I bathe DS, but DH uses it like it's water even though it's concentrated.

We have the Doc Bronner's baby soap (castile) in the big bottle and I use that with our foaming soap dispensers (diluted w/ distilled water) for hand washing, etc. I'm sure I could actually use it that way on my kids. I think we have before in a pinch.

Dr. Bronners is super concentrated, but I kind of think CA baby is pretty concentrated too.