PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Capsule Questions

mom2one
01-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi. My DS got several sets of sponge capsules for Christmas. We have been putting a couple in the tub every nite and watching them turn into different cars, bugs, etc.

My DH was very upset to see him using them in the tub for two reasons. 1) he did not like the fact that the capsule part was coming off in the water that he was playing in 2) he said that sponges attract all sorts of bacteria, etc.

What are your thoughts on using these in the tub?

o_mom
01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
We like them. :)

I don't keep the sponges around past one bath, though, so no worries on the bacteria growing.

The capsule, AFAIK, is gelatin based.

MamaMolly
01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
I think the capsules are gelatin, just like the ones medicine comes in and are harmless. Like putting a pinch of unflavored jello in his bath. As for the sponges, if you let them sit around in yucky water or you don't allow them to dry completely then bacteria will grow in them, but I can't imagine it happens instantly. No different than say a washcloth that you might use to wash DS. If it stays soggy it will get nasty.

We don't have any but I wouldn't have a problem with DD playing with them in the tub. (And I may have to pick some up next time we are out, they sound like fun! :) ) Just be sure to allow the sponges to dry completely. If they start to smell sour they need to hit the trash.

fortato
01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
The capsule is just gelatin, and totally harmless. As far as the sponges go, after one bath you could put them aside and use them for sponge stampers for painting.

deannanb
01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I would rinse the sponges and use them a few times before tossing!