PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stayed @ POR?

Mermanaid
01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
We're headed to DW in early Dec 2009, so I'm in the process of trying to start making reservations. I've ordered the guides and am awaiting their arrival from Amazon. In the meantime, thought I'd ask if anyone here at stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside? If so, can you tell me how long the bus trips were to the parks? With a 5yo and a 2yo at the time of travel I think we'll be spending the most time in Magic Kingdom so that's the route I'm specifically interested in. Thanks for your help!

Momof3Labs
01-28-2009, 01:12 AM
As always, it depends on how long you wait for a bus. At POR, it also depends on which stop you get on the bus (a later stop means a shorter bus ride, but it can also mean a full bus, thus waiting for another bus). According to the UOG, it's typically 30-40 minutes between POR and MK using Disney transportation. It's faster if you stay at a monorail resort, and a few minutes faster from the Dolphin, but pretty much the same or a few minutes slower from all of the other resorts (per the UOG chart). Driving to MK isn't faster since you park remotely and use a tram to get to the boat or monorail to take you to MK.

Mermanaid
01-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Lori. I was contemplating the Contemporary but really didn't want to spend that much. I think the travel time just may be worth the extra cost. Besides, I'm saving about $120 on stroller rental (via Orlando Stroller Rentals vs. the park) so that can be applied to the offset the extra costs of the Contemporary. I was sooo hoping for a 40% off code ... maybe it will come eventually!

infomama
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
We stayed at POR last fall and it was hit or miss when it came to the buses. I can't imagine any moderate resort has flawless/fast transport so just pick the resort that fits your family the best. Next time we may stay on the monorail but we have three years to save for that trip ;)
The nice thing about POR was the option to take the boat to downtown Disney for shopping and whatnot. (Wolfgang Pucks is there and it is SO good--on the dining plan, too).

kimbe
01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
We've stayed at POR and it was nice, but I wasn't too impressed at all. It seemed pretty much average for me. If you want a moderate, you might consider CSR. Many people don't like it because it is a conference place, but we loved it and so did DD. Awesome pool, awesome playground, awesome sand box. We were very impressed and we are going to stay there again. If you do your homework and request the right building, the size of the resort isn't an issue.

We've also stayed that the Contemporary as a splurge. It was very convient but we are heading back to the moderates for our next trip.

If you haven't been emailed a code, call WDW every now and then to see if one is with your name....it happens!

HTH!

AnnieW625
01-29-2009, 07:47 PM
We've never been to Disney, but I haven't heard many good things about POR. When we go (hopefully in a few years) we'll be splurging on the Wilderness Lodge. We don't go too many places so I truly believe that spending more for a once in a lifetime trip than going somewhere every year. I guess it's just where your priorities are!

egoldber
01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I stayed at POR years ago when it was called Dixie Landings. :) I think it's a beautiful resort, but very spread out. If you don't get a good building location it can be a long walk to the main building. A friend stayed there recently and loved it. I have stayed at POFQ (the sister resort, you can easily walk between them) a couple times and I prefer it because it is much smaller and more compact.

I have also stayed at CSR once, and it was fine, but we did NOT get our building request and ended up with a very, very long walk to the main building and as a result, seldom went there. CBR (the 4th moderate) is similar to CSR and POR in being very spread out.

Mermanaid
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
If you don't get a good building location it can be a long walk to the main building.

Thank you for that info! We stayed at CSR on our honeymoon 10 years ago. It was okay, but I felt it was way too spread out for my tastes. That cements the deal. I've been getting quotes for the Contemporary because I really want to be on the monorail.