PDA

View Full Version : ISO Tape Recorder

hbridge
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Folks,

You are all so knowing and wise, please help me find a recording device to use with DC.

DH is working crazy hours and doesn't see DC much these days since DC is sleeping when DH is home. This looks like it will continue semi-regularly for awhile.

Since DC is constantly wanting to call DH at work and that's not always feasible I'm looking for a recording device where they can leave messages for each other. I don't want to spend too much, but need something that is easy to use, yet practical. I'm thinking of something like the old school tape recorders, but am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks so much!

fauve01
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
not sure if this is what you are looking for but...

before dd was born, I was in paralegal school and had a small handheld tape recorder that i used to record the lectures. i picked it up at an office supply store or Best Buy (sorry i can't remember). i had the kind with tiny tapes, but i know they make some that are digital.

Looks like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=HYQS1GV2IJ2Z3KC4D3HFAFI?_dy ncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=tape+recorder&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

http://www.bizrate.com/portabletape_digitalrecorders/

When my DH was travelling a LOT i toyed with the idea of pulling mine out to get DH to record some bedtime stories. we never ended up doing it though.

You could also use your camcorder if you have one. then there would be a picture to go with the voice!

HTH!
Anne + DD 10-03

caleymama
01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Do you have an answering machine? Ours has the option to record voice memos, which would work for short messages. My cell phone also has a "voice notes recorder" on it (it's a Blackberry Curve). Anything like that on yours? I can also record and send videos with it, which might also be useful for you.

Otherwise I think a handheld tape recorder of some sort would be your best bet, like Anne suggested.

hbridge
01-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Thank you for your responses. I'm actually hoping to find something that my 5 year old can operate without too much help from me so DC can leave messages for Daddy when in the mood. This essentially eliminates my cell phone, the answering machine and the camcorder. I was originally thinking tapes, but am now wondering if a digital voice recorder would be better. Especially if we can download the recordings to the computer and send them to Daddy and Grandparents when they travel.

Does anyone have any experience with any of this? I may be looking for something that doesn't exist...

Thanks so much.

MamaKath
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Check at yard sales for tape recorders. Mine from school was recently broken and when we looked to replace it, they run about $50 in the catalogs for school supplies. We had a hard time finding them in many. My dad fixed mine, but said right away "Oh I see them all the time at yard sales for around $5."

Do you have a camera on your computer? We use Skype alot with the grandparents, but I know we can also make a recording right onto the computer of our faces/voices.

caleymama
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Thank you for your responses. I'm actually hoping to find something that my 5 year old can operate without too much help from me so DC can leave messages for Daddy when in the mood.

Gotcha! I didn't realize it was for a 5yo. Definitely would be nice if they could do it (semi-)independently. I was trying to think of something you already had would serve the intended purpose, but no way am I letting my relatively tech savvy 4yo or 6yo free reign with my Blackberry or answering machine, LOL.

I just did a very quick search and it looks like there are digital voice recorders that connect to a computer via USB for emailing, etc. With a little more digging you could probably figure out how easy it is to use, and you would know what your DC is capable of.
Here's one at Amazon: Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-4100PC-Digital-Voice-Recorder/dp/B000OVPB9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1233168515&sr=1-1)

Good luck! It's a really sweet idea for both DC and your DH.

Ceepa
01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I was looking for one last year and never found one that I liked. I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

Piglet
01-28-2009, 11:59 PM
We have an old Fisher Price tape recorder/tape player that we bought at a consignment store. It was around when I was younger too. I am not sure if it still available, but I could send you mine if you want. We never use cassettes anymore!

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Tuff-Stuff-Recorder/dp/B00004SYNP/ref=/ref=cm_cd_f_sims_i

Holy crow!! I just found it on Amazon for a fortune! PM me if you are interested. I'll send it for the cost of shipping ;)

Here it is on eBay - much more reasonable:

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=cassette&_sacat=50306&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=50306