PDA

View Full Version : How many day's would u give Pedialyte

TraciG
01-28-2009, 12:11 AM
My DS has had diarrhea since Saturday. At first he didn't feel good but now he is acting normal, just not eating normal yet but still has diarrhea, I am going back & forth , maybe a formula bottle or 2 a day then the Pedialyte mixed with white grape juice .I thought he was getting better because he ate a little today but then again he had another mess, seem's it will never end.

Had to pick up DD from school she had 2 accident's today, she is 5. She thought it was gas & she had diarrhea too, thank God not to much. If she has this virus as long as him I wont be happy, to many missed school day's ! I'm going to see with her what happen's with breakfast.

Any suggestions

called doc already but he said to feed DS regular again, I forgot to ask about the Pedialyte. Anyone here of Florastor ? He said I could try that for DS twice a day, it something you put in their bottle.

Nyfeara
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
DS had a GI bug that had him vomiting for a week. During that time, Pedialyte was all he was able to keep down. He was hungry b/c the Pedialyte didn't do anything to help his appetite, but he did stay hydrated. Once he was over the bug, he went on an eating binge & regained any weight he lost within the next 1-2 weeks. HTH.

egoldber
01-28-2009, 08:44 AM
I would just give him formula.

o_mom
01-28-2009, 09:04 AM
A couple things to keep in mind... If he is not eating much solid, he is not going to have very solid poop. I would try switching back to just formula as too much juice can cause diarrhea anyway. The Florstar is probably a probiotic which can help replace any of the gut flora he lost with the virus - like eating yogurt but more concentrated.

vludmilla
01-28-2009, 09:04 AM
I would not give Pedialyte. It can, in some situations, make diarrhea worse. My ped was adamant about never using pedialyte. I believe she said she wouldn't give it to her dog. Now, I'm not saying that pedialyte has harmed or will harm your dc, but it's not necessary. If dc will drink water and formula, you don't need the pedialyte and I'd avoid it.

maestramommy
01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I'd stay away from the juice actually. It can make the diarrhea worse.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I didn't do Pedialyte at all (mainly because he hated it) when ds had a tummy bug recently because he was nursing well and drinking regular fluids with no trouble.

I agree, the juice could be the culprit too. I thought Pedialyte was a stand alone drink that didn't need to be mixed with anything else? There are probably different versions. I really haven't used it much at all.

I would stop the Pedialyte. It doesn't sound necessary. And skip the juice too. That's never necessary, imo.

Beth

elephantmeg
01-28-2009, 09:23 AM
usually 3-4 days is the longest you want to be on pedialyte before it starts causing problems (more loose stools). Get probiotics and put him back on his formula!

pastrygirl
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Someone once recommended a diarrhea version of formula. I can't remember what it was called -- does anyone know? It worked great for my son (he was 2 years old at the time).

I found it! It's Isomil DF Formula. I found it at Walgreen's. ETA: My son hadn't had formula since the day he was born, but he still drank this stuff and even asked for more. :) It's not just for formula-fed babies.

Tondi G
01-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I would just give him his regular formula. Get some probiotics (acidolpholus and bifidus) and quit the juice for sure!

If he will eat solids stick with bland and binding... bananas, rice, applesauce, toast... noodles, crackers etc are good too.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon! GI bugs are the worst!

TraciG
01-28-2009, 12:58 PM
ok no more Pedialyte or juice .The doc recommended it to mix if he didn't like the Pedialyte so we automatically bought the plain flavor & juice. Meanwhile I wanted to try To avoid juice as long as possible with him !! He is starting to get his appetite back, not fully , we'll see he just had Yobaby .

My DD was fine today, she's at school , YEAH !

vejemom
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
My pediatricians' office advises buying the unflavored Pedialyte and mixing it with a little bit of sugar-free Koolaid. The sugar found in regular drink mixes or juice will throw the electrolyte balance off.

I did use the flavored kind recently for DD#2 when she was constipated. Normally, I would use prune juice or dark corn syrup. I was out of both and it was a snow day, so I didn't want to trek out with the girls. She drank an ounce of it without complaint. I was curious, so I tried a sip. YUCK!!!! Totally vile tasting - I can't believe that she didn't object to it!