PDA

View Full Version : What to buy a 2 year old

Zoey187
01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
My nephew will be turning to next month and I was wondering what is a good gift to get him. I had a hard time at Christmas shopping for a two year old and the challenge is still there for his birthday. It seems whem looking at things the age group on them is either up to 18 months with some going to 36 months, but what two year old wants a gift that is age range 12 to 36 months (unless I am missing some great toys that way). Then the age range starts again at 3 years.

So my question is: What do you buy for a two year old boy?

vonfirmath
01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Ask his mom what he is interested in.

For MY 18month old, right now, I'd have asked for a table and chair, wood puzzles, other "mind stretching" type of toys.

We're planning, for his 2 yr birthday, to get him a bike carrier so he can go out bike riding with his dad, maybe a balance bike of his own, a small roll-behind carry on luggage. Some kind of game we can play with him: Candyland, dominoes, Go Away Monster, The Adventures of harley. And we'll see what else as we get closer.

But the best bet would be to talk to the parents and see what they are wanting to focus on with him.

PS and the ages on some toys (not all) do not make sense.

One of the favorite toys from CHristmas for my son was a Tonka TOughest Mighty Truck, with a "age" of 3 yrs old. But its fine for him now.

Amazon also has user-created lists that might be helpful, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss__1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=toys+for+2+year+old+boys&sprefix=toys+for+2+year&sprefix=toys+for+2+year

Momof3Labs
01-28-2009, 02:21 PM
What is your budget? At 2yo, both of my boys loved puzzles - by then, they were into floor puzzles more than peg puzzles. Books are always a winner. At that age, many kids are starting to move beyond board books and it is a good time for new additions to their library.

citymama
01-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Our faves to get and give for 2nd birthdays:
--CDs ("Here come the 123s" by They Might be Giants, "Buzz Buzz" by Laurie Berkner are 2 faves)
--musical instruments - Plan Toys wooden drum is perfect for that age. Many other options in the 12-18 month range.
--Books! "Make Way for Ducklings" by Robert McCloskey is a favorite 2 yr old gift, Dr. Seuss, "Where the Wild Things Are."
--Others: nice tableware, puzzles, play food (for eg Melissa and Doug cutting food set - people give play food to girls, but rarely boys, and all the boys who visit our place seem to gravitate straight for my DD's play kitchen and food!)

I think 2 is still young for board games - my almost 3 yr old is just beginning to get the concept (and not put the pieces in her mouth). So I think early board games are perfect 3 yr old gifts but not 2!

brittone2
01-28-2009, 03:32 PM
DD is newly 2. SHe likes:
Playsilks
music (can't go wrong with CDs IMO. They Might Be Giants, Justin Roberts-he has a website where you can listen for free to get an idea of what his stuff sounds like, Peter Hilleman, Laurie Berkner, Raffi, etc.)
Starting to get into figures (likes her Big Brother's playmobil, but I'd recommend Playmobil 123 for that age. She and big brother play farm together with animals, barn, tractor, etc. She's more into it than he was at this age).
Both kids got into trains and playkitchen around that age
books-especially stuff like the Priddy picture books at this age
Puzzles
Musical instruments (how about something like a Remo drum? Tambourine?)
Vehicle toys
Balls (O ball, Gertie Ball)
Art stuff (Do a Dot markers or knockoffs are fun. Playdoh.)
dolls and doll stroller

When DS was 2-3, the train table and play kitchen took up most of his play time.

Definitely ask mom what he's into

hannah
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
DS just turned two. Here are some things he got for his birthday just to give you an idea:
matchbox cars
thomas trains
mega truck book
vacuum
cozy coupe car
work bench
aqua doodle floor mat (huge hit!)
plan toys airport
remote control garbage truck (another huge hit)

sariana
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
A couple of things to keep in mind regarding age ranges on toys:

1) Sometimes they refer to developmental stages. Any particular child may or may not fall into the range on the box. My 4 1/2-year-old DS still likes to play with his baby toys, which are now in 1-year-old DD's room.

2) "Ages 3 and up" often means simply that the toy has not been safety tested for children under age 3. If your nephew does not routinely put toys in his mouth, a toy labeled "3+" might work just fine for him.

I agree with the PPs, and have a few comments to add.

-If your budget allows, a sand/water table might be nice. Of course, this depends on the climate and the family's space issues.

-We always appreciate things that add on to what DS already has. This Christmas my dad gave him extra bridges and connector pieces for his wooden train set. New sets of Legos would also be nice because they can just be added into the bins he already has. A themed set is not necessary; just a basic building set is great. And Legos build on each other as the child gets older. DS has (and uses) both Duplo and Lego sets now. His Quattro block got passed down to his sister, but he still likes to play with those sometimes, too.

One final comment: I think most two year olds would LOVE a toy labeled 12-36 months. Unless he's a veritable genius, he can't read what it says on the box!

hollybloom24
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
At this age I like to give gifts with the child's name personalized on it - like the tote bags from LL Bean. Kids love things with their names on them, and it will last a long time! I typically buy the medium sized version with the long handles. I think it ends up costing $26 before shipping (they often have free shipping codes - check retailmenot.com). If you want to spend more, you can always put a second gift in the bag and tie the handles up with a ribbon.

Pottery Barn Kids sells monogrammed things too - I like their beach towels (they may not be selling them yet.) A friend gave my kids these for their 2nd birthday and they love them because they have their names on them!

Also, Magnatiles are a great gift.

ohiomom1121
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Not sure what your budget is but the Sprig Discover Rig is very cool. Also, I've given tricycles as a present for 2 year olds that were big hits. (my favorite is the schwinn roadster). Also, for my son's 2nd birthday he got some Automoblox (they do have little people in them, but never had a problem with him trying to put them in his mouth), a plasma car and a ton of Thomas the Train trains. They were definitely the biggest hit of his party.

Asianmommy
01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
How about Duplos? Or the Little People plane or garage?