PDA

View Full Version : heartburn help

LarsMal
01-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Ugh...yet another thing that is new and different this time around! I didn't have heartburn at all with DS, maybe a couple times with DD, but it's becoming a regular thing with this one.

Foods I thought would be fine are causing major problems- cereal?!? (is it the dairy?)

Any foods to eat or avoid eating that will help (or at least not hurt so bad)? I think I might actually breathe fire one of these days!

TIA!

KpbS
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry you are having trouble with heartburn :( You may already know these but I thought I would throw out some common offenders
chocolate
spicy foods
acidic foods (tomato sauce, oj)
high fat foods including dairy and fried foods
coffee, alcohol
large meals in general

Hope things get better soon--I know my got better sometime in my second trimester--hormonally related I think.

MamaMolly
01-28-2009, 04:52 PM
FWIW I was on Zantac when expecting DD. I had crippling heartburn that was caused by the sun I guess because I got it every morning, no matter what I ate or didn't eat. Actually, while it started out in the a.m. it also really flared up if I went too long between meals.

My first and worst triggers were coffee and tomatoes. It also helped if I ate small meals, like tiny, and if I ate first thing after getting up. Something really mild like a bit of bread or some crackers. So I'd suggest grazing rather than 3 squares.

Good luck!

salsah
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
i had 9 months of heartburn with both pregnancies and i found that drinking some milk (1%) helped. it had to be plain and cold. i'm not sure if that will help you since cereal gave you heartburn but it doesn't hurt to try. maybe it will work if you drink the milk alone. i did not drink the milk with the food. i drank after eating / as soon as i started to feel the heartburn.
hth

AmyZ
01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Another vote for Zantac. I suffered during my first 2 pregnancies, thinking that there was nothing I could take. For the 3rd baby, I mentioned it to my OB since heartburn was SO BAD, and she told me I could take Zantac 75. I didn't take it everyday, but when heartburn was really bad, I did take it and it was like heaven.

boogiemom
01-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I was on acid reflux meds for years and it was always the absolute worst when I was pregnant! UGH! This is going to sound crazy but I swear it works. Every night, an hour or so before bed, I take 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Yes, it tastes awful so I chase it with water immediately. However, I do not have any problems with acid anymore. Try it, but definitely have your water ready. Good Luck!

KrisM
01-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I was on acid reflux meds for years and it was always the absolute worst when I was pregnant! UGH! This is going to sound crazy but I swear it works. Every night, an hour or so before bed, I take 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Yes, it tastes awful so I chase it with water immediately. However, I do not have any problems with acid anymore. Try it, but definitely have your water ready. Good Luck!

Yes, the apple cider vinegar! I think I drank about 1 tablesppon, but I don't remember. I read about it hear and it really did work. I mixed it with water and it wasn't horrible, but it sure beat the heartburn!