PDA

View Full Version : Criminal probe in PB recall

anamika
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Apparently they knew the PB was contaminated but shipped it anyway.:32:
Nothing much has the power to shock me anymore sadly.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iH_omeaDBaB1UKxFZ4QGmvPKuuQQD960AUM00

I feel like I should go back to the old days and make our own clothes, food, toys etc.
Beth, do you have space in your bubble for 3 more people?

kayte
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I am shocked but in a way I am almost not surprised by this type of story anymore... Which is even more shocking...

When did we become a world that disregarded any consequences before we act???

daisymommy
01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
:shake: Are any of us surprised? Who wants to start a planned community with me? I'll milk the cows, gather the eggs, and do the cooking if someone else wants to do the gardening :)

maestramommy
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow. That's really bad news. I mean, I wasn't surprised to hear about the milk thing in China, but in the states? Very bad.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-28-2009, 04:43 PM
:shake: Are any of us surprised? Who wants to start a planned community with me? I'll milk the cows, gather the eggs, and do the cooking if someone else wants to do the gardening :)

I'm in! Let's start the BBB real Life Community!

Ceepa
01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
When did we become a world that disregarded any consequences before we act???

This is definitely a disturbing trend. People don't seem to think about tomorrow.

codex57
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
http://consumerist.com/5140224/whos-watching-our-nations-honey-imports-pretty-much-no-one

Watch out for honey, too.

brittone2
01-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Apparently they knew the PB was contaminated but shipped it anyway.:32:
Nothing much has the power to shock me anymore sadly.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iH_omeaDBaB1UKxFZ4QGmvPKuuQQD960AUM00

I feel like I should go back to the old days and make our own clothes, food, toys etc.
Beth, do you have space in your bubble for 3 more people?

Come on in :D
:hug:

brittone2
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Rock on :jammin:

Of course, I've been accused of wanting to go back to living in the 1800s or something here recently ;) I wonder why?

caheinz
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
This is why strong government regulations WITH an agency willing AND able to back it up are so important.

If there had been a federal inspector with a backbone in that facility on surprise visits, how long could they have hidden this?

Right now, I don't think any of our food inspection agencies have the money or the manpower to conduct regular surprise (so not too regular!) visits to inspect facilities or processes. And this (and other recent outbreaks) is the price we pay as a result.

anamika
01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Come on in :D
:hug:

Thanks Beth. Yep, and people wonder why I'm paranoid.
I agree with Melinda that I expected this sort of thing to happen in India where corruption is rampant.
But I'm surprised it happens here. I guess if people feel they can "get away with it", they will try.

carolinamama
01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
It is so bad that we are all somewhat not surprised. We need better regulation, plain and simple.

I can't help but think that businesses have gotten so large that they have forgotten about the individual person who is at the receiving end of their negligence. Anything for the almighty dollar. It's our dollar giving tham the profit, however we don't have nearly enough power as an individual or small group. I really don't know exactly what to do about the current situation, but I'm getting sicker and sicker about it.

citymama
01-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Sign me up for the commune. I can be in charge of veggie-growing. ;) Someone else will have to sew the clothes.

This is why strong government regulations WITH an agency willing AND able to back it up are so important.

If there had been a federal inspector with a backbone in that facility on surprise visits, how long could they have hidden this?

Right now, I don't think any of our food inspection agencies have the money or the manpower to conduct regular surprise (so not too regular!) visits to inspect facilities or processes. And this (and other recent outbreaks) is the price we pay as a result.

Yes, absolutely agreed! I hope that there's a consumer group out there that's going to raise hell; sign me up for that too. This is *outrageous.*

Ceepa
01-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I can't help but think that businesses have gotten so large that they have forgotten about the individual person who is at the receiving end of their negligence. Anything for the almighty dollar. It's our dollar giving tham the profit, however we don't have nearly enough power as an individual or small group. I really don't know exactly what to do about the current situation, but I'm getting sicker and sicker about it.

Start with your own dollars. Educate yourself and refuse to give your hard-earned money to those you feel are unreasonable. Start a campaign on a grassroots level and find others who may agree with you. We all have leverage and don't need to blindly condemn "big business" as a faceless entity.

egoldber
01-28-2009, 08:10 PM
We all have leverage and don't need to blindly condemn "big business" as a faceless entity.

That's hard to do when it's a supplier issue though. Is it fair to penalize Clif Bars (or whoever their parent is LOL!) when it was a supplier? You can't really boycott a supplier.

dcmom2b3
01-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Sign me up for the commune. I can be in charge of veggie-growing. ;) Someone else will have to sew the clothes.

Yes, absolutely agreed! I hope that there's a consumer group out there that's going to raise hell; sign me up for that too. This is *outrageous.*

Count me in, I'll sew!!

MamaKath
01-28-2009, 09:18 PM

I am in there!!! So sad that humans are doing this to other humans; so inhumane!

vludmilla
01-28-2009, 09:34 PM

When can I move in? I'm all there. We don't need much but we can work hard. ;)

I am so sickened by the state of our country, our food industry, some big businesses, greed and avarice. Ugh.

ellies mom
01-29-2009, 12:27 AM

I kind of lump this in with the whole "corporation as person" thing. When the corporation is the entity, it removes a lot of the accountability from the people making the decisions (kind of why Trump is still rich even though his companies have declared bankruptcy multiple times). If I killed 8 people, I'd be considered a serial killer and would probably get the death penalty. These people made decisions that literally led to the death of people and it is unlikely that they will be charged with murder. They should consider themselves very lucky they live here rather than China.

shawnandangel
01-29-2009, 01:07 AM
From the article:
"Meanwhile, state lawmakers were drafting a plan to require food makers to report the results of internal inspections to state officials, something the peanut plant in Blakely wasn't required to do. "

So lame. Why weren't they required to report the results? Where's the shake head smiley?

I am so in on your commune.

strollerqueen
01-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Well, I'm shocked. I think it is disgusting and evil and morally reprehensible to ship out a contaminated food product that you know can cause people's death. I hope they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.