PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't my patronage hold any value?

gatorsmom
01-28-2009, 04:57 PM
For the past 5 years, I've taken any of my kids that need a haircut to a children's haircutting place. There are tv monitors at each station with any video you want to distract your child. They charge $15 per haircut but it has been soooo worth it because my boys screamed bloody murder with every haircut until they turned 3.

This place RARELY offers any deals or coupons. So how fair is it, then, when they have a coupon for $2 off the first visit? I go to them every six weeks and I can't use it but someone can come in, use the coupon and then never return. Doesn't my consistent patronage mean anything?

I understand they are trying to attract new business, but would it really be that terrible to let their regular customers use it too?

hrmph. insert pouty lip. It's just not fair.

WatchingThemGrow
01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
That stinks! Good thing your is only $15! Ours is $21 IIRC. Ugh. I'm trying to do it on my own instead.

Can you ask them to do a punch card for a free cut after so many cuts?

gatorsmom
01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
That stinks! Good thing your is only $15! Ours is $21 IIRC. Ugh. I'm trying to do it on my own instead.

Can you ask them to do a punch card for a free cut after so many cuts?

sigh. I did ask them that. And everytime I'm there I ask if they have any promotions happening. Nothing. I'm temped to cut their hair myself but not sure I'm brave enough yet.

WatchingThemGrow
01-28-2009, 05:15 PM
DD's hair (all one length) was easier, but it was a little bit fun to go buy all the supplies, set up a DVD on the laptop, and strap DS in the Stokke chair with his smock on. The scissors are really nice and sharp! I think I'll get the hang of it after a few more tries. That would be just one even with all your boys!

MamaMolly
01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I was going to also mention a punch card or similar program. It really wouldn't cost them much and would go a long way to earn repeat customer good will. What a shame that they won't consider it! Are you talking the the manager or owner? Maybe you need to go higher up on the food chain.

KBecks
01-28-2009, 08:01 PM
The salon we use has a discount or a free or half off or something after every 10 or 12 visits or something.... I don't pay attention to the details but with 2 boys going in for cuts, we get a little break every now and then. Oh, and I did get a little extra stamp or something for a referral too.

I don't know if you want to suggest that kind of thing, but maybe..

ETA: Ours are $18 before tip but I don't go every 6 weeks at all. We go from short to very shaggy and get haircuts maybe 4-5 times / year.

AngelaS
01-28-2009, 08:10 PM
We go to a single mom who has an in home salon. She charges $5 up to age 5 and then they pay their age. :) I didn't realize just how good of a deal that really was! :)

m448
01-28-2009, 11:06 PM
this is exactly why two years ago I bought a wahl haircutting kit with clippers. When I realized that having 3 men go in for what amounts to a super simple haircut every 3 weeks was too much to bear. LOL So I figured I'd have time to learn on the boys before they get picky. I also cut DH's hair (do a darn good job) and got so brave I now cut my own hair. I have curly hair and every cut in a salon no matter how pricey involved touch ups from me when I got home now I get the cut I want all the time. Better yet no having to schedule a cut.

kellyd
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
It stinks that they wouldn't let you use the coupon. It should be a $2 savings for anyone if they're going to run the coupons. Either that, or don't have coupons period...

KrisM
01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
We go to the same type of place for DS1. DH wants to learn to cut his hair, but DS says no so far. They do have a program if I pre-pay for 5 cuts, I get one free. I haven't done that, because it's upfront, but I should.

DS goes every 6 weeks or so. He has super thick hair and it gets bushy.

new_mommy25
01-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd be mad too! $15 plus tip is a lot. I don't see why they couldn't let you use the coupon and I'd be inclined to speak to the owner about it.

We take my DS (age 5) to the local barber shop. It's $12 plus we tip. They have an insert that goes on top of the regular chair and when we're all done DS gets a sucker. He loves it.

lisams
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
It would be nice if they had a program where you get 5 cuts and the 6th is free or something like that. I know some places have that (Supercuts?) but of course the kid places are great for children who are scared of getting their hair cut.

What a bummer!

DietCokeLover
01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I think it would definitely be worth speaking with the owner or someone in a position of authority. I'd just let them know that with the economy the way it is, you might have to seek out a less expensive place or one that offers incentives.