PDA

View Full Version : Help- do I need a new crib mattress?

casey118
01-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm pregnant with my 3rd, and my crib mattress was purchased 7 years ago. I think it was the Colgate 2-in-1 or something like that. I know it was highly rated in the BBB back then, and has a more firm "infant" side.

My question is based on the fact that a screw from the crib caught on the side edges of the mattress, so the cover is ripped along both side seams. I also have some vague recollection about the safety of reusing crib mattresses, but my youngest is 4 so I haven't looked into this stuff for a long time.

So, do I need to buy a new mattress, or can I just get a mattress cover (to cover the rips) and call it good?

If I need a new mattress, any recommendations for good, light, and reasonably priced?

Thanks for your help!

Tondi G
01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I would probably get a new one. If we ever have a 3rd I will get a new mattress... we have the Colgate 2 in 1 mattress as well... it's about 7 years old too... ours ripped on the metal springs on our Pali crib!

I would look into a foam mattress... they are so much lighter than our Colgates!

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I debated this because the cover of my wonderful foam crib mattress ripped when ds1 was little. I opted to reuse it even though my understanding is that they worry bodily fluids can get into the mattress and start to create mold; breathing in the mold isn't great for the baby.

Beth