PDA

View Full Version : HFCS spin off- packaged goods that are still ok

elektra
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I definitely realize that buying all natural, whole, non-processed foods, and organic foods is the best way to go for many reasons. Better to buy in bulk than individual packages, etc.
And I have already started moving in this direction (thanks to this info on this board for the most part). However, I have not yet (and will probably never in all actuality) completely make the shift and I will still continue to consume packaged and processed foods to some degree.
I know that just by shopping at Trader Joe's I can cut out alot of nitrates, preservatives, HFCS and other things I should avoid. But here is my question, does anyone have suggestions on packaged stuff that they still feel is "ok" healthwise but is still convenient?
Kid food as well as adult food?

Ex. I still use the Kraft mac and cheese for DD. The microwave kind. Is Annie's that much better? I know it says the noodles are organic but what is the real difference?
I just threw out our bottle of Heinz and plan on getting organic ketchup next time around.
I actually don't drink much soda but when I do buy it, I get the Hansen's kind with sugar.
But I looked in my fridge, and sure enough, my yoplait yogurt as HFCS.

I was also watching Oprah last night. It was the DVR'd episode from earlier in the day. They were talking about the book, "Eat This, Not That" and I guess that is the type of cheat sheet list I would love to have, with the focus not only on the fat/calories, but overall health, including HFCS.

KrisM
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Here's a post from a few weeks ago with things people buy that are HFCS free.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=313205&highlight=corn+syrup

KrisM
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
My box of non-microwave Kraft mac n cheese does not list HFCS as an ingredient. My kids eat it a lot, so unless it's horrible for them, I want the cheap stuff!

I will change ketchup and make sure I do a better job of reading ingredients. I always check on bread and crackers and there are quite a few that are good.

ETA: Kellogg's Raisin Bran has it, but Froot Loops and Capt'n Crunch don't! How opposite is that to what I'd guess.

JTsMom
01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
FWIW, I think Back to Nature mac and cheese (they make an organic and a convential IIRC) is much better than Annie's taste-wise. It's lesss expensive as well, and there are often coupons for it.

I also think that once you've had Stoneyfield yogurt, especially the French Vanilla, it's almost impossible to go back to any other brand. :) It's pretty high in sugar though, so if you want to cut that, try the plain, or a 50/50 mix. That's another product you can often find coupons for.

niccig
01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I buy Annie's Mac N Cheese for quick meals, but lately I've been cooking up pasta for DS and put in a little butter and some grated cheese. A throw a few baby carrots and some broccoli florets in the saucepan steamer, and they're done quickly, and DS has a meal.

If you have a TJ's, I don't think ANY of their yoghurt as HFCS. And there's a few brands to choose from. DS loved their tubs of kid's yoghurt, and last time I looked it was cheaper than yo baby. They have adult sized individual yoghurt and the Fat Free or Non-fat doesn't have HFCS.

TJ's have some frozen foods that I get for quick meals.

I still buy condiments, dressing - I look at labels to decide.

Hebrew National Kosher Hot Dogs

Cereal, I get at TJ's too - Kashi cereal and Nature's Path again cheaper than at grocery store. DS likes the flax cereal flakes with yogurt and dried strawberries on top - all from TJ's. I don't buy sweet cereals, but I know there are some that are better than others.

I shop mostly at TJ's. DH wants to move and I've told him only if there's a TJ's nearby!

LarsMal
01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm in the same boat, and have the added frustration of finding things that are also egg/dairy free for DS. We don't all eat the same foods, though. He can't have mac & cheese, but I buy Annie's for DH and me. I'll have to look into the Back to Nature brand, though.

I use jarred sauce- Prego Marinara, 100% natural. I also buy the kids the Tyson's Any'tizers chicken fries. Not the healthiest option, but they're egg/dairy free, no HFCS, and they will actually eat them! It's the only frozen meat product I buy.

I just bought the Back to Nature Classic Creme cookies- my swap out for Oreos. They are pretty tasty. Again, not necessarily "healthy" but a much better option.

I do need to switch peanut butter, especially now that DS will eat it. I think Skippy Natural is supposed to be good.

Original Triscuits are only whole wheat, oil, and salt.

There are options in the regular grocery store. It just takes some extra time to read the labels and compare.

JTsMom
01-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Mara Natha PB is also REALLY delicious. I loooove that stuff, but the price tag is scary stuff. I bought several jars a while back b/c they had a buy $20 worth, get a $10 B&N gc rebate thing.

I'm a Prego fan too, and I can tell you nothing else I have tried compares. The closest, oddly enough, has been 365's Tomato and Basil. It's still not Prego though. :( Prego was making an organic version for a while, but I can never find it anymore.

Ceepa
There are options in the regular grocery store. It just takes some extra time to read the labels and compare.

The closest WF and TJ are far enough away that it doesn't make sense to travel. I'm sure there are millions of people who don't have these as options either so I want to second the idea that a regular grocery store and local suppliers can offer many good options for those wanting to modify their shopping lists.

SnuggleBuggles
I saw that Oprah too but I disagreed with some of their reasons why some things were healthier than others. The focus was too much on calories vs the other nutritional aspects (fiber, good/ bad fats...). Yes, in the Arby's comparison the turkey and swiss on whole wheat had more calories and the bread may not be the best quality but I can't believe that even with more calories it couldn't beat a roast beef and cheese (totally not real cheese!) melt. I'll eat 600 calories of better quality food than 300 calories of the alternative. Anyway, I just walked away from that episode thinking that they weren't giving out the best nutritional advice, perhaps. It would be nice to have a list like that that really took all those things into account- including trans fats and HFCS. That would be a book worth checking out. :)

I think the taste is better on the Annie's than the Kraft. I have Annie's so I can't label compare but I imagine their are nutritional variances that would give the Annie's the edge.

We eat a lot of prepackaged food still around here. I like the Back To Nature brand, Kashi, and the store brand at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Beth

LarsMal
01-28-2009, 06:15 PM
The closest WF and TJ are far enough away that it doesn't make sense to travel. I'm sure there are millions of people who don't have these as options either so I want to second the idea that a regular grocery store and local suppliers can offer many good options for those wanting to modify their shopping lists.

Most also carry their own line of organic foods. We have Kroger here, and I found that their Naturally Preferred Organic Ketchup (20 ounce bottle) was cheaper than the 20 ounce bottle of regular Heinz. Of course, I went with the more expensive for less Organic Heinz, b/c I'm a ketchup snob, but it WAS available!!!

Just thought of a couple other things I buy: Pretzles: Snyders, Chips: Utz regular, and corn chips: Tostitos Natural (blue or yellow corn). They also sell the Cheetos in the natural/organic, but DS can't eat those so I haven't tried them. I feel like they made Doritos at one point, too, but I havne't seen those or *I* would give those a try!!

o_mom
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Peanut butter - we use Trader Joes natural, but at the regular store I will get store brand natural or sometimes Smuckers natural. Basically, the ingredient list is usually peanuts and salt.

Jelly - this one took some doing. The 'Simply Fruit' is a good one available almost anywhere - it is usually on the top shelf. Store brand organic at Krogeris good as well, but the TJ's organic is cheapest.

Bread - Aunt Millie's and now there is another one at Kroger I saw that did not have HFCS, but I don't remember the name.

Pasta Sauce - Barilla. I can usually find it for a reasonable price.

JTsMom
01-28-2009, 07:46 PM
For bread, I usually buy WW from the WF bakery. It's usually 2.99. I also buy other whole grain ones- I like the oatmeal flax one a lot.

LarsMal
01-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Bread - Aunt Millie's and now there is another one at Kroger I saw that did not have HFCS, but I don't remember the name.

I found the Arnold brand 100% Whole Wheat (soft bread, or something like that) at Kroger. It is egg/dairy AND HFCS free- woo hooo!!!!

o_mom
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I found the Arnold brand 100% Whole Wheat (soft bread, or something like that) at Kroger. It is egg/dairy AND HFCS free- woo hooo!!!!

That might be it! Sounds very familiar. DH got it a couple times on sale, but we don't have any at the moment.

WitMom
01-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Going through our cupboards/refrigerator- Eggo NutriGrain Blueberry Waffles are HFCS free. Market Pantry (Target brand) blueberry bagels are HFCS free, too. Lots of other stuff in our fridge that isn't, though.

Georgia
01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I think the taste is better on the Annie's than the Kraft. I have Annie's so I can't label compare but I imagine their are nutritional variances that would give the Annie's the edge.

Actually the nutritional info is pretty much identical. We'd always bought Annie's and then friends staying over the holidays brought Kraft so I compared thinking it HAD to be better, but nope. I've decided I'm no longer a powdered food snob--if we have mac and cheese in the house now it's the cheap Kraft. I find butter and grated cheese just as easy though so haven't bought it in a while.

srhs
01-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Sorry to bump, but I just had a PB&J that was so yummy I had to report.

Jelly--Smuckers "Low Sugar"--yummy real strawberry flavor (no artificial sweeteners either)
PB--Extra Crunchy Skippy Natural--not nearly as oily as other brands, no stirring, no refrigeration (My PB-addict DH with high cholesterol & triglycerides is a fan too.)
Bread--Arnolds Whole Wheat White (bought on sale, froze, and defrosted)

JBaxter
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Im proud of myself. The only think I had to toss was 3 bottles of dressing, relish and ketchup.

boolady
01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
I know Wegman's isn't everywhere, but their organic Jammin' fruit spreads in raspberry and strawberry are delicious and no HFCS.