View Full Version : HFCS Spin off #2- Unexpected places HFCS hides

elliput
01-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Children's medications- definitely liquid generic Acetaminophen
Wheat Thins

Please add your unexpected findings.

infomama
01-28-2009, 09:02 PM
I was surprised to find that many whole wheat breads have HFCS.

elektra
01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Yogurt, bread, and probably tons of other places I haven't even checked yet!
I mean I knew about bread before but really only because the one I buy when I go to the "regular" supermarket has a label on it that says no HFCS (Oroweat I think.)

JBaxter
01-28-2009, 09:13 PM
wish bone brand salad dressing ( salad spritzers 3 flavors I just tossed)
Valsic sweet relish

mamaoftwins
01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Graham crackers - argh!!

DrSally
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Children's medications- definitely liquid generic ibuprofen.
Wheat Thins

Please add your unexpected findings.

Oh great, I just bought some. Does the name brand have it?

DrSally
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I was surprised to find that many whole wheat breads have HFCS.

Yeah, now you have to look for 2 things when picking a simple loaf of bread. I hate that.

dylansnan
01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Rice Krispies!!

elliput
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh great, I just bought some. Does the name brand have it?

I big ol' DOH here. I meant Acetaminophen not Ibuprofen (the ibu doesn't list all the ingredients on the bottle I have). Tylenol has corn syrup, but not HFCS. There is a dye free version that is corn syrup free also. Children's Tylenol ingredients (http://www.tylenol.com/product_detail.jhtml?id=tylenol/children/prod_child.inc&prod=subpchild#)

hillview
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Re Bread
I suggest a bread machine!!

LOVE it
/hillary

s7714
01-29-2009, 01:24 AM
I knew Wheat Thins had it, but didn't even think about medicines like generic tylenol! :32: Thanks for the reminder to check there too!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Special K Cereal.

Safeway Organic Wheat Thins are HFCS free, and affordable.

infomama
01-29-2009, 02:38 AM
Re Bread

LOVE it
/hillary

Which one do you have? The haven't owned a bread machine for 13 years.

urquie
01-29-2009, 04:18 AM
tomato soup - campbells and some of one type of trader joe's.

i had two boxes of tj's "red pepper and tomato soup"... one had hfcs, the other did not???

o_mom
01-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Re Bread

LOVE it
/hillary

Have one, but we would need to make it daily with the amount we go through and it does not come out shaped well for sandwiches. If it's just for on the side with soup it's great, though.

kayte
01-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Children's medications- definitely liquid generic Acetaminophen

I check every food item that goes into our carts... but it never crossed my mind to check medicine --not sure why--but I will now. Thanks.

kayte
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I highly recommend this book instead of the expense of the bread machine...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312362919?ie=UTF8&tag=arbrinfimiada-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0312362919

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

The bread is insanely good (almost too good) and really easy. I find it tastes better (especially the crust) than any I make in a machine.

egoldber
01-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Have one, but we would need to make it daily with the amount we go through and it does not come out shaped well for sandwiches. If it's just for on the side with soup it's great, though.

I have one that I got ages ago, but I use mine to just make the dough, then I shape it and bake it in a regular loaf pan. I can make it the regular way, but I just prefer the bread machine for everyday, so I can load up the ingredients and go. It's also less mess to clean up which I prefer.

I also use it to make rolls and pizza dough.

caleymama
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Rice Krispies (and lots of other boxed cereals, as has been mentioned)
Applesauce (the regular, unsweetened is fine)

kayte
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Lender's Bagels (all bagged bagels at my store- I've checked but I don't remember the brands)

Athenos Hummus (except the Roasted Red Pepper flavor, odd, I know)

mommylamb
01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Cape Cod salad dressings. I always thought of these as being higher quality than some other brands (and really yummy)... but they have HFCS too.

LarsMal
01-29-2009, 10:55 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312362919?ie=UTF8&tag=arbrinfimiada-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0312362919

The bread is insanely good (almost too good) and really easy. I find it tastes better (especially the crust) than any I make in a machine.

Thanks for those links! I was going to post today and ask if anyone had good bread recipes (for a non-bread machine owner!). DH had one when we met, but we gave it away or got rid of it somewhere along the way...drat!

I think I just found something to use my B&N gift card on!!!

elliput
01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Lender's Bagels (all bagged bagels at my store- I've checked but I don't remember the brands)

Athenos Hummus (except the Roasted Red Pepper flavor, odd, I know)

Bagels are the mainstay of my breakfast, but I found some that are HFCS free- Olde Hearth Select brand Health Crunch flavor. DH gets them at Super Walmart. They have 9g of whole grain and have added Omega-3.

Hummus is super easy to make. I'll post the recipe in What's Cookin'.

jammytoast
01-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Thomas' bagels are HFCS free, as are one brand that's in the freezer (Joe's NY style or something?)

Biggies that surprised me:
-smuckers jam (I laugh at the commercials...its NOT how they made it 100 years ago!)
-almost all hotdog/hamburger buns except potato rolls
-Cool Whip (not that much of a surprise, but its entirely partially hydrogenated oils and HFCS.
-a LOT of coffee creamers (esp the non-dairy ones) are loaded as well.

kayte
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Bagels are the mainstay of my breakfast, but I found some that are HFCS free- Olde Hearth Select brand Health Crunch flavor. DH gets them at Super Walmart. They have 9g of whole grain and have added Omega-3.

Hummus is super easy to make. I'll post the recipe in What's Cookin'.

Great I'll look for those bagels and the hummus recipe!

elektra
01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Thomas' bagels are HFCS free, as are one brand that's in the freezer (Joe's NY style or something?)

Biggies that surprised me:
-smuckers jam (I laugh at the commercials...its NOT how they made it 100 years ago!)
-almost all hotdog/hamburger buns except potato rolls
-Cool Whip (not that much of a surprise, but its entirely partially hydrogenated oils and HFCS.
-a LOT of coffee creamers (esp the non-dairy ones) are loaded as well.

These are all surprises to me. Not the jam so much but coffee creamer?

kayte
01-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Thought of another one that shocked me.. I was looking at some pickles to find some with lower sodium for my dad--and there were several brands that had HFCS--- Why in the heck do you need that in a pickle????

mommylamb
01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Thought of another one that shocked me.. I was looking at some pickles to find some with lower sodium for my dad--and there were several brands that had HFCS--- Why in the heck do you need that in a pickle????

In sour pickles, or were these the sweet kind?

elliput
01-29-2009, 02:04 PM

I would imagine it would be sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, etc that have HFCS. Kosher dills (my fave anyway) would definitely not have HFCS.

kayte
01-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Not the sweet kind- the dill sliced ones for hamburgers --is that bread and butter pickles?.

o_mom
01-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Bread and Butter pickles, not the sweet kind.

B&B pickles are the sweet kind. :) They have plenty of sugar in them when made from scratch.

ETA: Even some dill ones have sugar, it just depends on the recipe, but yeah, I would not have guessed dill pickles. Sad to see my favorite Classen ones have it. :(

jgenie
01-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Raisin Bran - completely shocked me!

jammytoast
01-29-2009, 02:34 PM
ooho, since you brought up pickles, add in relish...I've yet to find one w/o HFCS in my normal store or TJ's (havent tried the heath food store yet)

infomama
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Just ordered the book.

brittone2
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
For dill relish, pickles, etc. Bubbies is awesome. Our co-op carries it, but it is usually in the cold section at Whole Foods near me as well.

We also use their sauerkraut (German heritage ;) ), which is so good because it isn't pickled w/ vinegar. Just a salt brine. It makes it milder and yummier.