PDA

View Full Version : ipod advice needed

neeleymartin
01-28-2009, 10:15 PM
looking to get an ipod. i want it to load all the cds we have (not many), as well as borrows from the library (i have so many late fees, i'm going broke).

i have looked at the nano 8gb. but i believe the only way to charge this one is when it's plugged into the computer. i HATE this feature. i often go days without turning on the computer.

i have also looked at the classic 120gb. i love this model, i think. but i don't know how you can charge it.

important features to me, in order:
1. able to play in the car. (please tell me exactly the transmitter you have. i've had terrible luck with transmitters for my generic mp3 in the past.)
2. charger - hopefully charges while you listen in the car, or at least charger that you can plug into the wall. charging in the computer would be the pits.
3. loads of space. pretty sure that the 120gb is a bit excessive, but i will NEVER need to worry about running out of space. part of me thinks it would be cool for videos, too. can you put on any dvd?

thanks in advance for advice. i feel really lost.

o_mom
01-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Any of the dockables can be charged in the car or a wall charger. My Nano is a couple years old and I can use the car or wall charger, I'm pretty sure the new ones are the same. The Shuffle is the one that you have to hook up to the computer to charge (or get a usb wall adapter).

neeleymartin
01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Any of the dockables can be charged in the car or a wall charger. My Nano is a couple years old and I can use the car or wall charger, I'm pretty sure the new ones are the same.

i thought so too. but read several very negative reviews that stated the nano (newest one on amazon) could not be charged anywhere but via usb to computer.

infomama
01-28-2009, 11:46 PM
We both have Nanos and they charge off the FM transmitter in the car. We both have Belkin transmitters. Mine is SO old but DH just got his at WalMart about 6 months ago. It was pricey (about $70 I think) but it is compact and scans for the best available frequency to transmit on which is SO nice.

deannanb
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
we are a big iPod home!

check out www.apple.com - they will have everything you need for a nano!
if all you want is a nano for music - the 4gb is really enough -
I just loaded music for DS and still had TONS of room for more!

if you are looking for videos - you might want to consider spending more money for the iPod Touch - the screen is much bigger than the nano - (we have both)

you can charge right into the wall - http://tinyurl.com/6esf7t

kransden
01-29-2009, 12:29 AM
My ipod has currently 13 gb on it. (4,000 + songs) I got it Xmas of 2005. Only about 6 are movies. Unless you have to have the compactness of a nano, I would go with a touch too. The 6 gig is Scooby Doo episodes for dd! :)
I don't like the FM transmitter. I have the cassette adaptor from the Apple store. I love it.

o_mom
01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
i thought so too. but read several very negative reviews that stated the nano (newest one on amazon) could not be charged anywhere but via usb to computer.

It sounds like they changed it, but there are ones that work. From the Nano website: "Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter (sold separately)" I think people are mad that their old accessories don't work with it, but if you are buying new it shouldn't be an issue.

tarabenet
01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
For a charger, get the iGo charger. I have one for wall and car. It is safe, charges faster, and has interchangeable tips, so you can use one charger for several devices. Much handier for travel! You can get them at Amazon or at Radio Shack, among other places.

neeleymartin
01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
thanks for the advice. please keep it coming if you think of anything else.

also, seems like people are recommending the touch. it seems to be more expensive than the classic and have less space. also a bit more techy. i can handle the tech, but honestly would prefer a no frills variety.

how easy is it to take a dvd, say blues clues, and put it onto the ipod? i am so excited about getting my new toy. what a dork!!

what about a dock for home so i can play the ipod in my home system? any advice there.

neeleymartin
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
also do you have to turn up the volume really loudly on your car stereo to hear it? my friend has an older one and it sounds great, but she said if she forgets to turn it down when she unplugs the player, look out!!!! really loud.

kransden
01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I have an ipod classic 30 or 40 gig (I don't remember). I use it in the car and have a stereo to hook it up to in the house. When I go on trips, dd watches movies on the plane with it instead of lugging the DVD player! DH has an iphone. She loves to play games on it and it is easier to watch movies. That is why I suggested the touch. I am not sure about converting DVDs to play on the ipod, but buying and downloading shows and movies from itunes is a snap and fairly inexpensive.

neeleymartin
01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I have an ipod classic 30 or 40 gig (I don't remember). I use it in the car and have a stereo to hook it up to in the house. When I go on trips, dd watches movies on the plane with it instead of lugging the DVD player! DH has an iphone. She loves to play games on it and it is easier to watch movies. That is why I suggested the touch. I am not sure about converting DVDs to play on the ipod, but buying and downloading shows and movies from itunes is a snap and fairly inexpensive.

you mentioned you have the classic, but then recommend the touch. is there a reason for that or is it a typo?

when you buy and download from itunes, do you own them for an indefinite time, or what? also do you have to sync them periodically? sounds like a dumb question, but i picture myself loading the music/videos and just keeping them there. i don't plan to sync with computer often, unless i have to. i recall with my old mp3, i had to resync music that i downloaded about every month. whereas cd's that i ripped stayed there until i took them off. i also remember that the mp3 player i had, when some stuff needed to be synced(is that even a word)you couldn't listen to anything, not even ripped music.

thanks

MaiseyDog
01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I have the iPod classic 80G. I have my music and several movies for DD on it and have used about 15G's. I have not found a good way to rip DVD's to it as most of the ones I would want (disney) are protected (if anyone knows the tricks please fill me in) so I just purchase them off of iTunes. Some movies and TV shows you can purchase and have indefinately, but iTunes also has the option of renting some movies. That's come in handy when it's something I'm not really sure if DD will like.

squimp
01-29-2009, 04:09 PM
i have the itouch, and have started using it to watch podcasts and movies for DD. It has a really nice big screen, and I love that I can wireless surf with it. I'd compare it with the ipods to see about the screen size. I can't imagine watching a video on a smaller screen.

neeleymartin
01-29-2009, 04:39 PM
how much are these dvd's and songs to buy and/or rent?

apple is a brilliant money making company. wish i thought of it.

also, is it possible to put older dvd's on the ipod, perhaps that aren't protected, anyone do this?

thanks

kozachka
01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
I am finally ready to jump on iPod train and after some research has settled on iTouch. What size should I get, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB? I plan on using it for music and viewing (but not storing) shows say 2-3 episodes at a time. I am thinking of getting the smallest size. A guy I know has 32GB and never uses all the space.