PDA

View Full Version : When DC turned 1 did you stop with formula?

tmonroe
01-29-2009, 12:27 AM
DD is a few months away from her first birthday but I want to be prepared in what she'll get after formula. We use Enfamil Prosobee. At 1, did you switch DC to either regular soy or whole milk or did you use the next step formula available? TIA

almostamom
01-29-2009, 12:35 AM
At 11 months and 1 week (or so) DS refused formula. We switched to whole milk at that point. It was the easiest transition we've ever had.

Linda

SpaceGal
01-29-2009, 12:45 AM
We switched DS #1 gradually because he wasn't transitioning well took about 2-3 months. As for DS #2 he transitioned right away...so we just used what we had left and we were done. I didn't bother with next step formula...just more money that we didn't feel we had to spend.

gobadgers
01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
When DD turned one, we used up the rest of the open formula can and then switched to whole milk. It was easy for us, I hope it is for you too! More difficult for us was at 15 months, getting rid of the bottle and going to 100% sippy cup.

purpleeyes
01-29-2009, 01:00 AM
When DD turned one, we used up the rest of the open formula can and then switched to whole milk. It was easy for us, I hope it is for you too!

:yeahthat:

Good luck!

elektra
01-29-2009, 01:12 AM
We transitioned from formula and bottles to whole milk and sippies at the same time, right after a year. Looking back, I was more worried about it than I needed to be.
We were also still BF mornings and nights, but weaned shortly after the formula/milk transition too.
No toddler formula.

KBecks
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
We transitioned to whole milk, gradually, and also to straw cups.

mamaoftwins
01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
We transitioned from formula and bottles to whole milk and sippies at the same time, right after a year.

We did the same, starting the process at around 11mos by replacing 1 formula bottle at snack time with 1 sippie/straw cup of milk. They refused all milk and sippies for three wks, until they magically loved it one day around 12mos and started refusing bottles and formula. :)

mom_hanna
01-29-2009, 10:36 AM
We switched from formula and bottles to milk and sippies on both dc's first birthday. Easy transition for us. Hope it is for you too!

HIU8
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Starting at 11 months we mixed DD's formula with milk. by 1 she was on whole milk and no formula (we did this with the doctors permission b/c DD was still drinking over 40 ounces of formula a day and eating 3 meals and 3 snacks every day by 11 months--she is a really big eater).

vonfirmath
01-29-2009, 02:33 PM
We were starting to transition to milk, but continued to use the same formula (not the more expensive Next Step) until 14 months when the doctor said it was time to go completely.

eliasmom
01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
We went cold turkey to whole milk as soon as we were out of formula past one year. DD did not care at all. Now giving up the bottles... that was a battle, but it was over within a few days when I finally decided to stand my ground.

Good luck!!

tmonroe
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks moms. I prefer to give her soy thank whole milk. I hope it's an easy transition.

Tondi G
01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks moms. I prefer to give her soy thank whole milk. I hope it's an easy transition.

We transitioned at a year too. Once he went in for his well visit we started 6 oz of formula to 2 oz of milk... then 4 to 4 then 2 to 6 and then he was completely on milk and we never looked back! We did the transition initially to cows milk and then moved to rice milk for a while.... he was just non stop sick and the dairy was not helping in the mucus dept. It helped with the ear infections I think and our ped ok'd the rice milk or soy milk whatever we decided to go with! He still ate cheese and yogurt at that point though!

hope you have a smooth transition!