PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl - Kid friendly fun (Warning - Steeler Fan)

Jen841
01-29-2009, 01:28 PM
What are you doing? We are huge Steeler Fans so the room will be decked out in all of our gear. The kids will make some crafts from here http://www.teachingheart.net/football.htm as we listen to the Pittsburgh Polka (found on iTunes.)

Food-
Jello Helmets (I'll make a field of red and yellow helmets on a green jello field)
Giant Cookie (we'll make a Steeler logo on it with colored blasting sugars - we are experienced at this)
Mac N Cheese - I'll find a noodle that looks like a football as best as I can

For the neighbors I will make chocolate football cakes like I saw in the grocery

As we are Steeler Fans I want to serve Chipped Ham sandwiches and knock-off Primanti Brothers, but I don't think I can perfect a slaw like they make (anyone have a recipe.)

We will just have 4 adults and 4 kids, upstairs TV is for serious viewing only (had to put rules out there if I wanted to invite others over.)

almostmom
01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
We are steelers fans too, but live in New England, so it can be tough! I love the big Steelers cookie idea - can you post some directions for how you're going to do that?

Jen841
01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Make chocolate chip cookies in 9in cake pans
Frost with white frosting
Buy a tube of black frosting and write STEELERS (refer to something with their logo on it)
Make a 'diamond' stencil with a paper plate and sprinkle the sugars through it to make the logo
I will attempt to attach a picture (it is not pretty, I had little helpers).

Very simple.

srhs
01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
You have terrible towels, yes?

almostmom
01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I love it! Thanks!!!! I'm totally going to do that and surprise my DH!

Jen841
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Each kid got one when the were born (E was 3 the last time they played/won) and DH and I have ours from YEARS ago. J has a Steeler Towel on his golf bag (he's 5) b/c that is what he thinks you do based on his Dad and Grandfather.

Mamma2004
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
We are steelers fans too, but live in New England, so it can be tough! I love the big Steelers cookie idea - can you post some directions for how you're going to do that?

Liz, in what part of MA do you live? There are some of us Steelers fans but you're right, we are the MINORITY!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

elektra
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
We are having a party (with kids) and I hadn't even thought of any of this type of stuff! Thanks for the great ideas, it all sounds great to me.
However, I don't even know who is playing! Steelers it sounds like. ;)

almostmom
01-29-2009, 03:31 PM
We're in "metrowest." We're having my in-laws over because, although they are serious Pats fans, they love their son and support his errant fandom! (My dad, though usually supportive of the Steelers as a second team because of DH, won't commit to supporting them for this game!) I also was a Pats fan growing up, but once I met DH, and actually started watching the games a bit, I fell for him and his team. I just love thinking of him as a little boy, adoring the hard-working, and winning, Steelers, keeping stats and getting excited. Like all fans, he becomes that little boy again in times like these!

GO STEELERS!!!!!

lisams
01-29-2009, 03:36 PM
What fun! Since we are in AZ, of course we're rooting for the Cardinals, but I like the idea of making it fun for the kids too!

We're actually still in shock that the Cards are going to the Super Bowl!

Jen841
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Jude made these with Steeler Helmet/Logo from that attachment earlier (there are generic ones for you Cardinals fans), so cute! I know what we are sending the Grandparent's for Valentine's Day.
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?p...&craftid=12071