PDA

View Full Version : Would you be so callous with your money?

tmonroe
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I have been fortunate to have, until recently, a steady stream of freelance work since DD was born. Unfortunately things have dwindled because of the economy. I submitted an invoice for one assignment on January 2nd. It takes about 2 weeks to get a check. I called an acquaintance in accounting and was told they have no record of my invoice. I emailed the person who processes the invoices just to be told, "oh sorry. i forgot to submit. will submit right away" which means another delay. I emailed asking if there is some way they can expedite payment. It may be only $400 but that goes a long way in my household and we really need it. He writes back "not sure" Could this ahole at least pretend to care that there is delay in my payment. Maybe even apologize for the inconvenience?

specialp
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
ETA- I meant to say money in the subject not mother! LOL

Freudian slip . . . could happpen to anyone. :wink2:

That stinks. Hope the Ahole gets you your money soon.

lovin2shop
01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
LOL, I was trying to figure out if your mother was the accountant at first? Anyway, I would tread lightly here. If you want this company to keep offering you work, I would be careful about being too much of a nuisance about payment. In my office, we have quit using vendors simply because they were too demanding (we do pay quickly, at least within 14 days) about payment. So, if you really think that this was an honest mistake and they normally pay on time, I'd let it go. I agree, they could have at least apologized for misplacing the invoice, but I'd still go under the catching more bees with honey philosophy.

tmonroe
01-29-2009, 03:25 PM
LOL, I was trying to figure out if your mother was the accountant at first? Anyway, I would tread lightly here. If you want this company to keep offering you work, I would be careful about being too much of a nuisance about payment. In my office, we have quit using vendors simply because they were too demanding (we do pay quickly, at least within 14 days) about payment. So, if you really think that this was an honest mistake and they normally pay on time, I'd let it go. I agree, they could have at least apologized for misplacing the invoice, but I'd still go under the catching more bees with honey philosophy.

You are 100% correct. Thanks for the sound advice. I just let it go and the check will get here when it gets here. I figured things could be worse and my friend got laid off yesterday. Trying to count my blessings but I'll still bitch on this board. LOL

o_mom
01-29-2009, 03:40 PM
If you click on edit and then 'go advanced', you will be able to edit the title.

Hope they get the money to you soon!

kozachka
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I think a lot of companies are having liquidity issues and try to pay their vendors as late as possible. Could one of those situations. Frustrating but nothing you can do about it. Hugs.

tmonroe
01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
If you click on edit and then 'go advanced', you will be able to edit the title.

Hope they get the money to you soon!

Thanks! I hope so too. Thanks also kozachka.

egoldber
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
My DH has a consulting business and 30 days is fairly standard turn around time. So I would be patient. :)

Nooknookmom
01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
You are 100% correct. Thanks for the sound advice. I just let it go and the check will get here when it gets here. I figured things could be worse and my friend got laid off yesterday. Trying to count my blessings but I'll still bitch on this board. LOL

We are also in the "gee, I thought I sent that check out" boat.

DH & I are in the construction business (I only do the paperwork end now due to a back injury). Retrieving a check from a client is becoming more like pulling a molar from an Elephant.

I have learned the art of "subtle-pushing". I prefer to speak directly to a client as email is to un-personal. If the client (or accounts payable person) hears your polite insistance/need for the check to get to you sooner, they may be more willing to help.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to scream *I need my freakin' $$ now!* but didn't want to burn the future work bridge. In fact we have a new client that instead of getting the check to us by this Friday, decided to wait until this Sat. Not usually a big deal, but my bank is closed Sat and I have to write payroll checks Fri.

Self employment can really stick. Especially as you said in this economy a little green does go a long way!!!

tmonroe
01-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I just submitted an invoice to the same idiot for 3.5 hours of last minute work they sent me yesterday only to be told via email, "didn't you just invoice me for 8 hours? that is all we can pay for that story. sorry that wasn't made clear to you!" I am done. I really can't be bothered. They are cutting out freelancers anyway and I just don't have time for the drama and begging to get paid for work I've done.

new_mommy25
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I just submitted an invoice to the same idiot for 3.5 hours of last minute work they sent me yesterday only to be told via email, "didn't you just invoice me for 8 hours? that is all we can pay for that story. sorry that wasn't made clear to you!" I am done. I really can't be bothered. They are cutting out freelancers anyway and I just don't have time for the drama and begging to get paid for work I've done.

Ugh, that sucks. I hope you get your payment for both jobs quickly.

I am a bookkeeper and have forgotten to submit invoices before. I get piles and piles a day and sometimes one or two slip through the cracks. Or sometimes the chef or whoever forgets to give it to me for a few weeks. It does happen though when people call me and really need the money I usually just cut a manual check so they can get their money quickly. It sounds like this company is definitely having issues and I agree that no longer doing jobs for them is a good thing.

I hope you get your money soon. :grouphug: