PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recently gone from SUV to a wagon

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
My 10 year old car is petering out and I want to be prepared when I need to go buy a new one. I have been driving a SUV so am used to sitting high. Has anyone recently gone from an SUV to a wagon style car and have you regretted it? I am also needing something my elderly mom can get in and out of easily. I have two kids and a non driving husband. Any insight?

o_mom
01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Are you talking a wagon like a Subaru Outback or Volvo? Or more like a crossover or minivan type - mazda 6 or something?

Do you need everyone to fit at once?

I will say that when I drive DH's sedan it is a change from being up high in my van. After a bit I do get used to it though (but I still curse out all the vans and SUVs in front of me for blocking the view, lol).

Hope everyone there is doing well!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I would love to fit three adults (including me) and the two kids, but am not sure if that is possible in a wagon. I have been peeking at the Volvo ( thanks Corie and Jeana) but have no experience with that company.

squimp
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey there -

We just went from a Subaru Forester wagon to a used Honda Pilot, and I'd never go back. There's just not enough room for us to fit adults comfortably in the back of the Forester.

My parents have a Volvo, and 4 adults, 1 kid is a very tight squeeze. I can't imagine 2 kids 3 adults - that I think would be too tight.

What about a minivan.? My ILs have a Honda Odyssey and it's awesome. Love the doors on both sides - seems like it would be ideal for kids going one way and mom headed the other.

Hope you are doing well - thinking of you - Jana

o_mom
01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
I think it is hard to find a car (wagon or sedan) that can seat 5 comfortably. The kids aren't getting any smaller, either. The third row Volvo seat is OK, if they are big enough to use it without a booster, but you cannot put any carseats in it (5 pt or booster) and you legally have to use a booster to age 8 now I think, so it would be a few years before you could get even one back there, if I'm remembering their ages correctly.

The Mazda 5 is a neat concept with the 2/2/2 seating. The minivan is great for elderly people getting in and out and the 3rd row is much more accessible than in an SUV.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Just want to say hi to Jana!

spanannie
01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I drive the Mercedes R350 and if you are seating 3 adults, the 2 children would have to ride in the 3rd row. In my family, if I have the 2 children in the 3rd row together, it is an utter nightmare. Since you can only put 2 children in car seats in the 3rd row, they are close enough together that they bicker and touch each other, etc. It's just not pleasant. Right now, I have DS in row 3 and DD1 in row 2 and it works. I do like my car, but with having 3 kids, 2 of which like to have play dates, I am going to have to move to something larger. I can only take one extra child home. Forget carting along extra adults. Anyway, I haven't regretted the car and don't mind sitting low at all--I actually like it. DH does not like sitting low, but he doesn't have to drive it much. Oh, I forgot to say, with the 3rd row up, there's not much cargo room at all. That's another down fall. I'm going to have to eventually get a (shudder) Suburban. Ugh. It's the only big vehicle with captain's chairs and enough room and the minivans just didn't do it for me. Good to see you Susan!

lfp2n
01-29-2009, 05:28 PM
we have an Outback and have done center and side carseat plus 1 adult in back, (2 adults in front), and center carseat and 2 adults on either side in back. Its quite tight but not unbearable the adults have to be smallish though. It would only work if you have a carseat like a Marathon that can go center, 2 side boosters wouldn't work.
The Subys not too bad height wise as its high for a wagon, but I felt low in the VW wagon which we are eyeing next as its Deisel.

HIH

Hallie_D
01-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't want to hijack your thread--I'm curious if anyone owns a Mazda 5 as we are looking into this option. We have a Subaru Outback and with two large carseats, putting a third person in back (child or adult) is extremely challenging. I've had to ride in between the two car seats and it was not pretty. DH is strongly anti-minivan, and I don't want an SUV.

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a Mazda 5 that is about 5 months old and I've really loved it for the most part.

When we first bought it, my parents were coming in to town and we wanted a vehicle that was a good fit for our family of 4 + 2 adults. We arranged the carseats in a column (older DS in the back seat, baby in front of him) and then there was plenty of room for two adults next to these guys.

The seats fold down & up very easily.

Day-to-day I go with the 3rd row down to fit all my crap in the back. :)

Let me know what kind of questions you have!

My only complaints are that the gas cap gets stuck (but I just had the dealer show me a trick of turning it the opposite way to get it to pop out) and my cd player doesn't work once in a while. I'm about to take it in for that. It annoys me that it has these minor flaws because otherwise the car is great!

jayali
01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
We have an RX330 but I always wanted a Volvo wagon. When we test drove them I purposely sat in the back seat with Matthew in his carseat to see how it would feel. We frequently travel with 4 adults and 1 carseat and the RX330 is a very tight fit. I felt like we would have more room in the Volvo wagon. Did I say that I always wanted a Volvo wagon - and that the backseat in the Volvo seemed roomier? Yes I did, but we still went with the Lexus. In the end I didn't want to give up sitting up high and my navigation system. Also, when once in love with a wagon, the thought of the exposed back instead of a slightly hidden hatch convinced me to stick with my SUV. I always remember the back of my mom's wagon being such a mess and was afraid that would happen to me!

We did end up getting a Volvo as a second car a year ago and we really like it. It is a good solid car. We are very happy with the brand.

Susan, just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you and your family and hope that your husband continues to improve.

Have fun shopping!

HannaAddict
01-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I drive the Mercedes R350 and if you are seating 3 adults, the 2 children would have to ride in the 3rd row. In my family, if I have the 2 children in the 3rd row together, it is an utter nightmare. Since you can only put 2 children in car seats in the 3rd row, they are close enough together that they bicker and touch each other, etc. It's just not pleasant. Right now, I have DS in row 3 and DD1 in row 2 and it works. I do like my car, but with having 3 kids, 2 of which like to have play dates, I am going to have to move to something larger. I can only take one extra child home. Forget carting along extra adults. Anyway, I haven't regretted the car and don't mind sitting low at all--I actually like it. DH does not like sitting low, but he doesn't have to drive it much. Oh, I forgot to say, with the 3rd row up, there's not much cargo room at all. That's another down fall. I'm going to have to eventually get a (shudder) Suburban. Ugh. It's the only big vehicle with captain's chairs and enough room and the minivans just didn't do it for me. Good to see you Susan!

I have a Mercedes R320 (diesel) and love it. We only have two children though and find it works great for us and actually has more cargo room than a Suburban if the third row of the Suburban is being used (and we are using the third row). For example, I can fit a Phil and Ted stroller with second seat and other stuff behind the third row in my R class when it won't fit in our neighbor's Suburban. We went from an SUV too and though the R is lower than the SUV, it is higher than a regular car. Our normal set up is Regent in captains chair passenger side, rear facing Marathon or Blvd. behind driver's seat. If we have more adults coming, we pull the Regent and use it in the third row (all rear seats have Latch and tethers!) and one adult sits in the third row and one in second row. The third row seat isn't huge but isn't terrible either. I've sat there for an extended time and I'm 5'11" and had plenty of leg room. My 6'2" brother has sat back there too and not minded it. Not for a cross country trip but fine for most occasional trips.

Best thing about the car is that it is a clean diesel, the reason we started looking at it in the first place. If I didn't tell you it was a diesel, you wouldn't know. They are great now. It gets better mileage than a hybrid Highlander and has much more room and is like a tank to drive (in a good way). Solid, quiet, a great kid hauler if you don't want a minivan. I get 20 mph around town with a lead foot, husband gets 22 or so. We both get 28 mpg on the freeway without watching how we drive. It was fantastic in our snow and ice storm this winter in a city that doesn't do snow, getting us around up and down hills (has hill assist and paddle shifters so you can use a low gear) and is just fun to drive. We are on vacation right now and renting a Toyota Sienna minivan and the minivan is roomier and is fine, but we all miss our car. The Sienna is more room than we need on a regular basis and is gets worse mileage which surprised us a bit. My kids do like the plethora of cup holders in the Sienna though :) .

Good luck.

spanannie
01-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Really?
With my 3rd row up, I can just fit a stroller in the cargo space, nothing more. In my friends' Suburbans with the 3rd row up, I could lay down and take a nap, plus store all of my stuff. I can comfortably hold an umbrella stroller with 3rd row up or literally cram my Bugaboo Cameleon. I have a Britax Frontier in the rear + one empty space (for a friend to ride, or we flip that one down for more cargo room) and a RF Marathon behind the driver and a Frontier behind the passenger. I really love the car. The trunk space isn't really the issue for me as much as not being able to hold 3 kids in the 3rd row. I'd really love to be able to take home a play date for each of my older kiddos. I'm sad to think of parting with it, though. For whatever reason your car sounds a lot bigger than mine. I don't recall P&Ts strollers folding up small.

ETA: The Frontier worked fine in the 3rd row until recently . . . DS, 6 y 7 m is suddenly running out of leg room. He's still OK, but it's getting a little cramped. I definitely don't think you could do a Regent in the 3rd row. We did have one in row 2 like you did for a long time, though.

I have a Mercedes R320 (diesel) and love it. We only have two children though and find it works great for us and actually has more cargo room than a Suburban if the third row of the Suburban is being used (and we are using the third row). For example, I can fit a Phil and Ted stroller with second seat and other stuff behind the third row in my R class when it won't fit in our neighbor's Suburban. We went from an SUV too and though the R is lower than the SUV, it is higher than a regular car. Our normal set up is Regent in captains chair passenger side, rear facing Marathon or Blvd. behind driver's seat. If we have more adults coming, we pull the Regent and use it in the third row (all rear seats have Latch and tethers!) and one adult sits in the third row and one in second row. The third row seat isn't huge but isn't terrible either. I've sat there for an extended time and I'm 5'11" and had plenty of leg room. My 6'2" brother has sat back there too and not minded it. Not for a cross country trip but fine for most occasional trips.

Best thing about the car is that it is a clean diesel, the reason we started looking at it in the first place. If I didn't tell you it was a diesel, you wouldn't know. They are great now. It gets better mileage than a hybrid Highlander and has much more room and is like a tank to drive (in a good way). Solid, quiet, a great kid hauler if you don't want a minivan. I get 20 mph around town with a lead foot, husband gets 22 or so. We both get 28 mpg on the freeway without watching how we drive. It was fantastic in our snow and ice storm this winter in a city that doesn't do snow, getting us around up and down hills (has hill assist and paddle shifters so you can use a low gear) and is just fun to drive. We are on vacation right now and renting a Toyota Sienna minivan and the minivan is roomier and is fine, but we all miss our car. The Sienna is more room than we need on a regular basis and is gets worse mileage which surprised us a bit. My kids do like the plethora of cup holders in the Sienna though :) .

Good luck.

neeter
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Would love more feedback on the Mazda 5 --- we're seriously considering it. Is there enough power in the engine when all four of you are in the car? How about six of you?

HannaAddict
01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Really?
With my 3rd row up, I can just fit a stroller in the cargo space, nothing more. In my friends' Suburbans with the 3rd row up, I could lay down and take a nap, plus store all of my stuff. I can comfortably hold an umbrella stroller with 3rd row up or literally cram my Bugaboo Cameleon. I have a Britax Frontier in the rear + one empty space (for a friend to ride, or we flip that one down for more cargo room) and a RF Marathon behind the driver and a Frontier behind the passenger. I really love the car. The trunk space isn't really the issue for me as much as not being able to hold 3 kids in the 3rd row. I'd really love to be able to take home a play date for each of my older kiddos. I'm sad to think of parting with it, though. For whatever reason your car sounds a lot bigger than mine. I don't recall P&Ts strollers folding up small.

ETA: The Frontier worked fine in the 3rd row until recently . . . DS, 6 y 7 m is suddenly running out of leg room. He's still OK, but it's getting a little cramped. I definitely don't think you could do a Regent in the 3rd row. We did have one in row 2 like you did for a long time, though.

The Phil & Ted is the car stroller, it fits folded, on its side if that makes sense. Not laying down flat but on the side behind the 3rd row. The stroller folds fairly flat actually and then just stick the seat next to it and it is very flat. Not sure what the Bug is like when folded, heard it was a pain so didn't get one. I use a tie down strap to the handle and cargo net, just like I did in my SUV so it won't go flying if there was an accident.

We do use the Regent in the 3rd row on occasion and it is fine, though there is more room for legs if we use his Frontier. With the Regent we move the second row captains seat forward some, but not a ton. My son is 3'9" with long legs. My R is the six seat verson so 2, 2, 2. If you have the bench seat "7" seater, maybe it makes the area back there functionally smaller? We really like the two separate 3rd row seats since they are actually useful versus the claims of "seating 7" and being scrunched in other 3rd row cars. And the mileage is a deal breaker for a big SUV, this is our luxury "green" vehicle.

Our biggest crazy load ever was for this trip to the airport, four adults, two kids (in RF Marathon second row and Frontier in 3rd row that we took with us on the plane), six or seven pieces of checked luggage, more carry on luggage, and "ta da" a Baby Jogger City Series Double stroller in the stroller bag sitting on the lap of the adult who wanted to bring it (NOT ME!) in the second row passenger seat. We were the clown car at the sky cap, we just kept coming and so did the luggage. The trunk space always holds more than we ever think it will by just looking at it. This was the bursting point though. (I've also had an insane amount of Home Depot paint and supplies in it that the Home Depot guy said would never fit, that I needed a pick-up for. I took a picture of that with my camera phone that time, but the kids weren't with me though car seats were installed in the second row.)

spanannie
01-29-2009, 11:25 PM
I have the same seat configuration as you do. My son is taller than yours, though, so I guess that's why he's getting a little more cramped in the back in the large car seat. I thought about why your friend's Suburban is smaller than my friend's. Your friend must have the shorter version. Most of my friends have the long version where I swear you could camp out in the back, even with the 3rd row up!

The Bug does not fold flat, but I also use a tie down for safety. I can't use a cargo net over it; it is just too big. Yes, the stroller is a total pain to fold and unfold, but it is so awesome and comfy for the baby that it makes it worthwhile!

I'm still amazed at what you fit in your car on the way to the airport! I just really don't feel like my car holds that much at all and we drive the same car; you just drive the diesel version. I do like the car a lot, though.

The Phil & Ted is the car stroller, it fits folded, on its side if that makes sense. Not laying down flat but on the side behind the 3rd row. The stroller folds fairly flat actually and then just stick the seat next to it and it is very flat. Not sure what the Bug is like when folded, heard it was a pain so didn't get one. I use a tie down strap to the handle and cargo net, just like I did in my SUV so it won't go flying if there was an accident.

We do use the Regent in the 3rd row on occasion and it is fine, though there is more room for legs if we use his Frontier. With the Regent we move the second row captains seat forward some, but not a ton. My son is 3'9" with long legs. My R is the six seat verson so 2, 2, 2. If you have the bench seat "7" seater, maybe it makes the area back there functionally smaller? We really like the two separate 3rd row seats since they are actually useful versus the claims of "seating 7" and being scrunched in other 3rd row cars. And the mileage is a deal breaker for a big SUV, this is our luxury "green" vehicle.

Our biggest crazy load ever was for this trip to the airport, four adults, two kids (in RF Marathon second row and Frontier in 3rd row that we took with us on the plane), six or seven pieces of checked luggage, more carry on luggage, and "ta da" a Baby Jogger City Series Double stroller in the stroller bag sitting on the lap of the adult who wanted to bring it (NOT ME!) in the second row passenger seat. We were the clown car at the sky cap, we just kept coming and so did the luggage. The trunk space always holds more than we ever think it will by just looking at it. This was the bursting point though. (I've also had an insane amount of Home Depot paint and supplies in it that the Home Depot guy said would never fit, that I needed a pick-up for. I took a picture of that with my camera phone that time, but the kids weren't with me though car seats were installed in the second row.)

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I was going to suggest the Mazda 5 too. We rented one on a long road trip and it was really nice. It has 3 rows but if you have the 3rd row in use there is very little cargo space. On the upside that means the car isn't as big as a minivan or SUV. It uses space efficiently. It's supposed to get 31MPG on the highway, not terrible. We are considering it for our next car because it would be nice to transport some of ds1's friends on occasion but I do not need a large car otherwise. It seems to be a nice compromise.

Beth

caribbeanmama
01-30-2009, 02:21 AM
I would love to fit three adults (including me) and the two kids, but am not sure if that is possible in a wagon. I have been peeking at the Volvo ( thanks Corie and Jeana) but have no experience with that company.

I have a 2001 Volvo V70 wagon that I have been mostly happy with. It is our third Volvo car so yes, we are big fans of this company. However, we are starting to have some issues with the wagon and might trade it in for an Odyssey in the future since we have three kiddos now.

That being said, I really like my wagon. I can fit three car seats across in the back seat believe it or not. With the right car seats, it is definitely doable to have three across or two car seats with space for another person. Right now I have a Britax Decathlon, a Radian and the Graco Safe Seat all across in the back.

graciebellesmomma
01-30-2009, 03:06 AM
We have a Volvo XC 90 and we often have 3 adults and 2 kids. We have a sunshine Radian and a booster for my daughter's friends. We have grandma with us quite often or even one of my friends or my dh's friends along with the kids.

In my opinion, two kids and an adult in the back seat is plenty roomy. We have the third row seats and use them infrequently.

I vote Volvo!

newmomm
01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm new here and this is my first post!

We LOVE our new Buick Enclave! It is a crossover and lower to the ground than some suv's but higher that a wagon. It is very luxurious and seats up to 8. We looked at the Pilot, Audi Q7, Volvo XC60 and Acura MDX and this one, by far, was the best for our family. We have a 7yo & 5yo niece that we watch a lot, a 9 week old baby girl and my dad who lives with us, so we needed something that seats 6 comfortably.

Clare

wolverine2
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I wish someone would make bigger station wagons again. We have a '02 Taurus wagon (the last year they were made) and I can fit 2 carseasts + 1 adult (or 3 carseats) in the back seat and still have the rear facing seat in the back. In a pinch, we've actually transported 5 adults and 2 kids (though the rear seat is meant for older kids, not adults). I don't know what we're going to do when this one gives out, as we'd really like to stay in a wagon. And we can fit so much stuff in the back- it seems to me that SUV's/minivans have more vertical space than "floor" space in the back. Are Volvo's as big as a Taurus? I've wondered if that's our only option (I still want the rear facing seat too) but don't want to spend that much...

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Would love more feedback on the Mazda 5 --- we're seriously considering it. Is there enough power in the engine when all four of you are in the car? How about six of you?

I find it has plenty of power. Of course, I came from a Nissan Sentra, so I wasn't used to a big engine. :)

With 6 passengers, the downside is lack of trunk space. It's a resonable trade off for us because the majority of the time we are 4. It's a cinch to pop up the back seats to take co-workers to lunch or whatever. All my co-workers love it. :love-retry: