PDA

View Full Version : I can't fall sleep with the closet door open.

Corie
01-29-2009, 05:56 PM
It freaks me out.

ThreeofUs
01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm with you, but I call it bad feng shui. ;)

Wife_and_mommy
01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Me either. I can't believe what my parents let me watch as a child. Nightmare on Elm St. at 8 yo.

DS doesn't like his open either. For naptime I completely close his bedroom door but for bedtime he likes it cracked. Makes me inclined to think it's the dark. He hasn't seen scary movies. ;)

Moneypenny
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
I just say it's wasteful to let the furnace heat the closet or the a/c cool the closet. Then I appear environmentally conscious rather than scared.

LarsMal
01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I have to leave the bathroom and closet doors open at night (which are all connected) or the heat gets trapped in there. I don't like sleeping with our bedroom door open, though. We leave it open a crack now so we can hear the kids (don't use monitors anymore) and I HATE it! I have this thing about wanting to hear an intruder opening the door so I can be prepared (FREAK!!).

I can't go to sleep unless I know the gate at the top of the stairs is closed.

elektra
01-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I thought DH was the only one with this issue! It doesn't bother me at all- maybe because I am kinda messy (beds unmade, closet doors open, etc.)? But DH will get upset if it's even open an inch. It just bothers him what might be lurking behind the door I guess. :)

veronica
01-29-2009, 07:23 PM
OMG- I am normal???????????? I hate this. All drawers have to be completely shut and closet and bathroom doors shut, even in DC's rooms. We call it "Boogeties" as in, Boogy-man and heeby geebies.......I'm surprised DH has put up with me this long

jerigirl
01-29-2009, 07:23 PM
He he! I have to have my closet door shut and my bedroom door open. I don't like to sleep with the door shut. I often get back up out of bed to open the door if it isn't when I first get in bed. DH jokes about all of my "rituals" I have before getting into bed.

DebbieJ
01-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I make DH close it every night. He usually leaves it open.

gatorsmom
01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Wow, something interupting my sleep? I can't even fathom it. The only thing getting me out of bed once I get there is a crying baby. And they have to be REALLY upset to get me out of bed.

Once I hit those sheets, everything else just fades magically away.......

Pennylane
01-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Wow, something interupting my sleep? I can't even fathom it. The only thing getting me out of bed once I get there is a crying baby. And they have to be REALLY upset to get me out of bed.

I'm with you! Once I'm in bed, not much can get me out. Escpecially an open door!

Ann

lmwbasye
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Ha ha....me neither. Closet door has to be closed, bathroom door has to be closed, I have to be under the blankets up to my shoulders, and the bedroom door usu. has to be closed. With DH gone, I've left the bedroom door cracked open a bit and have the TV on all night...sooooo bad for the environment, but I have THE WORST overactive imagination and it's a thousand times worse while DH is deployed. Planet earth will be happy when he gets back in April. :)

Oh, and ever since I saw The Sixth Sense, I won't let my feet dangle over the bed for more than a couple of seconds for fear someone will reach out from under and grab then.

Yes, I'm crazy!

MontrealMum
01-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Everyone knows that there are monsters in the closet. Of course I sleep with the door closed ;)

Gena
01-29-2009, 09:40 PM
When I was a child I could not sleep if the dolls in my room were watching me. Every night I would turn my dolls to face the wall, including the decorative figurines on my dresser. This was years before the Poltergiest movie came out; I still think that clown doll is the scariest thing in the film.

lizajane
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
um, duh. because there are monsters in there and leaving the door open is like you are saying, "hey guys, come on out and get me."

lizajane
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Ha ha....me neither. Closet door has to be closed, bathroom door has to be closed, I have to be under the blankets up to my shoulders, and the bedroom door usu. has to be closed. With DH gone, I've left the bedroom door cracked open a bit and have the TV on all night...sooooo bad for the environment, but I have THE WORST overactive imagination and it's a thousand times worse while DH is deployed. Planet earth will be happy when he gets back in April. :)

Oh, and ever since I saw The Sixth Sense, I won't let my feet dangle over the bed for more than a couple of seconds for fear someone will reach out from under and grab then.

Yes, I'm crazy!

ok, first of all... before i was medicated (ha ha, but seriously...) for anxiety, i slept with the bedroom door LOCKED when DH was out of town with ONE dog locked OUT of the room to stand guard and ONE dog locked IN the room to protect me!!!

i even PUT DS1 IN A PNP IN MY ROOM SO I COULD LOCK US IN!!!!!

craaaaaazy.

i can handle it now. but i still either 1)stay up super late watching tv so that i know i will go to sleep IMMEDIATELY or 2) drug myself with tylenol PM or melatonin.

and when i was a child, i NEVER let my feet hang over the bed. i even JUMPED from the bed across the room to hit the floor so they wouldn't "git me."

lizajane
01-29-2009, 09:50 PM

when i grow up, i want to be you, lisa.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Corie- sleep with your mask on, that will scare off any intruders!

Corie
01-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Corie- sleep with your mask on, that will scare off any intruders!

DH might like that. :)

BeccaB.
01-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only insane person out there. I haven't been able to sleep with drawers or closet doors open in my entire life. Until I was 12 my parents bedroom door had to be open until I fell asleep or I couldn't go to sleep. Any time they shut it before I fell asleep, I ran across the hall and opened the door. In hindsight I don't know how they put up with me.

Rebecca

Piglet
01-30-2009, 12:20 AM
I couldn't when I was younger, and always ran to close it... then I had kids and don't care where I am sleeping as long as I am sleeping!

wendibird22
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Absolutely, the closet door must be closed. That's where the monster is. DH laughs at me when I make him close it. I tell him that's where the monster is but he doesn't believe me.

maestramommy
01-30-2009, 10:58 AM

:hysterical::yeahthat:

brismom
01-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I am with you on this one. Closet doors have to be closed or I absolutely can not go to sleep. DH thinks it is silly but it is just something I seem to be unable to let go of

Moneypenny
01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
In addition to closed closet doors, the sheets must be pulled up over my neck so the vampires don't get me.

I wish I were kidding.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
We were burgled when i was about 14 years old. They even came upstairs into my fathers study and took the cash from his wallet. Since then I had never slept well, no matter what. Doors open,closed. It didn't matter. But then dh and I had our security system installed.

I sleep like a rock now. Gotta love it.

AngelaS
01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I perfer to have mine open so I can see that there's no boogie man in there. LOL

wendibird22
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I can't wait to get home from work and tell DH that I'm not the only one who needs the closet door closed. This is great! I'm not insane!