PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight, reclining, bumper bar/snacktray -- can I have it all?

dusterbuster
01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone! I'm having trouble finding a lightweight stroller (i.e., preferably 12 pounds or less would be ideal) with a reclining seat, and a bumper bar/snacktray that does not have to be removed from the stroller when folding. I've been searching but have not had much luck finding something that fits all of these criteria, except maybe a Combi. However, the Combi models don't seem to garner many favorable reviews on this forum.

FWIW, we have been using a BOB Revolution stroller for the past couple of months, and neither my ds or dw like the stroller. I like the BOB because it glides so smoothly (and looks kind of manly, :) ), but my 6.5 month old, 22 pounds ds (heavy guy) seems to kind of slump in the seat, which my dw hates, and cries whenever we put him in there, plus the BOB is a bit cumbersome to take in and out of the car. My dw thinks the baby would enjoy a stroller that had a bumper bar/snack tray which my ds could grab onto to sit upright in the stroller (rather than leaning/slumping back against the seatback).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

aliciamt7
01-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Have you looked at the Inglesina Zippy? Fits most of your criteria--only thing is it's 17 lbs, which is still considered lightweight for it's stroller type. Has a removable bumper bar and snack tray bar which you can interchange, and has a fully reclining seat. Dont have to remove the bumper to fold at all. Has a 1 hand easy fold and unfold, you can carry it with one hand if you like! Check out the video review on youtube, babygizmo.com did a video review of it and goes over the jist of the stroller!

salsah
01-29-2009, 11:58 PM
look at the bjcm. reclines fully, lightweight, crazy easy one hand fold, great canopy, decent storage, and large wheels. the snack tray and bumper bar are optional.

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2009, 12:11 AM
look at the bjcm. reclines fully, lightweight, crazy easy one hand fold, great canopy, decent storage, and large wheels. the snack tray and bumper bar are optional.

It's 17lbs though. :(

Beth

salsah
01-30-2009, 12:14 AM
It's 17lbs though. :(

Beth

i thought it's 15 lbs.

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2009, 12:16 AM
i thought it's 15 lbs.

I have seen both 16 and 17lbs listed. It felt about that range when I tried it out- definitely not as light as the Quest (12lbs). Still, it seems like a great stroller. :)

Beth

salsah
01-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I have seen both 16 and 17lbs listed. It felt about that range when I tried it out- definitely not as light as the Quest (12lbs). Still, it seems like a great stroller. :)

Beth

you're right, i just checked strollerqueen's website, it is 16.5 lbs. still considered lightweight though.

MamaKath
01-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Look for an Aprica. They are similar to Combi's but lighter in weight. They are available online.

A Mac Triumph might work if you added a tray/bumper bar (BabyTrend/Kolcraft tray type). That would have to come off for folding though at least on one side.

strollerqueen
01-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Unless it's a Combi or Aprica, the next lightest to look at is the Peg Aria. Not the greatest steering, but big basket, snack tray, and full canopy. They are pretty popular around here. I got one for fairs/festivals. I weighed it at 14 pounds. I think my last Combi weighed 12, so not a big difference.

dusterbuster
01-30-2009, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not sure if the new (2009) zippy has gotten heavier, but I noticed that the inglesina website lists the zippy as 20.7 pounds without the canopy, which seems a bit heavy for what we're looking for. The video review certainly made it look nice however (I think it was a slightly older model in the video).

The city mini looks interesting (wish it was a bit lighter). I'll have to see whether I can check it out in person. I'm a bit concerned the seatback looks like it might sag a bit (similar to the BOB, which causes the ds to kind of slump in the seat).

The Maclaren Quest is one of the models I've been looking at, and maybe we'll need to just compromise on the snacktray in order to get the lightweight. I've read that the Baby Trend snack tray needs to be removed in order to fold it up, which is unfortunate.

Melbel
01-30-2009, 08:28 AM

I second the BJCM. I LOVE the steering, canopy, recline, and ease of folding. I have a terrible back and needed a lightweight easy to fold stroller. After trying the BJCM in IRL, I found that the weight was very manageable, even 1 handed while holding the baby and lifting up into our SUV. We purchased the snack tray separately. From what I have read, you may still have the slouching problem though (not an issue with us yet).

dusterbuster
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Does the snack tray on the BJCM need to be removed in order to fold up the stroller? Any suggestions on stores that carry the BJCM so I can see it in person? I don't think BRU carries it in the store (I'm in the SF Bay Area).